R:I. My personal spin-off

The war against Hungary ended with a victory. Mostly because the AI waited and waited instead of using their invaders for an attack. 20 attackers incl. 2 Rams against 10 defenders incl. 3 Rams (with a 25% defend-bonus (palisades)). I had reinforcements on-their-way as I did spot the enemy some turns before the war was declared - but still.....

Spoiler 1st battle - the attackers and the defenders :

Civ4ScreenShot0151.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0152.JPG

As some might have read in another thread, I have added many of my own small "changes" to this mod. Not because I'm not satisfied with the mod, but as I wrote on page 1: More-wants-more.

So my maps will - after a few hundred turns - have large savannas, forests and jungles. The spread-factors I'm using can be seen on page 1. As a counterbalance to this, I always have large areas of desert, tundra, and snow. Areas the vegetation cannot spread to.

Due to all this "green stuff", Recon-units are really valueable in my games. I admit it did take many months for me to "acknowledge" this - but as I could see the AI using those units much as soon as the skirmishers appeared on the stage, I finally did the same.........

So here is my "new" favourite:
Civ4ScreenShot0150.JPG

Above unit and chariots were exactly the units I used to break down the Hungarian army.

Chariots for soften the fortified attackers (hilltop, forests) and skirmishers to kill them. Took some time/turns as I lost 75-80% of the chariots each time I attacked (had to train new and bring them to the front) - while I only lost a few skirmishers. Skirmishers, that gradually became more "experienced" and thus stronger.

And below the battle to secure my southern border and the way to peace:

Spoiler The final battle :

Civ4ScreenShot0153.JPG

First the Hungarian defenders and my attackers before the battle

Civ4ScreenShot0154.JPG

City taken. I used all my 6 chariots to soften the defense. In addition, 3 of my ax-men had to travel to Valhalla.

Civ4ScreenShot0155.JPG

The last Hungarian troops defeatet.

Civ4ScreenShot0156.JPG

And finally: Peace. At least for now.

Ohhh, did I forgot to write, that using 2 GreatGenerals for promotion of skirmishers makes them kind of "Elite-troops" and thus much more valueable in a battle (see 3rd sreenshot above)???

Last edited:
Let me start the day with a little recap of yesterday's final battles.

Apparently Poland thought that the city I took over from Hungary was theirs. It probably was too - but then they should have kept it.

Instead, they send an "army" of just 4 units - good enough with a significant reserve on the way - but still. Probably the most stupid act I've seen from an AI in a very long time.

They (Poland) lost another small town on that.

Spoiler An easy war :

Civ4ScreenShot0158.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0159.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0160.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0161.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0162.JPG

As you can see below (if you open the spoiler) - you can't do much without ressources.

Spoiler My World Wonders :

Civ4ScreenShot0164.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0163.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0165.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0166.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom