1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Persian History

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Xshayathiya, Oct 23, 2005.

1. TheDervish

TheDervish Scion of the Achaemenids

Am I totally tripping, or does the guy in the "library" sound effect say "dorose"?

2. shahreevar

shahreevar Prince

true, the greeks did defeat the iranians(the Vietnam war anyone???), although the number of the persian army was not 1mil. also i dont think the people themselves were really at war with each other, the greeks were fascinated with the persians and viseversa.(or maybe this is wishfull thinking, but i think the two nations had a lot to learn from one another)
    but finally to anwer your question the language was Parsi, but because in arabic there is no P sound, it became Farsi (arabic for persia is Al-Faris), Arabic was the lingua franca of the Islamic world, and Persian was officially illegal for some time (although people indeed spoke it, it was not written)
    the early iranian-muslim scholars wrote in Arabic.

oh and i do think they should have a GREEK leader, not a mecedonian one!! ( his chin is too big lol
    and the movie alexander was :vomit:
    p.s. you would be surprized of the greek words that are used in modern persian, e.g. oghyanoos (ocean, i think okeanus in greak, not sure about the spelling)

3. Xshayathiya

Xshayathiya Warlord

The army was said to be 5 million by Herodotus, since herodotus wrote his book years after the wars, this estimate is considered to be far exagerated. A modern estimate is 100,000. which is still huge.

Well the reason we were at war to begin with is that the greeks were instigating revolution in our asia minor provinces. now if they had been nice and kept to themselves, we wouldnt have invaded them ;)

wait untill the Cyrus movie comes out. that should be very good. :D
    And yes, the greek influences on persian and vice versa are indeed many. for example we both have baklava :p

4. shahreevar

shahreevar Prince

hmmm, i hope so, i heard that they are asking sean connery to paly as cyrus :eek: i would be nice to get someone younger, maybe someone who is actually iranian ;)

5. Ruffin

Ruffin Warlord

The funny thing to me was always the Philistines. When the Romans sacked Jerusalem in 70AD they renamed the province after the Philistines. But they Romanized it to 'Palestine'. Now the Arabs are using the Roman name Palestine, but pronouncing it with an F... as Filistine. 2500 years of history and the Hebrews are still fighting the Philistines. I keep waiting for David and Goliath.

If you don't have an F in your alphabet, how do you spell "Pfffffttt!"?

If I start with the Greeks next to me I just quit and start a new game. Alexander is unbearable.

Doesn't surprise me at all about the language. Alexander took to Greek culture like a Hollywood celebrity to French. He wanted to be Greek, but then he forced his generals to marry Persians in an effort to sythesize a new, monolithic Hellenic/Persian culture. It would be interesting to see what would have happened if he'd succeeded.

(Stephen Barnes actually set a couple of books in a world where Alexander lived. The main characters are a Sufi plantation owner in 1800s America and his Irish slave.)

6. TheDervish

I wasn't even aware of a Cyrus the Great movie. Can someone please point me to website, or working title?

Ben Kingsley played at least 1 Iranian role in the past, and I think he mentioned something about being part Iranian or having some tie to Persians. I think he would do better, but then again there's the age factor.

7. shahreevar

shahreevar Prince

the persian alphabet is same as arabic + 4 more letters/sounds i.e.
    G... like the G in God
    ch... like church
    p...like peter
    j or zh... like s in pleasure

8. shahreevar

shahreevar Prince

there is no specific web site that i know of. this is more like a rumor, and they say this is most expensive british film ever!!!

ben kingsly btw is indian, he changed he name from and indian name to his current name (screen name)

9. Xshayathiya

Xshayathiya Warlord

The rumers state that Ben Kingsley and Sean Connery were the people initially considered for the part. Currently, the rumers are that connery has got the role and angelina jolie has the part of his empress. The movie will be the most expensive independant brittish movie ever made, with a budget of £50 million. The sultan of brunei is apparently one of the people investing in it. It wouldnt be bad if the Pahlavi family or even the iranian government decide to also invest.

10. Xshayathiya

Xshayathiya Warlord

11. Xshayathiya

Xshayathiya Warlord

lol, the old GazhPach :D (Ahhh the memories from first grade);)

12. KingAl

KingAl RHPS Criminologist

Hear hear. I mean, they have Gaul i.e. France, for Gods sake (not meaining any offence). There are certainly many barbarians in the game that are part of or have become civilisations.

P.S.: Someone else may have mentioned this, I've only read page 1 so far.

13. KingAl

KingAl RHPS Criminologist

Don't be suprised about Persia's inclusion. Persia was a massive power for an extensive period of time. If any civilisation deserves inclusion, then Persia does.

14. shahreevar

shahreevar Prince

looooooooooool, yeah some thing u can never forget, gachpaj is inscribed into my brain for ever.......:)

15. TheDervish

Ah, nevermind then. I know Kingsley played an Iranian colonel in "House of Sand and Fog", though.

16. cyrusIII85

cyrusIII85 Warlord

LOL...I didn't know that Xshayathiya was also active here! :lol: I first met him on the Prince of Persia forums. Does anyone know if he's still active? Anyway, it's SOOOO erie that we mention nearly the exact same things...

17. The Q-Meister

The Q-Meister King

"Fascist Macedonian psychopath"? Isn't that a wee bit of an exaggeration? Remember we can't put our modern standards on someone that lived in a completely different era; for if we did, EVERYONE of that time period would look like a monster.

BTW, I am pleased to inform you that in all likelihood Pericles will be included as a Greek leader in an upcoming Civ IV expansion pack. :D I know I will look forward to playing the Greeks as him!

18. The Q-Meister

The Q-Meister King

So how are you guys doing with trying to get Firaxis to change the Persian entry for Civ? Has anyone gotten any responses? Also, has anyone here created a more accurate Persian mod (with a more accurate Persian flag, immortal unit, etc) for those of us that want something to play with in the meantime?

19. atreas

atreas King

At first, I agree completely to the fact that each nation should have his real historical notes, not some widely inacurrate notes that just reflect the (usually inacurrate) beliefs of others. This is especially profound for the more ancient nations, who have some thousands years of history behind them. But Persians are not the only one that suffers from this (quite modern and a bit "western" disease). One of my Turk friends told me once that for them it is very irritating (or even insulting) to be considered "Arabs" - so I can really understand all these statements that really reflect the modern lack of knowledge for other's people history.

But some (few) of the other comments in this forum are also equally inaccurate. It makes you wonder if the people writing here have ever read any kind of serious (and, even better, from many different sources) history books. I am trying my best to be a real "citizen of the world", with many friends from many different nations, and I have learnt a very simple rule of thumb: when you try to understand what is the origin of something, study the word itself and it will show you the truth (because each word has an internal meaning only in the language IT BELONGS, as is profound with the word "algebra" that was already noted).

For example, "Persian" has internal interpretation in their own language, so noone else can claim it. The same applies to other words like "Constantine", "Elizabeth", "Victoria", etc. The same applies also to the word "Alexander" - it has an internal meaning to only one language (in fact, it means "he who defends men"). Something very strange is happening here, according to some of the theories of this thread. It makes you wonder why!

Each nation has the right to be what IT WANTS to be, but history cannot be rewritten according to any nation's will. Since we are not historians, we could do much better if we just state what is insulting for our nation (as done in this thread, at a percentage of more than 90%), than try to rewrite history for all the others.

20. Brighteye

Brighteye intuitively Bayesian

As I recall from studying ancient Greek the Ionian cities were Greek settlers and the Greeks were not fomenting rebellion in Persian lands; some of the civilians of the cities themselves were quite keen to be independent of Persian rule, as they had been originally. Of course Persian historians would say that they were Persian territory, and no doubt many other citizens also considered themselves Persian and wanted to be independent of the Greek city states. To state the facts in such a way as to imply that the Greeks were somehow the aggressors overlooks the fact that the cities were founded by the Greeks. In Civ you don't regard one of your cities as an AI city because he captured it for a few turns. You want it back!
    When reading histories you need to consider who wrote it. I'm sure that the account written here doesn't intentionally contain historical inaccuracies, but it still has bias. A different historian might decide that after a few hundred years of being part of the Arab empire Iran cannot really be called the same Persia that had an empire millenia ago, even if it has many cultural customs that predate the Arab invasion.
    A civilisation's existence isn't defined entirely by culture, but also perhaps by whether it continues as an independent entity. Rome fell and although the empire continued to exist in the east it isn't the Roman civilisation/empire that we all think of. Similarly Persia fell, and although it may have been resurrected this new Persia isn't the Persian empire that Firaxis is trying to portray.