[GS] Phoenicia Livestream Discussion

So civs smashing city-states is still an issue.

Is anyone else concerned about the lack of generic modern units? I didn't catch Rome running around with Legions, but I can see their lack of resources in the above picture.

It just bothers me seeing Legions running around in the information era. Which is in the 1800's apparently. They still haven't fixed the pacing. I would be okay if they just sped up the year count since they obviously aren't going to slow down tech progress. I get annoyed at being in the information era in the 1800's.

Okay that was fun, but back to sleep for Bite

Well I called way earlier, by accident, that they would show the Future Era in the Phoenician livestream!

So with the new Science victory it'll take 75 turns to complete the Exoplanet Expedition on Epic pace if you don't speed up it? I like that, it sounds like the Future era adds a good amount of time to the game. I know you can speed it up, hopefully it will be tough to speed it up due to your opponents going for SV too.

I like the change to the Science Victory. I was hoping for something more active, like the old Civ 1 system where you built competing racing rockets, but I never expected the dev team would go in that direction.

This is even better than the Civ 1 system, as you can affect the speed of your ship after it's launched. And affect the speed of the opposition ships as well by, you know, "interfering".

If the AI is even half ways competent, Science Victories may be a lot of fun to go after.

Obviously if you you can interfere with the AI's ships in the Exoplanet Expedition project they can interfere with yours, I hope the AI will be good at interfering. Or at the very least attempting to.

Unless Eleanor is really something special, Phoenicia will definitely be my first civ to play. Love their aesthetic and mechanics.

Also, that multi queue looks amazing for late game city management!

With the longer SV, one question remains:

Does it mean that many players will just win CV by accident even more now? Yes, I know about the rock bands. But I don’t see anything that actually slows down the tourism spread in comparison with RnF. Also, DipV.

By the way, a fully developed modern Cothon looks absolutely gorgeous. Probably the prettiest UD in the game.
:agree:
It really makes the other unique harbor underwhelming. I mean to me there wasn't that much difference from that than a regular harbor to begin with other than it doesn't start off as wooden and there seems to be an extra warehouse/commissioner's house building?

With the longer SV, one question remains:

Does it mean that many players will just win CV by accident even more now? Yes, I know about the rock bands. But I don’t see anything that actually slows down the tourism spread in comparison with RnF. Also, DipV.

Not necessairly, unless you roll a game where each Civ is abbhorent wt Culture game and you manage to to dominate with Tourism, (which btw, you are going to get a reduction in if you adopt Synthethic Technocracy) you won't generate nearly as much Tourism, Computers now only give +50% Tourism and not +100%, which is a huge drop. So less tourism will be generated.

Not necessairly, unless you roll a game where each Civ is abbhorent wt Culture game and you manage to to dominate with Tourism, (which btw, you are going to get a reduction in if you adopt Synthethic Technocracy) you won't generate nearly as much Tourism, Computers now only give +50% Tourism and not +100%, which is a huge drop. So less tourism will be generated.
Ah, missed the Computers nerf. Then it’s gonna be comparable.

So say you launch your spaceship and are happy with your civ, except for building the laser or whatever. Is it going to be a literal 30 turns of hitting "End Turn?"
I think it is designed to be fun if it's close and you need to get all boost you can get while sabotaging the enemy that has launched a mission as well. It's not designed to be fun when you are clearly leading in the science victory. Or maybe there's an emergency "he launched the exoplanet mission, let's all team up on him"

So with the new Science victory it'll take 75 turns to complete the Exoplanet Expedition on Epic pace if you don't speed up it? I like that, it sounds like the Future era adds a good amount of time to the game. I know you can speed it up, hopefully it will be tough to speed it up due to your opponents going for SV too.

So I wonder if this changes what victories people pursue. Religious and Domination will be the absolute fastest without a doubt. Depending on what they do with cultural victory that may be next followed by Diplomatic victory. Science victory is looking the slowest. It's hard to judge until we actually play of course.

Did they mention any way to stop a science victory from the AI or other player? I thought they would cover it, but they didn't. I imagine spaceport operation is still available for spies, but what about after they launch? Does the new science victory make the AI more difficult to beat on deity?

And is royal society still a thing? I'm calling royal society is getting reworked (I called it in the Overview thread). With this many projects (especially those that win you things like international games and such), using builders to speed those up with be OP. And with space victory changing this radically I think royal society would have to be changed.

So say you launch your spaceship and are happy with your civ, except for building the laser or whatever. Is it going to be a literal 30 turns of hitting "End Turn?"

If the AI is as passive in the late game as it is in RF, yes.

Here's hoping it's not, and that you're spending those turns working to prevent one of the AIs from winning before your ship arrives.

:agree:
It really makes the other unique harbor underwhelming. I mean to me there wasn't that much difference from that than a regular harbor to begin with other than it doesn't start off as wooden and there seems to be an extra warehouse/commissioner's house building?

Brazil's UDs are the worst in design, as they are just the same without anything more in design. Copacabana is a beach, not a water park with a wooden docks.

yeah, I am happy that they collapsed the 3 mars modules into 1 mars project. And I think an exoplanet expedition is a neat scifi idea. But I fear that the new SV is going to be super boring and tedious. A base time of 50 years for the last project is insanely long, especially since you've already done 3 big projects to get to that point. Granted you can speed it up. But even 30 turns is way too long because I fear it is going to be just hitting "end turn" 30 times.

Top Bottom