1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Please explain the "NC Start"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Alatar1313, Mar 4, 2011.

1. anandus

anandus Errorist

My problem with the '4-city NC start' is that I often need to wait for my least developed city to get the library finished. How do you go about that?

I often do the '2-city NC start'. Get writing, hard build library in capital, get 2nd city up (often with the liberty settler), buy the library there and then hard build the NC (with some chopping help).
    Most of the times the NC is up at turn 60~70 (most of the times very early 60's).
    On the other hand this does mean the third city will come late (early 60's + build time settler + time to move the settler), etc.

I assume a 4 city setup will involve very early settler building? (as soon as cap hits 3 or 4?)

2. hazman79

hazman79 Chieftain

You might need Philosophy as well chap;)

3. anandus

anandus Errorist

I know, I research philosophy while building the library.

4. hazman79

hazman79 Chieftain

Can only comment on the words on screen, not the ones in your head!:)

5. anandus

anandus Errorist

True indeed ;)

But I'm curious to other peoples handling of the NC :)
    When do you build it? Is it a priority? Do you choprush it? etc

6. hazman79

hazman79 Chieftain

Ya, I tend to do 2 city, buy second library using the open borders sell, lux sell, discover CS money is in, then chop NC but as many have said before its always circumstantial to starting location, proximity of civs etc.

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

I've done the 4 city NC once or twice but usually go with a smaller number.

That's first settler Liberty induced followed right away with one hand built. (Liberty induced Worker before those so your luxuries near your capital are set up quickly as I recall these were also early luxuries.)

Then a second worker is built and it and the original one sent to set up those unique luxuries and resources.

But as soon as one of the unique luxaries gets built, the next settler is started.
    That 4th city definitely gets its library cash rushed, and sometimes often that 3rd city as well.

And oh yeah, the extra strategic resources your not planning on using along with the extra luxuries are all sold to get you the cash.

And I think it goes without saying that right after you get Philology you beeline that tech that opens up Colosseums and after those Libraries complete start the Circuses, Stone Works, and Colosseums.

8. besieger

besieger Chieftain

I haven't been able to pull this one off successfully in Immortal with Babylon, but I have done it in Emperor. Can someone offer advice on how to not get dogpiled? :D