Please login with administrator privileges and try again

I have Windows 8 here.

Civilization 4 (Complete CD ROM) was working well.

I installed latest MS Updates.

And now I get:

"Please login with administrator privileges and try again"

However I am already logged in as an administrator.

Any clues?

Just a guess, but make sure that the game' exe is set to have administrator privileges (in the right click menu). The game makes changes to itself during bootup and needs admin privileges to do so.

That's the exe itself not the shortcut.

I have been playing this game for years and all of a sudden (after making no changes to PC) I get please log in as adminstrator and try again. Why is it suddenly telling me that and how do I fix it

Same problem after today's updates. Tried compatibility changes, administrator log on. No luck. Windows now declares Civ4 to be incompatible after troubleshooting. Had the same prob when I tried Windows 10, so rolled back to 7. Was fine until today's updates. Help????? Have not tried activating hidden administrator account.

Tried a bunch of different configuration changes via compatibility mode and nothing is working. The game ran fine for years until the latest Windows update installed today.

Please post the solution if anyone discovers it.

Finally found the issue, which is to say I found which update (KB3086255) from the latest Windows update has caused the issue. The issue is that the secdrv service had been disabled, which incidentally is the same reason Civ4 doesn't work on Windows 10 (I am using Windows 8).

I found the information here (I hope it's okay for me to post this link - it wasn't easy to find via Google):
http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/september-2015-windows-updates-kb3086255-breaks-many-games/

I ran the two commands listed from a command prompt with admin privs and was then able to run Civ4:

sc config secdrv start= demand
sc start secdrv

I assume that to be safe it should be stopped and then again disabled after running the game. Probably a good candidate for a couple of batch files.

which incidentally is the same reason Civ4 doesn't work on Windows 10
I am running Civ 4 on Windows 10 without any problems.

I installed exactly as per my thread. Note: I have 3 disks - Vanilla, Warlords and Beyond the Sword, and not Complete or Steam editions.

Finally found the issue, which is to say I found which update (KB3086255) from the latest Windows update has caused the issue. The issue is that the secdrv service had been disabled, which incidentally is the same reason Civ4 doesn't work on Windows 10 (I am using Windows 8).

I found the information here (I hope it's okay for me to post this link - it wasn't easy to find via Google):
http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/september-2015-windows-updates-kb3086255-breaks-many-games/

I ran the two commands listed from a command prompt with admin privs and was then able to run Civ4:

sc start secdrv

I assume that to be safe it should be stopped and then again disabled after running the game. Probably a good candidate for a couple of batch files.

This has resolved my problem and I am Civ4ing again.

Well done.

Many thanks!

I didn't uninstall the update because it appears that secdrv is a real security concern so it's not necessarily a bad idea to have it disabled when you're not in need of it.

To reduce the pain of having to enable and start the service to run Civ and then stop and disable it so that the service isn't left running (it only needs to be running to launch Civ), I created two batch files. Each must be ran as an administrator.

start-secdrv.bat:
start cmd.exe /k "sc config secdrv start=demand"
start cmd.exe /k "sc start secdrv"

stop-secdrv.bat
start cmd.exe /k "sc stop secdrv"
start cmd.exe /k "sc config secdrv start=disabled"

The /k is to keep the windows open, so that you can initially see the results. Eventually, you'll probably want to change it to /c, to close the windows automatically for a cleaner process.

sc start secdrv

I tried to enter this and I got this answer:
[SC] OpenService FAILED 5:
Access is denied.

Any ideas?

You will need to to do this as administrator.

I tried the secdrv thing with the command prompt, but it didn't work. I was logged on as administrator. The commands didn't work. Anyway I then tried googling the KB3086255 update and found this:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/...-updates-kb3086255-breaks-many-games.1155534/

Apparently this update has effected a lot of other games too. I tried uninstalling it in windows update. After it rebooted I tried the game. I still had it in windows xp compatibility mode from trying other fixes from before. The game finally went to the starting window, but didn't recognize the disc. I turned off compatability mode and the game ran fine.
Now widows has reinstalled the update. Damn it.

You need to start the command prompt as Administrator.

Are you kidding me? As all of us, I've been playing this game for years, and now it doesn't work? I figured it was that update!The instructions above and talk of "batch files" I think is beyond me a more than a bit. I'd hate to start messing with things on a regular basis and then the whole computer is messed up. I guess I either evolve or I don't. This is TERRIBLE! I simply don;t understand why after so many years the only game I really play doesn't work.

even the person who wrote the linked to article said its impractical and somewhat dangerous to be constantly changing the registry everytime you want to play. Is this the kind of thing that the company who made the game can fix eventually, or does this mean that its more or less over for this game?

You need to start the command prompt as Administrator.
That worked. Now it says "Start Service FAILED 1056" "An instance of the service is already running".
So I guess it is on now. The game crashes after the loading screen.
Now I am wondering if reinstalling that update twice has screwed something up.

Are you kidding me? As all of us, I've been playing this game for years, and now it doesn't work? I figured it was that update!The instructions above and talk of "batch files" I think is beyond me a more than a bit. I'd hate to start messing with things on a regular basis and then the whole computer is messed up. I guess I either evolve or I don't. This is TERRIBLE! I simply don;t understand why after so many years the only game I really play doesn't work.
I bought every Civ IV edition on disk (Vanilla, Warlords and BTS) as they came out years ago and installed as per my thread on to Windows 10 and all the mods run, including new mods I have downloaded.

I have not got the Complete edition, nor the Steam edition.

Just BTS is all I care about, as it incorporates all the features of the previous two in a cohesive one.

Top Bottom