Playing isolated at deity

IsolatedPlayer

Chieftain
Hello, I'm a CIV4 player who plays only isolated games, (starting from Fractal maps), playing only for space races, without conquering other civs.
I like this kind of playing because it's "mathematic", and looks like a puzzle. Combat is too stressing for me.

By the way, even if you plan to conquer the world from your island, I'm sharing here a math formula which I've derived from my games, to estimate the turn when you'll get Optics. This can be useful to plan the two extra scientist to bulb Astronomy. As a general rule, for space races, a good result is before turn 125.
I'm assuming no gold mines or other great stuff (wonders, etc.) and no research to Monarchy. Obviously it's an estimate.

My formula is:

132 - bonuses:

extrah -4, river -2, 1hap -6, 2hap -10,
fin -7, phi -6, org -6, cre -5, car -5, imp -2, esp -1, spi -1, ind -1, agg -1, pro -0

where "extrah" means an extra hammer in the capitol (or extra food), "river" refers to the extra commerce for the river in the capitol, and "hap" the number of happiness resource in the island (in 50% of cases there are zero though). Then the bonus gived by the civ. Starting techs can give or lose 1-2 turns.
Researching to Monarchy costs 4-6 extra turns but obviously gives a great advantage later in the game. It's always an hard decision to take for me.

For example, the Tokugawa map by Lain gives: 132 -4 extrah -2 river -1 agg = 125. Lain actually played it very well and he got a 127 with Monarchy.

With 10 "bonuses" I usually win 50% of the games. I usually have to fight a defensive war, so Rifling or Steel is a priority after Lib. Extreme espionage is sometimes required to delay earlier cultural victories.

Yes of course. Combat is "mathematic" as well. Probably I'm weak at it and I got stressed when I played that way :)

Interesting, i'd love to see you post a playthrough with screenshots and your calcs etc.

well, after too many games this year I need to take a break for some months, actually my post was a "final summary" of what I did. By the way:

for the first 120 turns my play is very similar to the Tokugawa video by Lain. The only difference could be that I could skip Monarchy and use the food excess to build settlers so that when I get Astronomy I can immediately settle other 3-4 cities.
After that, I research to Education/Lib, then Steel or Rifles for defence.
(Trade for Chemistry), then up to Combustion.
(Trade for Nationalism and Constitution with the weaker civs) then Assembly line.
(Trade for Scientific method and Physics with the weaker civs) then Electricity
Until now, if I have no gold, I accept to leave the science slider to 80-90% and build the empire, but from Electricity and beyond the race starts, so it's required to research at 100% and 1-2 cities must build Wealth if required.
From here it's a normal space race, but you must realize that it will be limited by research, not production. I usually start from Computers.

I simply suggest to start at Immortal, win a couple of games, then switch back to Deity. For these games the easiest and strongest civ is Willelm of Orange. Any civ with TWO of the following traits will do well: FIN , ORG , PHI , CRE , CAR
If you choose one of those then you may just start with the first island that Fractal offers for you (there's a 1/8 chance to start isolated). If instead you want to use another civ, you may need to regenerate the map further to find a good island. Don't play a weak leader on a poor island, it will be frustrating.

The most important thing is to reach Optics before turn 125, I'd say max turn 122. Because you need to find the weaker civs and trade with them using Metal Casting or Machinery. Don't trade Compass or Optics with the advanced civs. If you exit after turn 125 this could become impossible. My record is turn 109 with Willelm and a gold mine in the capitol. Have fun!

Last edited:
Coming back from the dead to comment that this is an interesting thread and a way to look at things I completely hadn't considered before! I've been under the impression that, on deity, by the modern era the per-era AI bonuses are usually too large to match if you have less or even just the same amount of land, unlike in Civ V where they don't know how to research at all and stall out at around 2/3 of the way through the tech tree. But with the Internet and maybe caste workshops (as well as settling islands and being smart with your builds), I can see how it just might be possible to bring out the much-maligned SimCity strat from V and turtle your way to a space win, with just 7-10 cities.

Nice! Like this cookbook. Would be nice of someone shared a "beatable" map with this strategy and we could compare approaches :)

As it so happened I rolled just the perfect setup for this.

Leader: Washington (cha/exp) - charismatic is the single best trait for iso since it basically gives you two free luxes, and exp isn't bad either especially since we are in cottage heaven with some FP unhealthy to deal with here.

Starting screenie:

Spoiler :

20190915144547_1.jpg

Spoilers about your island:

Spoiler :

A lush and fertile land with lots of cottage space and tons of food. You also happen to have access to all the strategic resources necessary for a space win (well, except copper, but that's gotta be pretty easy to trade for by the endgame, right?).

Spoilers about other continent(s):

Spoiler :

There's a few sizeable islands you can grab for yourself pretty early, which should bring your total city size up to about 12 - probably enough for a space race

Spoilers about AIs:

Spoiler :

All on one other continent. Yeah, this is the one tough part about this map...two of the other AIs are supertechers (Willem and HC) who happened to get gold + corn starts. Neat. Also Zara has like half the landmass to himself...yikes. Still, at the end of the day, AIs are AIs, and hopefully there isn't too much of a lovefest going on by the time you meet them.

Attachments

• Lonely Washington BC-4000 PERFECT PEACEFUL START.CivBeyondSwordSave
    37.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Spoiler my attempt :

Ok, I tried the map.

SiP and after some thinking.. I decided that opening AH first was good to produce workboat and get some warriors to fogbust. There is definitely some optimization there..
Spoiler fail :
that plan went ok, I found horses close to cap. but ended up with barb issues so restarted the game 2 times.

since horse -> wheel and cottages.

Strong start I guess. Beelined optics. and got it turn 126.

There is definitely some improvements on that date.
Spoiler thoughts :

- Probably should have settled first GS in cap for Academy! 2-3 turns could have been saved.
- micro was not the greatest.think 2-3 saved
- ended up clicking "next turn" alot..

Prepared a buch of settlers to settle cause of grown into happycap.

Sailing out for an adventure!

Spoiler the suprice :

Turn 135 LIB! William!! kind of lost steam there when I met 16 city Zara

Fun to try! will try another. The lonely heart club seems fun! :)

Spoiler my attempt :

Ok, I tried the map.

SiP and after some thinking.. I decided that opening AH first was good to produce workboat and get some warriors to fogbust. There is definitely some optimization there..
Spoiler fail :
that plan went ok, I found horses close to cap. but ended up with barb issues so restarted the game 2 times.

since horse -> wheel and cottages.

Strong start I guess. Beelined optics. and got it turn 126.

There is definitely some improvements on that date.
Spoiler thoughts :

- Probably should have settled first GS in cap for Academy! 2-3 turns could have been saved.
- micro was not the greatest.think 2-3 saved
- ended up clicking "next turn" alot..

Prepared a buch of settlers to settle cause of grown into happycap.

Sailing out for an adventure!

Spoiler the suprice :

Turn 135 LIB! William!! kind of lost steam there when I met 16 city Zara

Fun to try! will try another. The lonely heart club seems fun! :)

Wait, was this on my map or the LHC?

Wait, was this on my map or the LHC?
It was on your map. Lonely Washington BC-4000 PERFECT

Should have included screenshots.. so its easier to follow the dialog and decision making.
Spoiler spoiler :
Because of how i feelt the position of the game was.. me being slow, AI's being super fast etc. I just ended up with a shorter write up

But I would highly appreciate a write up from you @Fish Man ! :)
To see your decision process and how you value different locations and priorities.

If you really want to give a report.. Feel free to record and post on YouTube if you feel up for the task.. its fun to play for an 'audience' :)
And i think your "unique"-ness in play style will give for an entertaining watch.

Second attempt

Spoiler Second attempt :

Teched AH first to get the cow and produced warriors (4 guys) to fogbust.

TW-Cottages.
Setteled first GS in capitol.
Ended up with optics and gold to upgrade 2 caravels @turn 117.
Thats 9 turn faster! than my first attempt!

Have less settlers and workers ready.. but can pump out a bunch of guys for the astro bulb
Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

Everyone is in Hindu.. and somehow fighting.. i noticed that HC teched _everything_ execpt lib.
He had the option to grab lib.. maybe 25 turns ago.

I saw the opportuinity and took it. It paid off.. and I grabbed printing press (i know..) But it is a 2 for 1 deal.
Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

have 12 cities.. and plan to settle 3-4 more.. and caputre 2 barb cities.

Have to take a break. But yeah.. much better "randomness" in this game. And some smarter play.

I miss playing with the buffy mod.
Playing alot better now.. so I see some potential into winning space here :)

Top Bottom