• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Plains hills and the extra hammer

ETa

Chieftain
I just learned that you get 1 extra hammer when settling on a plains hill. What's the idea here? Why has it been made so special?

I´m not sure what you mean... Do you find it odd that you get 1 extra hammer on a plain hill or are you asking why that is so? I don´t know myself. Thats just how it is. Perhaps you can find some mods/patches that removes the extra hammer.

it's not special as you get 1 less food , so its no better than grassland , just depends what you would prefer , 1 more food or 1 more production.

it's not special as you get 1 less food , so its no better than grassland , just depends what you would prefer , 1 more food or 1 more production.

Look at that. Looks like plains hills are the unique and best city centers.

Plains hill with marble or stone is better (3 hammers).

This is how it works:

City always gets 2 food, 1 hammer, 1 commerce at least.

If the value of the underlying tile (i.e. disregarding any overlays, i.e. forest, jungle or flood plains) beats 2F1H1C, then the improved value is used instead of the basic value.

This includes the bonus food, hammer or commerce you get from some resources. Settling on a food resource gives you 3F, but then you can't improve the tile.

Note: You can't build a city on an Oasis tile.

If the value of the underlying tile (i.e. disregarding any overlays, i.e. forest, jungle or flood plains) beats 2F1H1C, then the improved value is used instead of the basic value.

This includes the bonus food, hammer or commerce you get from some resources. Settling on a food resource gives you 3F, but then you can't improve the tile.

Interesting. Still it seems that plains hill is as unique as city center as any resource square.

That's because the base value of every other square (without resources or trees) is <= 2F1H1C.

(With the Oasis caveat of course).

If you could settle on an Oasis, you'd get a special bonus of course

Spoiler :

You'd get a roll with it

FYI, settling on a food resource only gives 3F city centers if the basic yield of the tile is 3F. No bonus settling on cows, plains wheat etc.
Otherwise it is all correct.

Go into WB add an oasis river stone hill plain. Its like 4 food 4 hammers 3 commerce.

I love settling on plains hills.
Deserts are another tile I love to settle on, because it turns an otherwise useless tile (production wise) into something good. You get the same production from the desert city as the grassland city... so, better to go desert!

Deserts are another tile I love to settle on, because it turns an otherwise useless tile (production wise) into something good. You get the same production from the desert city as the grassland city... so, better to go desert!
Moreover, you can pretend you govern fremen.

Moreover, you can pretend you govern fremen.

Someone needs to make a mod of that.

UU: Sandworm
18 Atk
Collateral Damage
+50% def in desert
2 movement in desert
cargo space: 1 non armor/siege
Cannot enter any space adjacent to water
Req: Spice

UB: Sietch
+50% defense
+1 Unhealthiness
All units cost +50% hammers (attrition due to nasty environment/training)
All units gain 2 free promotions
Settlers and workers constructed in this city have atk pwr 6

Leaders:

Paul Atreides: PHI, CHA

Stilgar: PRO, AGG

@ Nikolai1: Already done: Dune Wars Mod An great set of work done by some very dedicated folks.

On topic: I find these bonuses are most important in the early game when it is a much larger % boost to your production and there are other tiles to improve. Later on I prefer to keep tiles like hills for mines/windmills.

If you could settle on an Oasis, you'd get a special bonus of course

Spoiler :

You'd get a roll with it

Except the oasis prevents settling...
Even if you could settle in a tile where there is a oasis, the oasis would be removed when settling, like all the other overlays ( stuff, like forests, jungle, flood plains ... )

Well, don't look back in anger.

Top Bottom