Planet Simulator

The next release of Planet Simulator is here! This release includes bugfixes and the incorporation of some of Bobert13's Beyond Earth code. Detailed changes are in the changelog at the start of the file, but of particular note is the removal of the bug causing rivers to sometimes end too soon when flowing into an inland sea.

Given the enthusiasm for Communitas-style resources and natural wonders, I have started looking at integrating those, and they are currently my principle goal for the next release. It looks like those two together are what's covered by Communitas' override of some AssignStartingPlots functions, so I'm hoping that porting those into Planet Simulator will be a relatively straightforward process. That said, it's somewhere around 3000 lines of code I'll be merging in, and the ASP code is really fundamental to how Civ generates its maps, so there are bound to be challenges.

As always, please let me know if you find any bugs or if you have any requests. I'll try hard to address bugs, and while I make no promises about fulfilling requests, I am more excited about working on features other people are also enthusiastic about.
What a fantastic map script! I find it hard to describe justly other than . . realistic? I can wholeheartedly recommend it to any Civ V player, including Vox Populi users. Big props to you guys. :c5happy:

It may be the best map script out there and it seems to work great with Vox Populi mod, but it still has its downsides.

While over-abundance of desert can be easily cured by adjusting some numbers as mentioned in the discussion earlier, sadly there seems no easy way to make it produce inland seas and lakes. The best this mapscript can produce is a couple of one-tile lakes on a large/huge map. Lakes larger than one hex are impossible altogether. This is very sad because inland water adds so much realism, sexiness and is also necessary to utilize a certain pantheon.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the code, you're a top man! I'll be trying it soon.

I had already tried printing to the lua.log file to see the effect. I have a variable 'target' that I was already printing so I added target^1/2. I got 236 and 118, not 15.36...

I just tried using the firetuner with this example:

print((Game.GetActivePlayer()+9)^1/2)

which gave 4.5, not 3.
It seems there is something very odd (and somewhat troubling) going on if you get different results.:confused:
Probably too late, but you just need to add brackets around 1/2 to make it work...

Probably too late, but you just need to add brackets around 1/2 to make it work...

Yes indeed! Starting at post #116, I was trying to convince the author that brackets are required in an expression like this, but he wouldn't believe me :(

The consequence is that some code affecting tree placement isn't working as intended. However as overall tree placement seems reasonable, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

It may be the best map script out there and it seems to work great with Vox Populi mod, but it still has its downsides.

While over-abundance of desert can be easily cured by adjusting some numbers as mentioned in the discussion earlier, sadly there seems no easy way to make it produce inland seas and lakes. The best this mapscript can produce is a couple of one-tile lakes on a large/huge map. Lakes larger than one hex are impossible altogether. This is very sad because inland water adds so much realism, sexiness and is also necessary to utilize a certain pantheon.

My most recent PS map had me starting on a narrow (1 or 2 tiles) strip of land between a 5 tile lake and a 20ish tile inland sea. The early game was largely focused on building canal cities to connect the inland sea to the open ocean. There were also two 5 or 6 tile lakes on the other continent.

Are the inland seas frequent on this map? How would you compare ti to tectonic or communitu scripts?

@psparky would you share your latest version?

My current version has a number of personal hacks that would need a fair bit of work to make it fit for general usage. Is there any particular feature you are interested in?

My current version has a number of personal hacks that would need a fair bit of work to make it fit for general usage. Is there any particular feature you are interested in?
I'm most interested in your tweaks, improvements and fixes because if anybody is still trying to improve planet simulator, I thought it would be you. I think less desert, larger and more lakes and your bracket fix would be good additions. Although as I said, I'm most interested what you have brewed up.

Is there a way to increase the penetration or number of rivers inside large continents (especially in the desert areas)?

This mapscript is awesome (I cannot even use any other map script now), but there are large areas that feel barren (especially on Pangea).

Before I was playing a civilization that often started near jungles or grasslands, and the rivers there often join together in large deltas.

Now I'm playing a civilization that starts on deserts, and the terrain there just feels super empty, there's just 1 or 2 super long rivers and not much more more.

A few more rivers (even of not realistic) would enhance those areas I think.

Choosing "wet" and changing the river variables does not seem to do much for those mentioned areas, but I've not tested this extensively.

Bonus question: is it possible to make all/most deserts with dunes instead of hills? I just think dunes look better....

Is there a way to increase the penetration or number of rivers inside large continents (especially in the desert areas)?

This mapscript is awesome (I cannot even use any other map script now), but there are large areas that feel barren (especially on Pangea).

Before I was playing a civilization that often started near jungles or grasslands, and the rivers there often join together in large deltas.

Now I'm playing a civilization that starts on deserts, and the terrain there just feels super empty, there's just 1 or 2 super long rivers and not much more more.

A few more rivers (even of not realistic) would enhance those areas I think.

Choosing "wet" and changing the river variables does not seem to do much for those mentioned areas, but I've not tested this extensively.

You can try playing around with the river variables but you're more likely to break something instead of accomplishing what you want. Increasing the number of rivers will most likely work but it's going to affect rivers everywhere, not just in deserts, which could be problematic. The script creates a rainfall map from elevation, temperature, sea/lake, and wind (both geostrophic wind [jet streams], and monsoon effect wind). Then it aggregates rainfall totals and drainage paths to literally find the path of least resistance. From there I have some thresholds and IIRC some kind of fudge in the river determination algorithm to force deltas and long winding starts. It's been a long time since I looked at the code but I'm pretty sure the "wet" setting doesn't do anything for this script. To really accomplish what you want you'd need to code some kind of desert multiplier for rain totals.

I did do custom oasis placement that's honestly just a touch more generous than default Civ maps to help make the larger (more interesting) deserts more viable starts. Also, I'm pretty sure resource generation is, by default, a little more generous in deserts too.
Bonus question: is it possible to make all/most deserts with dunes instead of hills? I just think dunes look better....

As far as forcing the desert hill tiles to look like dunes that should be doable by forcing the continent type to the Africa global. I think it's "ContinentTypes.CONTINENT_AFRICA" but I'm probably wrong as I didn't go look in the code to find it. I'm pretty sure I currently have it randomly choosing between the four continent art tilesets for each landmass.

On a Pangaea this might not have too much of a downside. It's going to change all of your grass and plains and mountains too though. On Continents all of your landmasses will always be using the Africa tileset. Continent art has to be contiguous as the tilesets have visual artifacts and things if placed next to each other.

Last edited:
Noob question: I don't see the map in the game even though I pasted it here, what am I missing?
Spoiler folder address :
1666028246135.png

Noob question: I don't see the map in the game even though I pasted it here, what am I missing?
Spoiler folder address :
Hi hi^^ bonniepbilly! Hmm, I think I might know why yer install didn't work. First, delete that CIV5_Planet_Simulator-master folder. Then, try downloading the file I've attached here, Unzip that file, and place "Planet Simulator vLL3.7.lua" into: Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps

Though, whenever I use Planet Simulator with Map Size Huge, I get the exact same map :(. It's a nice map, but that takes all the fun out of exploring. So, maybe you DON'T wanna try my method, because I never did figure out whether Planet Simulator simply doesn't work, or my method doesn't.

Attachments

• Planet Simulator vLL3.7.zip
    45.3 KB · Views: 52
Helloes,

I haven't actually played a game with this script yet, but I did a few test map generations to see the result and it does look interesting, even if the amount of deserts does look a bit overwhelming and there's a very clear lines between the climate terrain types (which is to be expected under the supplied conditions). Both those things could work out really well during gameplay however, we'll see.

I actually found the script while looking for something else and never realized how complicated map generation is. So my original question, now specific to this script would be:
Is there a way to increase the size of the overal landmass, i.e. if I want 80% of the map to be land and 20% to be ocean or something of that regard? Just increase the amount of land tiles by a certain amount. I already use low sea level and this script's large islands help a lot with that, but if it's possible to go even further, that might be interesting.

Top Bottom