Planning for the 20th Anniversary/2nd Decade Awards

Quintillus

Restoring Civ3 Content
Supporter
With the calendar having flipped into 2021, I found myself reflecting on a few things from the past, including the first decade awards, and Balthasar, whom we lost last January and who was instrumental in organizing the Anniversary Competition.

With those thoughts in mind, I wanted to spark conversation about the 20th anniversary awards early, as they are a celebration of both our whole community's creativity and creations, as well as a significant legacy Balthasar has left to the forums. It is still significantly earlier in the year than the first public discussions of the awards in 2011, but I'd rather spark the conversation now and have an idle period than not have them be sparked at all.

Many of the veterans who organized the 2011 competition are still around CFC, and in some cases the Civ3 forums as well. These include @Vuldacon, @Ozymandias , @KingArthur , @WildWeazel , El Justo (whom I have not figured out how to tag due to the space in his username), @Rob (R8XFT) , and @Ares de Borg. I think it is only appropriate for a veteran of that committee to lead the effort towards its successor, while also integrating some of our newer members from the past decade into the effort.

With that said, I'll leave by posing the first practical question I've been debating in my mind the past few days: Would it make more sense for the format this time to be a decade award, covering the period from 2011 - 2021, or a 20th anniversary award, covering the period 2001-2021? I'm somewhat leaning towards the former, as that would mean the awards would go to new or significantly updated work, but it is true that the general rate of creation is not as high as in the first decade. Perhaps decade awards become a tradition, and we can also have a "all-time awards" celebration at the 25th anniversary, or the 100th anniversary?

Quintillus... Balthasar and I spoke of the 2nd Decade Award several times. He and I wanted it to take place. It was to be from 2011 - 2021.

It is true we have not had the plethora of Members and contributions that we had in the first Decade Award and that should make it easier to present.

Balthasar enjoyed putting things together and presenting them... it appealed to his way of thinking and he was always interested in promoting our Forums and Civfanatics. He wanted us all to continue far into the Future and felt that many other Countries would be able to use what we have created for many years to come.

As I posted in your "Organizing 2020 End of Year Competitions" Thread, you could set up a Vote to see how many are in favor or against another Contest.

Personally, I am for another Decade Award it as it serves to Honor Members and their Contributions along with promoting Our Forum.

I think it might make the most sense (decade award) due to the number of stuff released.
That said, not for this but for after this, I personally would like (also) to see the old format back, even if it is 3 or 4 times a year instead of monthly contests :)

Iirc I also run the monthly contests for a while (so long ago... immediately before Balthasar I think)

I think it's a great idea - last November marked the 20th anniversary of my joining here. I thought, quite a bit, about how strange and wonderful a notion that was/is ...
... and that this is the only "place" where I have so much fun with emojis :think:

Despite being a longtime habitual lurker I want to say that also I think this is a great idea! I'm not gonna give up Civ3 anytime soon so I look forward to the 20th anniversary (which apparently is the China Jubilee, just like 25th is Silver and 50th is Gold!)

Despite being a longtime habitual lurker I want to say that also I think this is a great idea! I'm not gonna give up Civ3 anytime soon so I look forward to the 20th anniversary (which apparently is the China Jubilee, just like 25th is Silver and 50th is Gold!)

HAH! You've "popped up" often enough to have "Been Noticed." :cooool:

-:Dz

The old Decade Award had another part beneath that "contest", that created more loosers than winners , with the big advantage, that it only created winners, what in my eyes is a much better solution when speaking about the best modding works for Civ 3 in a decade.

A jury gave medals for very good modding work in the last decade. I remember, that I was happy about the "Copernikus medal" I have received.

To this day (even though I was on the "Committee," this was a complete surprise) I smile when I think of Our Dearly Departed Balthasar putting me up for the unanticipated, "Forum Agora Award."

I do wish there was a magic wand to be waved, to bring together those of us who would, most dearly, wish to raise a glass to, "Auld Lang Syne."

Spoiler Lyrics :

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And days of auld lang syne?
For auld lang syne, my dear
For auld lang syne
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For days of auld lang syne
We twa hae run about the braes
And pu'd the gowans fine
But we've wander'd mony a weary fit
Sin days of auld lang syne
We twa hae paidl'd i' the burn
Frae morning sun till dine
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
Sin days of auld lang syne
For auld lang syne
For days of auld lang syne
And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp
And surely I'll be mine
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne
And there's a hand, my trusty fiere
And gie's a hand o' thine
And we'll tak a right gude-willy waught
For auld lang syne
For auld lang syne
For auld lang syne
For auld lang syne
For auld lang syne
Source: Musixmatch

So, I've just poured through ALL of the Decade Award Threads, and have some specific (and, of course, hopefully hopeful ideas):
  1. i have been amazed b the number of new members who've "wandered through," and hopefully sticking around - over the past 6 months, including @Lanzelot ; @Flintlock ; @Stew Pid ; @Oni Ryuu ; @md4 . I cannot (yet) think of a way to make these newcomers further welcome.
  2. OK- in general (now that I'm thinking of it at 7 AM, sleeplessly and fueled solely by the drug (Provigil) which the USAF uses to keep fighter pilots flying 24/7, for awhile anyway ... I'd like to encourage some new efforts (although we might be lacking competitors in a category.) The first which comes to mind is City Graphics: we have many amazing city sets, but largely for the first 2, and sometimes 3 Eras. I'd like to encourage new Industrial Era (I love @ronning's work here, bu I'd love to see more smokestacks.) Ditto Modern. And (dare I even hope? ;) ) Near Future & SF. For example: extrapolations from Egyptian Pyramid based sets to Smokestack and Beyond.
  3. Some (well, OK, just 1 ATM, but promise to search further, should anyone wish me to) random memories of potential inspirations: the brief shot of the Vulcan City in "Star Trek Enterprise." :scan:
  4. Revisiting the Categories from Then, there are a few areas in which ONLY one outstanding contributor - and I think that's fine, at least in one particuls case: Way Back Then, Kryten was given the "Golden Hordes Award" for m-units .. Need I say more?
  5. One more undoubtedly "to share" .exe & .sav Forensics.
... And there will be more to follow.

- Fine work, @Quintillus! :clap:

A couple of thoughts:

Keep the focus on the last decade, but also start a "lifetime achievements" list that would be open to all.

Add in some (semi-) humorous categories that could reach back to the beginning: best unfinished scenario, best unit/terrain/whatever never used in a mod, best "passed the torch" for a concept started by one person and carried on by another, best outmoded design (that blazed a trail), best commitment to pains-taking detail that's invisible at game scale, longest perseverance at one very particular, thing, ...

OK three is more than a couple, but anyway...

Create some kind of category where only people who joined in the last decade can suggest nominees.

So, I've just poured through ALL of the Decade Award Threads, and have some specific (and, of course, hopefully hopeful ideas):
  1. i have been amazed b the number of new members who've "wandered through," and hopefully sticking around - over the past 6 months, including @Lanzelot ; @Flintlock ; @Stew Pid ; @Oni Ryuu ; @md4 . I cannot (yet) think of a way to make these newcomers further welcome.
  2. OK- in general (now that I'm thinking of it at 7 AM, sleeplessly and fueled solely by the drug (Provigil) which the USAF uses to keep fighter pilots flying 24/7, for awhile anyway ... I'd like to encourage some new efforts (although we might be lacking competitors in a category.) The first which comes to mind is City Graphics: we have many amazing city sets, but largely for the first 2, and sometimes 3 Eras. I'd like to encourage new Industrial Era (I love @ronning's work here, bu I'd love to see more smokestacks.) Ditto Modern. And (dare I even hope? ;) ) Near Future & SF. For example: extrapolations from Egyptian Pyramid based sets to Smokestack and Beyond.
  3. Some (well, OK, just 1 ATM, but promise to search further, should anyone wish me to) random memories of potential inspirations: the brief shot of the Vulcan City in "Star Trek Enterprise." :scan:
  4. Revisiting the Categories from Then, there are a few areas in which ONLY one outstanding contributor - and I think that's fine, at least in one particuls case: Way Back Then, Kryten was given the "Golden Hordes Award" for m-units .. Need I say more?
  5. One more undoubtedly "to share" .exe & .sav Forensics.
... And there will be more to follow.

- Fine work, @Quintillus! :clap:

I think that, where possible, the categories should remain the same :) The previous contest went well, IIRC.
I am not sure about having industrial or future eras as separate, since I don't know if any real number of sets have been produced for those. Besides, cities are already just one type of graphic, it might be overkill to divide it more.

Top Bottom