1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Persian History

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Xshayathiya, Oct 23, 2005.

1. TheDervish

TheDervish Scion of the Achaemenids

I can do a screen cap of the flag, otherwise I couldn't find it on google.

I think Faravahar could be implemented for the flag easier than the golden sign, that would be great, actually!

2. Xshayathiya

Xshayathiya Warlord

3. mhkhosravi

mhkhosravi Chieftain

I cannot play without flag of Persia
    It would be a lot better to use special war chariots instead of Immortal.
    Do they still use Scimitar for flag of persia :confused: ?

4. Parsis

Parsis Chieftain

Here you go:

5. TheDervish

6. trotskylite

trotskylite Warlord

all of that does seem a bit too much of an affront

7. Xshayathiya

Xshayathiya Warlord

yeah i dont like that scimitar at all. thanks for posting it. The picture they have for the immortal is also pretty bad, the guy's dressed up like an arab, well at least he has a spear and not a sword, lol.

8. TheDervish

I do like this quote. Anyone have a cleaned up version of it? They have it at the United Nations.

9. Liberator05

Liberator05 Chieftain

Hello Guys,

I've also noticed this HUGE ERROR by Firaxis Games and am determined to get it fixed and i'm sure you share that sentiment with me. Therefore we've come up with a (protest)template that can be used and sent of to the responsible authorities for this issue to be resolved. I've included it below. Thanks to X's edited version of the text. If you have any comments please don't hesitate to write.

Send your emails of concern to (if you have other contact info please bring it to our attention):

dbriggs@firaxis.com
    lriehl@firaxis.com
    dbriggs@firaxis.com

For those of you that live in the States it might be a good idea (in addition to sending an email) to write/call Firaxis regarding this issue:

Firaxis Games
    11350 McCormick Road
    Executive Plaza III; Suite 1100
    Hunt Valley, MD 21031

Phone:
    410-891-3001

ALSO:

Game Feedback - Fill out the form on this link: http://www.firaxis.com/company/gamefeedback.php

"AskSid" section of the official website for Civilization IV:

http://www.firaxis.com/community/asksid.php

On the above link:

"If you want to ask Sid a question, send an email to webmaster@firaxis.com. Put "Ask Sid" in the subject line. Please note that we cannot answer all questions submitted to this forum. Due to the quantity of "Ask Sid" emails we recieve, we ask that you please refrain from sending us new game ideas."

THe draft we've come up with looks like this:

Send it off as soon as possible.

Ba Sepaas

10. Liberator05

Liberator05 Chieftain

This is taken from Firaxis Games' own website! Please read this:

http://www.firaxis.com/community/teacher.php

11. ImmortalU

ImmortalU Chieftain

Being a persian aswell, i fully agree with your statements.
    I also noticed the Hafezie in the background as was slightly confused with it.... even though it is generally in the correct geographical location (near shiraz).
    Also, i think that civilopedia is very inconsistent, It doesnt take into account what Ferdosi's Shahnameh (Epic of Kings) did, which was re-kindle the persian culture in a massive way and as a result caused the persian culture and traditions to be reborn again.

Lets hope we can correct this!

12. Xshayathiya

Xshayathiya Warlord

cool, sending the letter now

13. Atlanto

Atlanto Chieftain

Well done to all who are doing so much to ensure that the truth is told..

I am half persian, and find that in civ, as in many outside sources, the representation of Persian history is quite bias and sometimes wrong.

Persian culture has in fact stood the test of time, even after thoasands of years of invasions, the persian civilization never crumbled, and technically only changed its name from persia to iran some 70 years ago.

I was also extrememly by the remarks that persia died with the dawn of the Arab world (or something to that matter).

Nevertheless, i appreciate sid's and firifax's efforts in bringing us a game that gives us the opportunity to learn about cultures, and various civilizations (even when the information can be slightly tainted!)

14. TheDervish

I was also extrememly by the remarks that persia died with the dawn of the Arab world (or something to that matter).

Nevertheless, i appreciate sid's and firifax's efforts in bringing us a game that gives us the opportunity to learn about cultures, and various civilizations (even when the information can be slightly tainted!)

My sediment is same. Although I dislike the inaccurate statements made in the history part, I think this is the first American computer game with Persian speaking units. Has any other game gotten this deep into Persian history and language? Playing as the Persian Empire? It's a very nice prospect indeed! They just need to fix a couple of sentences in their history section.

EDIT: It sort of reads like an apologist post, but believe me, I am all for changing the inaccuracies. I am merely thankful that there's something to correct at all! As someone from Persian background, I am quite proud of that rich history.

And I just sent a letter to Sid :)

Meh, and I forgot to ask why Cyrus the Great of 5th century BC is standing in front of Hafez's tomb, erected on or about 15th century AD :p He should be standing by the Gate of All Nations.

15. Ex-Cop

Ex-Cop Warlord

Nice thread, Agree with all the comments. Got to admit though, the persian voices are cool, down to the Shomal Shahr accents.
    I would like to see Khomeini as a possible leader also. Firs post monarchy leader of the region.
    What are your thoughts?

16. TheDervish

I'm not totally fluent in Persian, so I didn't know exactly where that dialect was from. I just knew that wasn't how the people in Tehran spoke. Is that how they speak in Shomal nowadays?

I agree, they did a great job with the Persian voices. Maybe someone in Firaxis is Persian and oversaw quality control :p

I would have liked to see Mossadeq as a leader, but he wasn't in charge very long ...

17. Ruffin

Ruffin Warlord

Okay, you brought it up so as a good Greek (partial, anyway) I have to respond: Marathon. Thermopylae. Salamis. Plataea. Cunaxa (okay, that was an intramural on your part, but our guys kicked tail).

Notice I'm not mentioning Guagamela or Granicus. You have a legitimate gripe about Civ's Persian "history", but we're stuck with a fascist Macedonian psychopath as our only leaderhead. Was Pericles not available? At least someone Greek?

Oh, and can anyone explain why the language is Farsi, not Parsi? The name "Persian" comes from the Pars province, right? So I would assume the language would be Parsi. Unless the name came to English in Arabic and they replaced the P with an F. Anyway... always was curious about that.

18. Griffinfuhrer

Griffinfuhrer Chieftain

I too, have always been confused why people considered the Arab invasion the end of Persia. It was only the beginning of a new Islamic Persia that is still around today.

19. Xshayathiya

Xshayathiya Warlord

;) Of course i didnt mention those battles. Yeah i feel sorry for you guys, at least we have a good leader. :goodjob:

Persia was the word the greeks gave us, Fars is what we call it ourselves.

20. ImmortalU

ImmortalU Chieftain

should it be Pars.... ;)