Philippe II techs

ozymandias said:
:confused: I thought Dialogho sopra i due massimi sistemi dei mondo was a description of apparent terrestrial motion? Wouldn't, e.g., Bacon's Historia naturalis et experimentalis of 1622 be as good a starting point for the scientific method?

Il dialogo sopra i due massimi sistemi is the first notify of scientific world against Church predominion. Galileo in this book confirm Kepler theories and refuse Tolomee's one. Because he was persecuted by Holy inquisition, I think that this work is a good example of our scie method. Also Galileo is the first who have theorized the sperimental method, the foundament of our sci method.

Rufus T.Firefly said:
Il dialogo sopra i due massimi sistemi is the first notify of scientific world against Church predominion. Galileo in this book confirm Kepler theories and refuse Tolomee's one. Because he was persecuted by Holy inquisition, I think that this work is a good example of our scie method. Also Galileo is the first who have theorized the sperimental method, the foundament of our sci method.

Ah! Mille grazie :)

-Oz

capman said:
LouLong, check out the map Kubz attached. He forces the Spanish to be at sea at least one turn by not having any ports in Flanders.
Exactly what I had in mind. One of the many reasons the Spanish Armada failed was due to the fact the Spanish ships could not anchor in port in the Netherlands due to their size. This allowed the English to harrass the Spanish Armada while the Spaniards waited for the Duke of Parma's army to arrive and board the ships. Of course the Duke would never arrive and the English sent fire ships (ships set afire and laden with explosives) into the Armada. I'm not sure how they possibly could be implemented, but Fireships would be an interesting unit idea.

Kubz said:
[...] Of course the Duke would never arrive and the English sent fire ships (ships set afire and laden with explosives) into the Armada. I'm not sure how they possibly could be implemented, but Fireships would be an interesting unit idea.

Hmmm ... It's a bit extreme, but tag them as nukes? :confused: It might make them overly powerful, but they could presumably only be used against other ships ... Although now that I think of it ships in port could be a problem ...

fire ships are an interesting idea albeit I thought they were used more frequently in later periods.

The idea of having no Spanish harbors in the Low Countries is interesting but does not fit with my map (much more detailed and localized than Kubz's).

exemple :

LouLong said:
fire ships are an interesting idea albeit I thought they were used more frequently in later periods.

The idea of having no Spanish harbors in the Low Countries is interesting but does not fit with my map (much more detailed and localized than Kubz's).

exemple :

Why don't you change your map? remove Oostende and the other ports are perhaps too far away from the english coast

Sorry this has taken so long -- R/L & all...

Techs (and what I imagine going with them) are:

1. Magnetic Compass (something good for ships ... :) )
2. Snaphaunce (early flintlock; troop type ...?)
3. Forced Transport (colonist generating wonder)
4. Postal Service (commerce improvement)
5. Battlefield Medecine (as usual)
6. Modern Measuring Instruments (meant to include mobile clocks; thermometer; etc. -- Telescope Wonder)
7. Advanced Cartography (Mercator's Atlas Wonder)
8. Advanced Financial Instruments (Stock Market)
9. Mill Machinery (factory/mill)
10. Oriental Trade (some trade / sea wonder ...)
11. Advanced Harbors (representing sluices; new harbor improvement)
12. Scientific Method (Academy small wonder)
13. The Flintlock (more troops ...)

-- Thoughts / comments / feedback?

-Oz

ozymandias said:
10. Oriental Trade (some trade / sea wonder ...)
More than one country has had a East India Company, sounds like a given wonder to me. :D
Or maybe even a small wonder...

Some nice ideas for the tech-tree. Combined with what I have already I should be able to make it alright.

I have sorted things out with Spanish-held Netherlands by keeping only Antwerpen as a harbor but distant enough so that Spain cannot land within one turn.

BTW if Scotsmen, Irish or English want to check the cities I have placed (I am not sure for some of them that might be modern) and by providing some names of cities for Wales, Cornwales, East England generally speaking).

Some news.

It is advancing well, albeit slowly. I just need to finish adding and checking the improvements' pcx and add them (if necessary) to the city.
Then I am waiting for some Cossack conversions to be released (mostly mounted units).

Here are some of the units, mostly new.

And here is an overwiew of the map and the way it is shared by the different civs (9 at the moment, the HRE being more a nuisance or a trading opportunity than anything else, and 8 without the HRE for the PBEM version).

It shows me as well I need to change the civ colors for they are a bit messy at the moment...

Ok, approaching the final phase.

Still missing a few icons (mostly for improvements and wonders, a few for techs and units) that I am "entering" or looking for...
Then I can enter the data (techs, units) and the game can be playtested.

But I get two problems :

- the tech boxes in the scientific advisor screen are not big enough to fit the tech title. Any way (except shortening the title) out of that ?
That prevents me from finishing the screen by linking the techs.
Another weird thing is that when you "highlight" a tech, a strange commentary appears. Should I change some text in script or somewhere else ? Or can I erase it ?

- eagerly awaiting a few Cossack conversions needed (Rider, ....) by Steph.

Now I guess these units could be replaced by place holders for the testing.

So anyone here interested in doing some testing (normally OK next monday with or without the new units and if possible with a clean-looking screen).

Thanks to Ozy for the tech-tree, that helped me a lot. The final one is fine and balanced I think (no rush along unit improvements tech-line) but slightly complicated at place (I might move again two techs (Mobile Clocks and Mills).

Preview below (of course I wanted to show you the ancient one but it is just a black square with a yellow question mark ! ;) ):

LouLong said:
But I get two problems :

- the tech boxes in the scientific advisor screen are not big enough to fit the tech title. Any way (except shortening the title) out of that ?
That prevents me from finishing the screen by linking the techs.
Another weird thing is that when you "highlight" a tech, a strange commentary appears. Should I change some text in script or somewhere else ? Or can I erase it ?
Well when you are playing on not debug the sentences are just shortened(by writing "Military...") and it looks ok. The strange commentaries are written in the script.txt file, its easy to change. They are sorted by number(the first tech in the editor gets the first text from the script file).

Thanks Yoda ! And nice to see you are still around. Will need to get on MSN one of these days.
Too bad for the script. I thought I was through with Pedia txt and now I have to do the script...

CALL FOR PLAYTESTERS IN ABOUT A WEEK !

Nobody interested ???

Top Bottom