Policy Discussion: Honor

Agreed. Many a time have I come up against an AI army with units firing at me from outside my range simply because they made sure to "level up" before attacking me.
AI handles the +1 range promotion quite well. They also tend to pick out my +1 units as primary targets and if I leave them unprotected they're toast. That's only anecdotal evidence which may just be my internal rage biasing my opinion because of the loss.
ok.
I'm playing in rapid combat, that's perhaps why i didn't notice it.
Or maybe because i can't see them without a unit with 'scout' promotion.

Do you see +range often in the ai navy also?

I don't see a lot of naval battles honestly, mostly because by the time I use a good navy there are few barbs left for the AI to farm experience from and I usually eliminate their units before they get close.
Not saying they don't also use +1 range naval units but I can't recall seeing them.

I want to chime in here because I really enjoy playing the Authority playstyle in CBP (epic, prince), and its definitely my favorite opening tree since I began experimenting a few months ago. Except there's just one thing...

I never actually open with Authority. I always take two Tradition policies first.

Tradition - +3 culture and +2 food in the capital is so powerful in those opening turns
Sovereignty - +20% border growth I feel is mandatory to really make the border pop mechanics of Authority work. I used to also need the +2 faith in order to get a pantheon, but shrines are better now so its not really too important anymore.

The thing is I just don't even use the initial Authority policy until around the time I'm picking up my third policy anyways. I love the philosophy that all three ancient trees are foundation trees, and I think the initial and 1st tier policies should be oriented more towards growth and expansion instead of the combat focus they have now.

Also - consider granting a single, free, strong unit like a swordsman or horseman early in the tree that I might actually be tempted to use to clear camps with.

Would it be possible to get iron-based melee units if iron is available from the 8-pop free unit policy? There really isn't much other use for iron in the early game and iron usage transitions to siege units at the same time as melee units cut over into tercios.

Getting spears instead of swords in particular seems weak. Usually at the point where you are taking the policy you are putting yourself in a spot w/ spears that you will neeed to spend a lot of gold on upgrades just to keep the units relevant.

Would it be possible to get iron-based melee units if iron is available from the 8-pop free unit policy? There really isn't much other use for iron in the early game and iron usage transitions to siege units at the same time as melee units cut over into tercios.

Getting spears instead of swords in particular seems weak. Usually at the point where you are taking the policy you are putting yourself in a spot w/ spears that you will neeed to spend a lot of gold on upgrades just to keep the units relevant.
I can see there being a few issues with that.

1. I may not want just any city eating up my iron. If I have a Heroic Epic built, I want my iron-units coming from that city, not others.

2. I personally don't like using more than my own personal supply of strategic resources in the early game where keeping CS alliances may be tenuous. It's not fun to be in middle of a war and have someone drop a GD on your ally providing half of your iron, then ending up with multiple units that can't heal themselves.

You don't need to spend gold to upgrade, especially if the free unit came from a city without Barracks/Armory. Just gift it to a CS and build the new version, or use it as cannon-fodder in your next war to eat a hit or two.

I see when this thread was first started there was an idea to gain gold from killing units, 'Looting'.

Not sure if the idea was ever implemented and then dropped but I'd like to revisit that idea.
Currently Authority grants you gold in the following manner:
Tribute: Cities gain +30 Gold and Food when their borders expand.
Discipline: Gold maintenance for units reduced by 15%, and for Routes by 50%. (Though not technically GETTING gold the end result is more gold for general use.)

What about adding gold on kills to one of them, probably Tribute although Dominance would work also.

I'd say the rate used for science and culture gain is too much, maybe halve it for gold.

PS. Perhaps a moderator might rename this thread to:
Policy Discussion: Authority

I see when this thread was first started there was an idea to gain gold from killing units, 'Looting'.

Not sure if the idea was ever implemented and then dropped but I'd like to revisit that idea.
Currently Authority grants you gold in the following manner:
Tribute: Cities gain +30 Gold and Food when their borders expand.
Discipline: Gold maintenance for units reduced by 15%, and for Routes by 50%. (Though not technically GETTING gold the end result is more gold for general use.)

What about adding gold on kills to one of them, probably Tribute although Dominance would work also.

I'd say the rate used for science and culture gain is too much, maybe halve it for gold.
I'm not a fan, you don't want too much focus on killing stuff. The current Authority does have plenty of goldbonuses as you've already mentioned and I think that's fine.

PS. Perhaps a moderator might rename this thread to:
Policy Discussion: Authority
Pretty pointless writing that here, not as if the mods go through threads looking for suggestions. If it does matter to you, report the thread using the report feature and it will get attention.

Was the 'Looting' ever included? Be interesting to see the posts about it's OP if so, but I'm just curious about it, not too concerned if it stays the same.

I've seen a few moderators posting here so I thought I'd put it out there, I've completely forgotten how to report it.

Was the 'Looting' ever included? Be interesting to see the posts about it's OP if so, but I'm just curious about it, not too concerned if it stays the same.
Well, it was in the original Honor tree (in vanilla), so probably? Can't remember at which point it was dropped however.

I've seen a few moderators posting here so I thought I'd put it out there, I've completely forgotten how to report it.
There's a triangle under a persons name in his post, that's how you report.

Hopefully in civ6, we won't have to balance the economic power between the different civics(if we have got the gold or when we unlock a new civic, we will be able to change them). I can't wait to see this new system :)

Currently, I think authority is the clear winner with dominance. The restoring 20hp on kill is way too overtuned. I think it needs a nerf to 10hp. The reason I say this is because it makes your units far harder to kill. It is so good, it feels punishing not taking it. It also diminished the Aztec UU ability (or it makes it nearly unbearable should they ever get to tercios and onward). Or better yet,, Japanese samurai with dominance makes it extremely hard to lose a unit if you leave them last hits, and they usually heal more than the damage they take.

Is anyone else seeing barbarian camps appearing without a notification of them?
Seems like for every camp that I am notified of there is another that gets missed.

Is anyone else seeing barbarian camps appearing without a notification of them?
Seems like for every camp that I am notified of there is another that gets missed.

So no-one else is seeing barb camps spawn without notification?

I think it happened to me once, but I think I know why it is so :

If land is uncovered by ruin but you don't send anyone there to actually explore, then there will be no notification. At least it was so in my case.

As for Honor - it's too often for me, that military units spawn near cities with 8, 16, 24 etc. citizens. I have huge crowd of more or less useless units. I'd like to receive unit when my cities reach 20, 40, 60 population. Can I change any xml file in order to set this value, anyone knows? Please, tell me.

As for Honor - it's too often for me, that military units spawn near cities with 8, 16, 24 etc. citizens. I have huge crowd of more or less useless units. I'd like to receive unit when my cities reach 20, 40, 60 population. Can I change any xml file in order to set this value, anyone knows? Please, tell me.

You can disband them to get a bit of gold back or just gift them to a city state for 12 or 15 influence, I forgot. Don't keep useless units unless you have a city to garrison them in.

But if you insist, go to MODS/(2)/balance changes/policies/honor, there's an sql there. If I'm right,

UPDATE Policies
SET BestRangedUnitSpawnSettle = '8'
WHERE Type = 'POLICY_PROFESSIONAL_ARMY' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_POLICIES' AND Value= 1 );

is the one that ought to be changed.

Last edited:
But if you insist, go to MODS/(2)/balance changes/policies/honor, there's an sql there. If I'm right,

UPDATE Policies
SET BestRangedUnitSpawnSettle = '8'
WHERE Type = 'POLICY_PROFESSIONAL_ARMY' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_POLICIES' AND Value= 1 );

is the one that ought to be changed.

Thank you, but I have done it already. The only result was that melee unit appeared instead of ranged unit.

Top Bottom