• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Pink/Purple text shadows?

Dauntless

Chieftain
I don't know if anybody else is having this problem (or even if it is a problem at all? :confused: ) But some of the text in Civ 3 Conquests looks really wierd since the shadow colour is Purple/Pink!

Example 1 - Domestic Screen

Example 2 - Diplomacy Screen

It also happens online when other players' names and text appear Pink/Purple when they chat. Is anybody else having this?

EDIT

Sorry, i forgot the CPU spec...

AMD Athlon 1.91 ghz
768mb DDRSD RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6800gt Pro, 256mb

Cant think of anything else that would cause these abnormal shadows. Oh, and the game is fully patched and loaded aswell

It looks like that all the time on the Mac version if I switch on Apple's Quartz font smoothing. We were advised by the engineer who ported Civ3 to the Mac that this is due to the fact that Civ3 uses magenta to identify transparent areas and this clashes with the graphics transparency system used to smooth fonts. It's interesting that it also shows up on a PC - probably due to the hardware acceleration in your graphics card.

Here are comparative screenies with Quartz text switched OFF and ON. Although the pink is a bit weird I prefer it to the spidery black.

[Edit] The Mac version is Civ3 1.29 / vanilla. But I don't expect they made any changes in the basic graphics when they produced Conquests.

Attachments

• QuartzEffect.jpg
    QuartzEffect.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 178
Ah, I see, that'd make sense. Do you, or anybody else know if theres a way to get rid of it? I dunno why, but the Purple shadow just looks a bit ugly to me ;)

EDIT

D'oh, I'm an idiot, I should've mentioned I'm running Conquests. Should've posted in the Conquests Support forum :sad: Sorry about that :blush:

As alan said, its probably because you're using font smoothing.

Go to control panel and choose 'display properties'.
On the appearence tab, select 'effects'. There is a drop down that says "use the following method to smooth the edges of screen fonts" Turn-off 'clear type'. That should fix it.

Top Bottom