Placing a Great Person on a poor tile?

For a simple fix I'd rather see the unrevealed resource moved to an adjacent tile. Or, if adjacent tiles are not an option, to another tile inside the borders of the unlucky player.

Unrevealed for one player doesn't mean unrevealed for every player.

Don't have sources, but remember the same.

I think putting early scientist on tiles is a good idea, since it will result in more than one tech through the game. but surely later scientists should be spent on direct research only.

Yes, Greg has shown us Writing takes 50 beakers to research, so early Academy improvements are really powerful in getting far more techs earlier. Of course as techs near the 1000 beakers cost mark, bulbing will already be a far more effective strategy. It's a matter of early investment yielding great compound interest (faster techs means even faster techs -- the faster you get Writing the earlier you can have a Library), versus instant results.

There are many simple fixes for unrevealed strat source

a) have the GP reappear after getting a resource discovered under them ( NO WAY I WANT MY ACADEMY ON A COAL MINE) --- that would make those buildings extra worthwhile cause you could get tons of bonuses off it, and then if youre lucky pop a tech later on.

b) make strat resources just not appear where GP buildings are, and appear on a nearby tile ( if the resources are placed at map generation which might not be the case anymore?)

I think b) is the least exploitable solution. Simply shift the resource to a nearby tile, if possible of the same terrain type, and the player will simply never know it hadn't been there the whole time.

This is an old problem really.. a simlar thing always happened in Civ 4. You'd build a cottage, and have it build all the way to a town to have oil or uranium appear below it.

I think b) is the least exploitable solution. Simply shift the resource to a nearby tile, if possible of the same terrain type, and the player will simply never know it hadn't been there the whole time.
Moving resources around is really weird. I think its highly unlikely they'd go tthat way.

This is an old problem really.. a simlar thing always happened in Civ 4. You'd build a cottage, and have it build all the way to a town to have oil or uranium appear below it
Sure, but the investment of a cottage is much less than investing an entire great person.

Unrevealed for one player doesn't mean unrevealed for every player.

Yes, it's just a fix, not a "satisfactory solution". Maybe it is an intentional design decision, although from the reactions here in the thread, there's not much enthusiasm for this GP building on resource dilemma.

Probably some more ink will flow, until we are able to test what really happens or 2K Greg tells us.

I'm not sure that +5 is such a small bonus, it really depends what multiplier buildings are available.

Assuming there is some equivalent(s) of the Oxford University, and you are smart about making a single super-science city, that +5 will be worth quite a bit more - and since you are able to use multiple GS within one city's borders it could be a good way of exploiting the bonus of any unique science multiplier buildings.

It's not like removing the GP improvement will retroactively roll back all of the gain you've gotten from it. Seems like it's not that big of a deal. You have options:

1) Destroy GP improvement for resource.
2) Build on another of the resources you have in your territory.
3) Attack your neighbor and take his resource.

If you build a GP improvement on a tile that later ends up being a resource, that's a bummer.

You don't need to have a perfect game every game. If you end up having to wipe a GP improvement to create some other critical improvement, such is the breaks.

I don't think you need to be rewarded or compensated - it'll just be the luck of the draw. Poop happens.

I'm a gameplay > realism person but historically, some great structures have been obliterated or torn down for whatever reason. This mechanic mimics it.

We should get enough GP per game and have an extensive enough empire that wiping out one +5 sci building to build an oil field doesn't end the game.

Plus, I think most of use would only build the +5 sci building early. Late it probably won't have the impact. If you build one early and eventually convert it to an oil field (for ex), you have probably got a ton of value out of it by then and losing that +5 would probably not be a big deal.

I don't think elaborate solutions to this are required that ultimately are saying, I want everything.

Top Bottom