Poll: Which Civilizations are least competitive in your games?

Poll: Which Civilizations are least competitive in your games?

• Total voters
Most of the poorly-ranked AIs in this poll have the "conqueror" personality type. It's the type which depends on conquering citystates to succeed. To work around Firaxis' decision to block AIs attacking citystates in the early game, in v151.11 each "conqueror" AI is now set to permanent war with its nearest citystate neighbor at the start of the game. Hopefully this will encourage them to attack the vulnerable citystate instead of wasting time and energy running across a continent to attack a major civ, losing the war, and falling behind.

I think there is more to it that just the CS block, some of the other conquerors and usual warmongers are at the other end of the results table.

@albie
Maybe, but at least this way it's more likely.

@rfxmills
They were at the top before, and at bottom after. It was a straightforward difference.

I don't actually agree with Spain having 7 votes. Every time I play, I noticed she is a complete utter *****. Perhaps that has something to do with me having played Denmark a lot when I decided to buy the DLC. Babylon also isn't very competitive and I noticed Spain doesn't like Babylon that much either. Mongolia is on point. And America.. well not sure if I can comment on America cause I happened to only play 1 game with them but they were lacking in pretty much everything (especially military) which seems odd.

Cause it's my personal belief the American government is one of the most warmongering, terrorizing, fascist... nevermind, that may really only apply as of today.

@rfxmills
They were at the top before, and at bottom after. It was a straightforward difference.

Mongolia, Denmark, Songhai and the Aztecs are runaway leaders in this poll, but other civs from the conqueror/coalition set are doing ok (Japan, Rome, Spain and England), while the rest (Russia, China, France, Greece and Germany) are some of the best performers.

It's hard to make appraisals given the AI's recently erratic patterns, but I have noticed an improvement among the lower-tier civs. Songhai has always been occasionally successful in my games, and continues to have its moments. Mongolia has also improved - interestingly, I've signed a couple of RA's with them recently, and I do this only with civs who have an average-or-better beaker count.

This mod updates very frequently so polls like this can quickly become out of date. It has been interesting to see that some conquerors doing badly and a possible solution arise with this permanent war against their closest CS neighbour. I still think there is more to it than just that as some other conquerors are doing very well.

I think once the big bug has been tracked down, it would be worth running this poll again and seeing how things have changed.

I had another story this game where Genghis attacked me with 5 vanguards, 5 catapults and one horseman. Because he only had one horse... It's quite clear that the attack didn't went well for the Mongols and Karakorum fell when I attacked back quite easily. He just had vanguards and catapults and one lonely horse...

What if we give some of the particularly aggressive civs the ressource for their unique unit on thei capital tile? 2 additional horses would have been enough for Genghis to wreak havoc around my cities I guess. (The other reason why his attack failed was that he was apparently gunning for my lightly defended capital on the other side of my empire and thus was under constant fire from my other cities).

Top Bottom