Poll: Suzerain city state units, and open borders

Should Civ's be able to open their borders to City States?

• Other - explanation in comments.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nzcamel

Nahtanoj the Magnificent
I think there should be a way (without levying the units) that Civs can give CS that they have Suzerainty over open borders through their land. Here's a prime example:

Zanzibar's finest have helped me bash the Scots into submission, yet as soon as I decide to keep the city, it boots the Zanzibarians out, and as a result those archers in the middle of the pic - they're now stuck there! I could buy the tile for 300 gold shortly; but I'm a bit cash poor atm; and shouldn't have to resort to that regardless.

I get that (esp if you are Suzerain of a few different CS's) their units being all over could get annoying if they automatically had open borders; so I think that the player should be able to give any CS they are Suzerain of Open borders for 30 turns at no cost to the CS. That could also be to your benefit if you're at war with someone who's on the far side of you from your CS, allowing them to cross your lands and get involved.

Spoiler :

20180522215513_1.jpg

For consistency in game design, I think Suzerainty should be treated like being Allied, and the City State units should get the same access through your territory that your units get through theirs.

The downside is the AI units plunking their butts down in bad spots in your territory. That's a different problem though: your civilian units should be able to occupy the same tiles as your allies' military units, the same way they can occupy the same tiles as your military units.

Liberation should not immediately boot anyone out. I mean, nobody should even have the power to do such a thing

Liberation should not immediately boot anyone out. I mean, nobody should even have the power to do such a thing

Technically this was a conquest, but yes, I agree with your point. Why would I kick my allies out of my lands?

Technically this was a conquest, but yes, I agree with your point. Why would I kick my allies out of my lands?

Yea, but even beyond that, if you've just restored a government, how does it have the power to immediately boot everyone else outside?

Top Bottom