Planning the Start

I'll see whether any I know are willing to participate. :)

i agree with the early game tech plan of researching Pottery and then The Wheel. these 2 techs will let us try to stay close to the AGR civs in growth and make sure we have horses early and available for our eventual late game rampage.

I don't have anything startlingly new to add. I concur that the slingshot is not possible for us and also that getting a Granary and locating Horses are the priorities.

Ok, since I'm normally accused of playing the "what if" card in most of my team style games, I'll toss out a couple of yet to be mentioned ideas.

Research:
How about researching Warrior Code? Pro: Archers, no one else likely to go for it so monopoly is likely and an SGL chance. If not WC then how about Alphabet then on to Mathematics for a head start on SoZ with Ancient Cavalry?

Early game plans:
A warrior for scouting, then a pair of spears for defense then a settler then a granary (note that there would be time to research a tech before going for pottery in this path). Against the AI I normally prefer to build veteran units and trust they won't attack until I get a barracks. In this game that's way too risky.

Longer term plans:
An idea for down the road: Assume the map is the United States and we are in LA. Once we meet the guy in NY sign a long term alliance to eliminate the rest of the world and plan research and military goals in tandem. Trade workers on a 1 for 1 basis (lots of them). That removes support costs and allows for a very large work force and with industrious trait, our workers would still be quite productive.

I agree that the Pyramids are better captured than built. Aside from SoZ that's probably the case for all of the AA Wonders (unless the Great Lighthouse is needed to reach other tribes). Getting an SGL of course changes this, with the Pyramids at the top of the list for wonders if we get lucky.

One other question for the team. I've found that my best results have come in games where I chose a goal early and worked directly towards that goal. With that in mind, will it be:

(A) THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

or

(B) VIOLENCE IS THE LAST REFUGE OF THE INCOMPETENT

Since I'm new to this style of game, I don't really have a feel if option B is viable

It’s great to get lots of different suggestions :). My take on them:

Warrior Code – you are probably right that it is an SGL opportunity and a potentially tradable tech. Archers, I don’t care a lot about since our fate will rest on mounted units, but we need Warrior Code to build horsemen eventually. We may or may not have time for another tech before Pottery – based on your proposed build order we would, but we have to see what terrain our capital has before we can figure out what our build order should be. I think Warrior Code is worth considering, but it will really depend on how soon we want a granary based on our capital’s surroundings.

Alphabet to Mathematics – The Statue of Zeus is worth building, but there is no hurry to get to Mathematics. We have the Pyramids and a Palace as potential prebuilds, so we don’t need Mathematics until we are closing in on 300 shields (300 was the final decision, right?). Since 2 civs start with Alphabet, and we don't need it right away, I don’t think we want to research it first.

Early game plans – I think last game I was too concerned about an early attack (for example, I recommended we go with a 6-turn settler + warrior factory instead of a 4-turn settler factory for a while). We will have to see what we end up with for map size, but last game we had 4 civs on a small map with 60% water – the civs started so far apart that there was absolutely no danger of an early attack on a capital with any real force. Unless we cram 5 civs onto a tiny map, I think we will be OK with just warriors for a while instead of spearmen.

Longer term plans – sounds good, but it is very hard to plan ahead with humans. From what little MP experience I have, it seems you make friends with your neighbors first (you meet them first, after all). If we want a peaceful relationship with our neighbors, then it may tie our hands in dealing with the further civs. This is something that we will have to wing for a while depending on who we meet.

Worker trades – I seem to remember reading somewhere that slaves we get do not have the industrious trait. Someone can try to run tests, or I can try to hunt down the old threads where I think that, but if it is true, then we may not want to trade one for one. Of course, that is a long ways away anyway, since we won’t have unit costs until we are out of Despotism anyway.

i couldn't think of a better place to post it, so i'm posting it in here. with the game starting soon, i think we should hold elections for Term 1. seeing as our constitution gives our UN Rep the power to setup nomination and election threads, lost_civ, you should put up nomination threads whenever you get the chance in the near future. :)

On what has been said recently:

I agree about warrior code, it's a good opportunity but I agree also our fate does not rest with warrior code ;)

As for the early game. We need to keep a mind of defense just in case but I do not expect anyone to try to attack us early. They have priorities of their own. As long as we have a few units around here or there, they won't risk it.

-Elear

Ok, I'll ask the question that most of us rookies have been thinking.

How does this work?

Ok, it's 4000 BC, we've seen the starting location and we've come to a consensus on if we'll move or settle, where the worker should, what we're going to build, what to research and at what rate. Now, what happens from here until 3950 BC?

The elected Sultan will play the move we decide on. The first move will likely be fairly quick... it's usually easy to spot whether the settler moves or not and where to put the worker.

After that, we send off the save and wait for the next round.

So if we're the first team to play, Rik with send the save to our Sultan, he'll enter the team password, settle/move and then save the game and e-mail it to ???, who'll play his team's turn (repeat 3 more times) then it will arrive back to the Sultan who'll post it and we'll start discussing turn 2, right?

How long is the normal cycle from send to recieve again in the early game (say QSC)?

I don't know about your second question, but you are right about the process. :)

It looks like the QSC took a little less than 5 months last game. It may be a little longer since we have 5 teams now instead of 4, but it largely depends on the turnplayers. As I recall, the first couple of turns can go by really quickly, but once civs start meeting each other, people start stalling because it takes time to hammer out agreements.

greekguy said:
i couldn't think of a better place to post it, so i'm posting it in here. with the game starting soon, i think we should hold elections for Term 1. seeing as our constitution gives our UN Rep the power to setup nomination and election threads, lost_civ, you should put up nomination threads whenever you get the chance in the near future.

I believe lost_civ is going on vacation starting today. He designated dutchfire to be his replacement for the next week.

So, dutchfire, do you feel like setting up nomination threads?

yes, It's fine with me.

When should I start the polls, any idea when we'll get the first save?

I suggest leaving the nomination threads open another day or so and then holding polls open for 3 days.

If we have an election for sultan and we get the save before we know the turnplayer, we can always find someone to play the first save on an interim basis.

Top Bottom