Policies

You can only deactivate trees by unlocking something that is incompatible with an earlier tree, right? (rationalism after piety, for example) I could probably take the time to rationalize it as your leader/empire going back on their previously held beliefs of something, but meh. I haven't had to deactivate a tree as of yet, so I've never ran into this particular intellectual quandary. :p

The thing is, any explanation for Rationalism deactivating Peity (or Autocracy <-> Freedom or whatever), turns the "Theocracy+Free Religion" combo irrational.

This is contradictory and unintuitive game design. Not good.

The thing is, any explanation for Rationalism deactivating Peity (or Autocracy <-> Freedom or whatever), turns the "Theocracy+Free Religion" combo irrational.

This is contradictory and unintuitive game design. Not good.

IMO piety <-> rationalism are completely diametrically opposed, unlike, say, communism + theocracy.. That's why they are mutually exclusive, makes sense to me.

I can envision, as others said, a communist society that is at the same time very pious and has some elements of free market.. But to go from that to freedom of thought and a rationalist view of the world, rather than a religious view, would turn it around quite a bit and come with some upheaval (the anarchy implied in switching).

I'm sure you can find arguments against what I just said... FWIW, it makes sense to me and works quite well in the game when I play it, and adds immersion to me. Can you argue against that? ;) (Yes I love the game, despite the faulty combat/naval AI....)

IMO piety <-> rationalism are completely diametrically opposed, unlike, say, communism + theocracy.. That's why they are mutually exclusive, makes sense to me.

I can envision, as others said, a communist society that is at the same time very pious and has some elements of free market.. But to go from that to freedom of thought and a rationalist view of the world, rather than a religious view, would turn it around quite a bit and come with some upheaval (the anarchy implied in switching).

I'm sure you can find arguments against what I just said... FWIW, it makes sense to me and works quite well in the game when I play it, and adds immersion to me. Can you argue against that? ;) (Yes I love the game, despite the faulty combat/naval AI....)

It's quite easy, since you didn't address my point at all.

Peity <-> Rationalism = Theocracy <-> Free Religion.

The first "completely diametrical opposition" is acknowledged by the game, the second isn't.

I've been giving some thought to this Civics vs. Social Policies debate. Several people maintain that the old system of Civics is less linear and offers more options as you progress through the game. I wanted to offer up this alternate viewpoint:

In Civ IV, as you progress through the game, you unlock, one at a time, new civics. For instance, usually the first civic seen when you research bronze working is slavery. A window comes up and asks if you want to adopt slavery, yes or no. Pretty much that's how the civics unlock, one at a time, and you are asked each time if you want to adopt the new civic, yes or no. Also, this usually happens in almost the same order in every game, depending a little on your tech research.

In Civ V, as you progress through your civilizations history and accrue enough culture, you are presented with (at the start) three options, for three very different routes your civilization can take. At each level that social policies open, you are given a choice of several options. If you have started several branches of policies, you could have six or more options available.

It's occurred to me that the new system of Social Policies in Civ V is far less linear. It provides many more options as you progress through your civilizations history. We all know that strategy gamers love options, I know I do. And I know, that in the civics system, you can switch to previously discovered civics whenever you want. But I maintain that that is kind of a 'cheap' way of running your Civ's government. This is of course my personal opinion of the system, but being able to completely change your government, with little consequence, simply because it gives you a convenient advantage at a certain moment, is pretty lame. I was never crazy about this aspect of Civ IV.

In Civ V, as you build your civilization, it becomes what it becomes, based on your social policy decisions. If you experiment and it doesn't work, you can try something else in a subsequent game. But, personally, I would take a more open-ended system like social policies in Civ V that doesn't allow on-a-dime changes, over the one-at-a-time, yes-or-no system of Civ IV that does.

But they aren't, and haven't been historically. The Renaissance era and beyond was both about piety and about rationalism, secularism, and humanism. Optics was seen as a way to discover the sacred geometry of the universe, social sciences were about finding the laws of government in the laws of God, ie the laws of nature. Renaissance artists applied their skills to Church architecture, Christian art, etc. Christian theology has always been rooted in a type of rationalism, which is why so many Christian theologians have been in arguments with people who promote Eastern religion, which in turn is often about mysticism. ie mainstream Christianity thinks the truth of God can be understood through reason, Buddhism rejects that.

In addition to that, Rationalism as a particular movement in philosophy was led by Christian thinkers who sought to use reason to prove the existence of God. Descartes, Malebranche, Spinoza, Liebniz, Pascal, Gassendi, etc... Descartes of course has his famous argument, Malebranche argued everything in the world was an instance of God, as did Spinoza, Liebniz argued for the existence of miracles and the immortal soul and discussed theodicity -- the idea that evil can exist in a world created by God, Pascal is famous for his 'dilemma', Gassendi tried to reconcile Epicurianism with Christian beliefs.

The opposite of Piety isn't Rationalism, but Skepticism, possibly Empiricism, depending on how you define it, and possibly what is called in philosophy 'Scientism' -- the belief that you can explain everything in the world using scientific methodology. A good example of a thinker that fits this category is David Hume.

People don't have enough appreciation for the degree Western philosophy has been shaped by Christian theology.

The more I read your posts Charon, the more convinced I'm becoming that you in fact never played Civ4 long enough to learn its gameplay. I can't explain your reasoning otherwise

I've been giving some thought to this Civics vs. Social Policies debate. Several people maintain that the old system of Civics is less linear and offers more options as you progress through the game. I wanted to offer up this alternate viewpoint:

In Civ IV, as you progress through the game, you unlock, one at a time, new civics. For instance, usually the first civic seen when you research bronze working is slavery. A window comes up and asks if you want to adopt slavery, yes or no. Pretty much that's how the civics unlock, one at a time, and you are asked each time if you want to adopt the new civic, yes or no. Also, this usually happens in almost the same order in every game, depending a little on your tech research.

It's occurred to me that the new system of Social Policies in Civ V is far less linear. It provides many more options as you progress through your civilizations history. We all know that strategy gamers love options, I know I do. And I know, that in the civics system, you can switch to previously discovered civics whenever you want. But I maintain that that is kind of a 'cheap' way of running your Civ's government. This is of course my personal opinion of the system, but being able to completely change your government, with little consequence, simply because it gives you a convenient advantage at a certain moment, is pretty lame. I was never crazy about this aspect of Civ IV.

In Civ V, as you build your civilization, it becomes what it becomes, based on your social policy decisions. If you experiment and it doesn't work, you can try something else in a subsequent game. But, personally, I would take a more open-ended system like social policies in Civ V that doesn't allow on-a-dime changes, over the one-at-a-time, yes-or-no system of Civ IV that does.

Almost the same order? Depending "a little" on my tech research? Are you serious? In some games I'll never reach for Pacifism and won't pursue it, in others despite having access to Slavery I won't change into it due to slave revolts/anarchy, various civics usage have large repercussions due to interactions with other nations leaders (it's called diplomacy, and it adds depth to the game), going for Free Religion might either save your skin, or cause you to lose your allies while still having various other effects (no upkeep, bonus science and happiness), there are wonders allowing you to use all the civics from a tree at once (and you don't have to build them, you can plan which city has such wonder and conquer it, because you know, wonders are famous so the info about where they're built should be easily accessible in every Civ game)...

What I'm saying is that the idea that it's all "on-a-dime" change is downright silly! Sometimes you spend ages deciding which path to go, and on the next day you end up in a heated discussion with your civ friend about the choice you've made in your game the other night - that's depth. That's complexity. All too often various interactions between civic's effects can lead to tremendously different outcomes - essentially you're creating your own game, on a far larger scale than Civ5 could ever allow.

I'm sorry but when you state that changing your government in Civ4 has little consequence and you call stiff policy system of Civ5 more open-ended - I couldn't disagree more.

In Civ V, as you progress through your civilizations history and accrue enough culture, you are presented with (at the start) three options, for three very different routes your civilization can take. At each level that social policies open, you are given a choice of several options. If you have started several branches of policies, you could have six or more options available.
In civ5 by the time you acquire enough culture for one-two out of three choices (barring culture goody huts), in Civ4 you can have access to three early civics - Slavery, Hereditary Rule and Organized Religion. But guess what - you can have either all of them, or none of them - it all depends on you, and it all can be beneficial unlike in civ5 (I'm talking civic upkeep and favourite civics issue here) So right from the start you've got more choices, and this is only beginning (not to mention that if you happen to get Pyramids you've got seven choices).

Theoretically your viewpoint might have sense, but in practice is only shows how little you know about the civics system in Civ4. I'm sorry if that sounds inflammatory but Social Policies are devoid of so many factors that civics in Civ4 have that to state that civics are one-at-a-time, yes-or-no system is simply incorrect.

I think the policies would work better if you could have a revolution, scrap one tree, and reinvest some/all the points. Most successful nations have had innovative revolutions at some stage, in fact all the UN security council if that's a measure of national success. If you get rid of the bonus policies from piety I'm sure the policy trees could be rebalanced to let revolutions happen, if someone had the imagination to do so.

I think the policies would work better if you could have a revolution, scrap one tree, and reinvest some/all the points. Most successful nations have had innovative revolutions at some stage, in fact all the UN security council if that's a measure of national success. If you get rid of the bonus policies from piety I'm sure the policy trees could be rebalanced to let revolutions happen, if someone had the imagination to do so.

It would be great if you could pick a previously chosen policy, you lost the policy, got a portion of the cultural cost back, and then had a period of anarchy. You would have to watch it on one time policies, but otherwise it would add a bit of flexibility to the system.

But they aren't, and haven't been historically. The Renaissance era and beyond was both about piety and about rationalism, secularism, and humanism. Optics was seen as a way to discover the sacred geometry of the universe, social sciences were about finding the laws of government in the laws of God, ie the laws of nature. Renaissance artists applied their skills to Church architecture, Christian art, etc. Christian theology has always been rooted in a type of rationalism, which is why so many Christian theologians have been in arguments with people who promote Eastern religion, which in turn is often about mysticism. ie mainstream Christianity thinks the truth of God can be understood through reason, Buddhism rejects that.

In addition to that, Rationalism as a particular movement in philosophy was led by Christian thinkers who sought to use reason to prove the existence of God. Descartes, Malebranche, Spinoza, Liebniz, Pascal, Gassendi, etc... Descartes of course has his famous argument, Malebranche argued everything in the world was an instance of God, as did Spinoza, Liebniz argued for the existence of miracles and the immortal soul and discussed theodicity -- the idea that evil can exist in a world created by God, Pascal is famous for his 'dilemma', Gassendi tried to reconcile Epicurianism with Christian beliefs.

The opposite of Piety isn't Rationalism, but Skepticism, possibly Empiricism, depending on how you define it, and possibly what is called in philosophy 'Scientism' -- the belief that you can explain everything in the world using scientific methodology. A good example of a thinker that fits this category is David Hume.

People don't have enough appreciation for the degree Western philosophy has been shaped by Christian theology.

I believe Galileo is an excellent example on how opposed piety is to rationalism. The Church thought science was all fine and good, until results came back that disagreed with whatever random doctrines they had. Heck, the Church couldn't even properly apologize for what they did to Galileo (they apologized for not being right about how the universe worked, not for what they did to the man -- as if it would have been justified if they had been right).

And those examples of arguments for god? They are known as failed arguments in philosophy circles (though perhaps not in theological circles). Heck, even Pascal himself said his wager was full of crap.

Naturally where a society has been has shaped where it was, but I think that in Civ V terms the Renaissance was a culture moving from Piety to Rationalism. This process was anything but pretty (though I think the SP system could use some tweaks in this regard). Of course, one can view the many failed attempts at trying to reconcile reason with religious belief in western culture as another example of where we've been shaping us. They did this because of the power and influence the Greek Philosophers had on western civilization.

It would be great if you could pick a previously chosen policy, you lost the policy, got a portion of the cultural cost back, and then had a period of anarchy. You would have to watch it on one time policies, but otherwise it would add a bit of flexibility to the system.

Agreed.

To finally get back to your question, Ven:

What is the name of the last policy in piety? I thought it was free religion for some reason, but it's in rationalism? If so, that saves me the trouble of having to rationalize theocracy/free religion since you apparently can't have that combo at all. :p

Or are you saying that Free Religion should be in rationalism instead of piety? (I'm bein' lazy again, not going to look it up or read through other people's responses to figure out what you're actually arguing; just trolling the forums for a bit while I wait for an episode of Dexter to load [hooray serial killing!])

If the latter is in fact the case you're trying to make, I'm not really buying it, but w/e. (judging from my lazy skimming, others have already made some counter-arguments; no need to add more)

Either way, policies are still doin' just fine by me.

I wish they would have named them "cultural values" and then built a separate government system. But alas, the concept behind SPs is pretty good.

In Civ IV you could "respec" your empire through a small gold cost (anarchy), just like most MMORPG games, such as the ubiquitous World of Warcraft.

Civ IV is an MMORPG!!!!!

Have you ever played Civ IV?????

Anarchy, difference in mainteinance cost, other drawbacks... It's all but not WoW... If that's the level of posts, now i understand what type of audiance this game appeals... As well why they tested the AI against monkeys....:lol:

Fair enough. Given how polarizing the game has become, it's hard to be tongue and cheek.

Civ4 certainly had some weird combinations possible. State Property was a Communism civic. Communism is about having a classless society. But you could run State Property and Caste System. I found that to be a pretty funny contradiction. Funny being a relative term of course :D.

State property is a communism civic?!?:crazyeye:

So every state who runs state properties is a communist country?!?:crazyeye:

Please open an history book once in a while. My degree in history and archeology and reading some of these posts make my eyes bleeding...

By the way, Socials could be a nice addition to civics, no a sub...

Cheers

Top Bottom