Plans for DoC 1.17

I have to second this. I haven't had this much fun with Civ since when I first discovered Rhyes and Fall all those years ago.
I am required to third this. Dawn of Civilization is the only reason why I know world geography and 90% of the history that I know. Back in 11th grade if you asked me where China was, I'd say "um, East?". I had zero clue where Rome and Greece were, and thought Scotland and Ireland were in Scandinavia.

That's great but also wow your education system has failed you.

That's great but also wow your education system has failed you.
Oh you don't know the half of it.

Our concept of "learning geography" is memorizing states/nations and capitals and placing them on a map. I was always horsehocky at that, thought I was incompatible with geography. Turns out I just didn't have any foundation to put that memorization on. If I was more into Risk I probably would have had a better time with memorizing nation locations.

Our concept of "learning history" is learning about the American Revolution and Civil War until High School, where we have 1 year of world history, 1 year of modern history, and 2 years of subjects I've since forgotten. Due to "behavior issues" my school system declared me "unteachable and a danger to myself" and sent me to a school for kids for behavior problems.

The school system I grew up in thinks the best way to help a kid who's overwhelmed and crying is to restrain the kid and bring him to a small, dark room and silently stand in the doorway until they calm down. I had to move to a wealthy school system to get the help I needed, and ended up missing 9th grade because of it. They didn't even test me to see if I knew my 9th grade history, they just sent me along to 10th.

The most important lesson I learnt from 2 years of preschool, 1 year of kindergarten, and 12 of grade school is that kids who grow up in poor communities are far more likely to drop out of school than those in wealthier communities. It doesn't matter if you are part of a wealthy family living in a wealthy neighborhood like I was. Also, teachers in poor communities have a habit of promising special needs students weighted vests or blankets or other accommodations and then pocketing the money or giving the accomadation to another kid whose parents are part of the PTA.

Last edited:
That's basically the solution. There's no reason to not make the algorithm that usually randomly generates the map just deterministically create the map we want. It just comes down to implementation details.
I have looked a bit into those implementation details. I'm working on some python that grabs terrain, features, etc. for tiles.

For changes that occur at certain dates, adding something like "yearXXXX=FeatureType=FEATURE_POSTAPOCALYPTIC_HELLSCAPE, FeatureVariety=0" to the plot info would be detectable (and then overwrite the previous feature info), but not mess up the worldbuilder file. Not sure if that would get saved in the file, though.

I also had something like this in mind. All resource spawns would need to be encoded into the map file if it was to actually serve all scenarios at the same time.

I don't know how to proceed to the mapscript part of this (too many functions being called, got confused trying to follow the process). Some things are probably missing from my file so far. It ought to be able to be called by the mapscript, so this can just go in the python folder. It returns three dictionaries when called: Every single plot, with all of its data, every single city, with all of its data, and every single unit, with all of its data.

I may have missed certain data types that plots, cities or units can have because they weren't present in the examples I looked at.

I don't know how to make a new branch on github, so I'll just upload it here. For compatibility with the phasing out of player IDs, it searches for those handy (Civ Name) tags that have been put in the file.

Edit: math
Edit again: date-based spawns need to have "Year####" in the line. It occurs to me that this excludes negative years. Reuploaded with a fix. The format in the wbsave should be: Year#### or Year-#### Featureorwhateverelse=whatever

Attachments

• Mappifier.py.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Now I've got a file that works and a mapscript that doesn't. Just make your own mod, throw Mappifier.py in the python folder and the mapscript and map (whichever—I modified "Earth_IceAge" to have a couple of dates and renamed it "Earth_IceAge2", so you just need to change the file name in Mappifier.py) in PrivateMaps, and you'll be good to get errors.

Attachments

• Python errors.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 161
Apologies if this has been said elsewhere already, but is there a target launch date for version 1.17?

I absolutely love this version of the game. Shouldn't I be paying someone money for it?

I haven't even started implementing any of the 1.17 features yet, and the 1.16 release isn't that long ago yet. It will take some time.

By the way, if you want to donate, there is a Kofi link in the welcome to DoC thread.

Thank you Leoreth.

When you say the 1.16 release isn't that long ago, when I click on the 'Play RFC Dawn of Civilization version' in your signature, there's a message on the side that says 'Released: Apr 19, 2010'.

Is this the latest version? Or am I misreading the version somewhere?

Thank you Leoreth.

When you say the 1.16 release isn't that long ago, when I click on the 'Play RFC Dawn of Civilization version' in your signature, there's a message on the side that says 'Released: Apr 19, 2010'.

Is this the latest version? Or am I misreading the version somewhere?
It says first release. The last update was... Oct 5, 2016?

Wait. The release date for 1.16 is the same as the first release, and there's no other mention of this "2016 update"

What's going on here?

EDIT: Oh, I think I might understand part of what's happening. Leoreth posted a link to the sourceforge download on April 16th of 2010 and hasn't changed it since. He updates the sourceforge download with the latest version every release, but the link itself stays the same.

Oh but that's a good point. I should probably replace the sourceforge link just so the download database knows the time of the latest release.

Cool, so the version Ive just downloaded is the June 2019 release?

Oh my, Im not gonna get any work or leisure done over the next few weeks am I lol

That's right! I hope you enjoy your time with DoC but please civ responsibly.

Version 1.16 runs very slow when processing AI turns. Playing with England, year 1874, and it takes several minutes for the AI to play.
Also the changes in the happiness from luxuries makes the stability very shaky, thus cannot be at war. I did so and I lost the game.
Thank you for your effort, the game you created is incredible!

Version 1.16 also there's a bug when trading luxuries with others civs. They charge like 65 gold per turn for dyes, cotton, gold, silver, etc, but they gift marble and stone.

Version 1.16 also there's a bug when trading luxuries with others civs. They charge like 65 gold per turn for dyes, cotton, gold, silver, etc, but they gift marble and stone.
Do you have a save where that happens?

Update: I consider the terrain editing phase of the new map concluded for the moment, but of course you are still free to make further suggestions and I will come back to them at some point. While I am collecting your suggestions for the city names map, I will turn my attention back to the develop branch and start fixing a bunch of bugs that have been reported.

Hi,
I wanna help out with the 1.17 version. I'm sociologist and play your game every day since a couple of years. I have some tips:
1. Please add aboriginals to Australia.
2. Trading luxuries for gold per turn is very expensive since last expansion. Like 65 gold per turn for gold, cotton, dyes, etc
3. After xix century each turn is very slow, I think because of the voting in the Aphostolic palace and World Congress, to take cities and because some civs, specially China, tend to revolt to become autonomous, many times and revive and revolt again.
4. I think the new Turkish civ from Afghanistan, is unseen from Europe and also takes time to load when it appears. I would delete it.
5. Ethiopia disappeares too fast.
6. Please add new starting dates, such as the 1700dc one we have, but for 1800 and 1900.
7. Argentina is too small and with less resources it has. We have more wheat, sugar, iron, aluminum, oil and uranium. Too many swamps, we have plenty of fertile soil.
8. I conquered all Europe with Germany and had a civil revolt, so loosing the game, instead of having stability because of nationalism and expansion.
9. Spain should have a special building to have less maintenance for colonies. Something related with religion and Catholic missions. In the 1700 map economy doesn't allow research. 10% only.
10. Italy's ships cannot leave the Mediterranean. They should have ships that can move non open borders seas.
11. Russia is too strong. Their research should be slower during the 1700s and 1800s.
12. Japan should have more productivity, more iron and cold or a special forge.
13. The Aphostolic palace and World Congress voting should be more spacious in time during the 1800s and 1900s.
14. Please add more music for the european middle ages, more medieval and Celtic fiddles.
15. The Latin american civs music is too loud. For Argentina please add instrumental Tango.
16. The Prussian Trading Company should allow to add colonies in the oriental Guinea and southern Africa. The same for Italy in Ethiopia and Tunis.
17. Poland tends to dissapear too fast (1700dc map), maybe adding a special defence unit and building would help their stability. Something related to their Catholic belief.
18. Regarding slow turns. I think the AI takes so long to process turns because the stability is too weak overall. Sweden revolts and comes back several times, the same for China and maybe other countries in the middle east.

I hope that can help to make the game faster between turns.
Greetings from Buenos Aires

Last edited:
Here´s the save game anno 2017 and 2020 with Spain so you can check out.
Thanks, is really a good game

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-2020 Turn 500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.6 MB · Views: 175
  • Isabella AD-2017 Turn 497.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.6 MB · Views: 167
Top Bottom