Plans for the new version

Head Serf

Emperor
Here are my rough plans for the new version.

Firstly, I'd like to get all of the civilopedia texts besides the units and the civics done. The reason is that I plan on redoing the civics fairly substantially next version, and that I know the units are going to take a long time to finish and should not be rushed. (basically done)

Secondly I'd like to get all of the static leaderheads done. I think that doing so would help by significantly reducing the file size and adding to the historical feel of the mod. Please help by posting historic images of the leaders in the Research thread. (done)

Thirdly I'd like get the new production victories balanced. I'd like people to test the new version and tell me basically how their games go. I don't have the time to play dozens of test games and therefore I need your outside help.

Fourth I'd like to continue fixing bugs that the game has. The bug thread has really helped to organize the bugs in the current version and allowed me to fix them better. If anyone encounters any sort of problem or something they feel is unbalanced I really want you to post about it in the bug thread.

If I have time before the end of the month, I may make the civics changes I am currently planning on doing next version.

In addition, I'd like to say that I cannot find for the life of me any good art for either Umar or Abderaman III. If you can find any art relating to any Caliph, please post it, as it may be all there is to use.

Abderaman III? Sorry I don't completely understand, is that another name for Abd Ar Rahman III?

Islamic figures are very hard to find pics of, sadly. I tried looking for one of Harun al Rashid, and all I found were some small mediocre pics. It is quite unfortunate that Islamic artists back then didn't do portraits of leaders, even the ottoman sultans had to go to europeans for their portraits.:sad:

Ah yes, I forgot to mention some name changes I was making. Firstly, I'm changing Abderaman III to Abd ar-Rahman III, and I'll probably change Piero Orseolo (who did absolutely nothing) to Simone Boccanegra (first Doge of Genoa).

I could be wrong, but the picture thing might be religious. I know its considered blasphemous to portray the image of Mohammed in any way.

There was an interesting movie about 4 years ago about his life, that never showed him in any representation.

Unlike in Western art of that time which primarily depicted religious icons and biblical events for centuries.

I'm almost completely certain that that rule only applies to Mohammad. For instance, Civ3 has Abu Bakr as the Arabian leader, who was the second Caliph and if anyone would not be allowed to have images made of, it would be him.

I found an Abderraman III pic and posted in the research thread.

Its hard to conquer all of Europe when your people start revolting 2-3 turns into a war. :cry:

How about adding Dungeon -25% WW and Tower of London wonder (built in 1078 and housing first prisoner in 1100) -25% WW all cities, +2 influence, +1 GP?

Plus maybe one more happiness creating building like City Gardens +1 happy, +1 healthy? Also maybe National Wonder Royal Gardens +2 happy, +1 healthy, +2 influence?

Also,

What about adding national wonder like a Festival or Great Fair (with a better name) that requires multiple fairs to build?

dang, he had the only good animated LH. Amra did him right? mabey you could make a download with all animated LH if Amra or someone of his talent would make them for us.......

I'm also going to make a fair number of changes to both maps to improve playability. Currently Germany has trouble building a third city on the small map, for instance, and the Vikings often struggle on the big map. If you have any concerns you want addressed in my changes, please tell me, and I'll see what I can do.

I'm almost completely certain that that rule only applies to Mohammad.

No, it's realistic art in general, and the realistic depiction of the human form in particular:

"On Resurrection Day, God will consider image-makers as the men most deserving of punishment"--The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon his name

As with any other religion, Muslims obeyed the dictates of the Quran to varying degrees, ranging from ultra-orthodox strictness (as in WWII-era core Saudi Arabia) to lip-service only (as in the case of the late Abbasid courts). So, whether or not you'll get images depends on the place and the time in the Muslim world, but in general you'll get a lot fewer images than you would in Christian lands, where historically only a few sects have interpreted the Bible as banning imagery. It might be a nice touch to include portraits only of the less pious Muslims and include Islamic (non-representational) art for the more pious ones, en lieu of a portrait.

no idol worshipping is the worshipping of a statue or other 3-d image, a painting is not idol worship. example: byzantine iconoclasm.

One thing you might ant to consider tweaking is the base amount of health per city. On Emperor and above, you're boned unless you settle your first few cities on a river for the fresh water health bonus. This makes every civ except Poland, Russia and Hungary largely unplayable.

Have you thought of incorporating the Better AI?

would including dales combate mod as a seprate download be a good idea? i have never played dales mod but i think it will add to the midevil feel so it is an attemps to be sort of like the total war games.

Top Bottom