Please Help Thal

Devilize

Chieftain
I really enjoy your balance changes but I prefer my own custom marathon game in terms of turns and game speed such as research speed.

I downloaded the recent patch 108 and it seemed to void my changes to research speed and possibly some other changes but this was the most obvious. I was hunting around your mod files to find what what causing this conflict but I couldn't find what file(s) reflected the research/game speed/tech or w/e you were using. I decided to take my changed files and make it into a mod to force the files to update. This worked but caused conflicts and eventually ended with CTD.

If you could just point me in the right direction I would be very pleased, ty.

nvm, I was blindly looking for some kinda gamespeed xml or something that directly reflected the values I wanted to change, I found that you updated not the gamespeed values themselves but the individual grid technology cost via a .sql file found in...wait for it... Research folder. In my defense, I'm very tired.

You can disable VEM's increase in tech costs by commenting it out with /* */ symbols, like this:

Code:
/*
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 270   WHERE GridX = 4;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 500   WHERE GridX = 5;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 820   WHERE GridX = 6;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 1230  WHERE GridX = 7;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 1750  WHERE GridX = 8;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 2600  WHERE GridX = 9;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 3500  WHERE GridX = 10;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 4700  WHERE GridX = 11;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 5900  WHERE GridX = 12;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 7400  WHERE GridX = 13;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 9000  WHERE GridX = 14;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 10600 WHERE GridX = 15;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 12300 WHERE GridX = 16;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 13900 WHERE GridX = 17;
*/

UPDATE Technologies
SET Help = NULL;

File:
\VEM - Vanilla Enhanced Mod\Research\VER - General.sql

It's done like this because the increase in costs goes from 1% (medieval) to 20% (modern) on a smooth curve.

i actually prefer it your method, so instead ive simply altered your file a bit to reflect my own needs.

Code:
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 200	 WHERE GridX = 1;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 300	 WHERE GridX = 2;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 600	 WHERE GridX = 3;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 1200	 WHERE GridX = 4;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 1700	 WHERE GridX = 5;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 3400	 WHERE GridX = 6;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 3630	 WHERE GridX = 7;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 3790	 WHERE GridX = 8; 
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 8400	 WHERE GridX = 9;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 10500	 WHERE GridX = 10;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 13100	 WHERE GridX = 11;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 27000	 WHERE GridX = 12;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 28200	 WHERE GridX = 13;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 30000	 WHERE GridX = 14;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 55800 	 WHERE GridX = 15;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 57900 	 WHERE GridX = 16;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 58700 	 WHERE GridX = 17;

This is my kinda marathon game, pretty ridiculous i know, but it what i love. Looong games where I can take the time to enjoy each era and not feel like I'm racing to the end.

Awesome :goodjob:

I was just wondering how to do exactly this. Getting to the industrial era in 1300AD just doesn't seem right.

Awesome :goodjob:

I was just wondering how to do exactly this. Getting to the industrial era in 1300AD just doesn't seem right.

find your mod file by heading to...

(user name)\My Documents(or Documents)\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Unofficial Patch and Vanilla Enhanced (version)\VEM - Vanilla Enhanced Mod\Research

and look for the file named, VER - General.sql. I'd recommend making a backup file first. You can right click and hit 'edit' or 'open with' and use notepad to edit the file. To start you may want to copy the code below and replace it with what is inside the file you opened.

Code:
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 200	 WHERE GridX = 1;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 300	 WHERE GridX = 2;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 600	 WHERE GridX = 3;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 1200	 WHERE GridX = 4;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 1700	 WHERE GridX = 5;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 3400	 WHERE GridX = 6;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 3630	 WHERE GridX = 7;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 3790	 WHERE GridX = 8; 
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 8400	 WHERE GridX = 9;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 10500	 WHERE GridX = 10;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 13100	 WHERE GridX = 11;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 27000	 WHERE GridX = 12;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 28200	 WHERE GridX = 13;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 30000	 WHERE GridX = 14;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 55800 	 WHERE GridX = 15;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 57900 	 WHERE GridX = 16;
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = 58700 	 WHERE GridX = 17;

Where is says 'SET Cost = 200' the number '200' represents the technology cost and 'WHERE GridX = 1' the number '1' represents the technologies on the x axis '1' or in simple terms, everything in the first column of the tech tree a.k.a. animal husbandry, pottery, mining and archery. Dont edit the gridx number just the set cost number. When your done messing around save, exit and start up a game to see your changes.

Do remember that slowing down the tech rate does make the game easier the same way marathon speed does, by placing a higher emphasis on combat (which humans are much better at) and making units move relatively faster with the same movement points.

Changing the balance between the yields has other effects too. With slower research, cultural victories are easier, and we're more likely to run out of things to build and purchase.

Oh I've increased the culture rate to be more consistent with the research rate as well. I don't allow a cultural victory anyways, only a research victory. I'm slightly an rp player so I don't go guns blazing trying to destroy all, I usually play Americans on a huge earth map and kinda help out the little guy getting beat on by supplying resources, gold and units. I generally play on emperor so the AI is pretty good at keeping up with me in tech research. Afa buildings go i like having some pause between eras so to enjoy them maybe have war with those current era units. What can I say, I'm a niche player but if it's what I like its all that matters.

Top Bottom