• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

POLL: worst unique unit in Civ5

what is the worst unique unit in Civ5?

• War chariot

Votes: 55 34.2%
  • Jaguar

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Minutemen

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Mohawk warrior

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Slinger

Votes: 24 14.9%
  • B-17

Votes: 42 26.1%
  • Legion

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Camel archer

• Maori warrior

• Sipahi

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i will take out the 4 options that get the less votes in about a week and remake another final poll about this.

Does anyone have actual thoughts on the Sipahi? I get the impression no one's voting for it just because no one plays the Ottomans.

Not a big deal either way, I would consider keeping it for the next poll.

The Ottomans are weird. Nobody likes the UA and nobody cares about the Sipahi. But Janissaries are considered so good that a good argument can be made that they're not bad overall.

The Sipahi aren't that bad. They're pretty much the greatest scouts you'll get, and their offense is solid. I didn't really get much use of their pillaging ability, but mostly because I'd gone through a long period of peace and had nukes by the time someone declared war on me.

I think their biggest weakness is simply being a lancer replacement. I could see hit and run pillaging being a viable strategy, but their frailness is pretty damning.

Also, I vote to add the Musketeer in the next iteration. Obsolete with rifling and no promotion to carry on

EDIT: I actually sorta like the Ottomans, but mostly because they get cool music and Suleiman the giant.

Does anyone have actual thoughts on the Sipahi? I get the impression no one's voting for it just because no one plays the Ottomans.
But Sipahi is still quite better than other useless UUs like Zero & Slingers. One thing I can't understand is that why everyone is voting War Chariots ? They are much better than Slingers & Zeros. Atleast they are a improved version of the standard unit unlike slinger.

Yeah, Zero was bad, although I never really used it because the AI didn't have an airforce.

B-17 comes too late for most of my games.

War Chariots. Chariots are already garbage. Unless you happen to start in a flat desert (otherwise you might get forests), they'll get bogged in the terrain and be about as useful as an ordinary archer. The "slowed down by rough terrain" really kills them IMO. Another contender is the Zero, who suffers the same problem as the War Chariot. At least Fighters are much better and I never build them simply because the AI never has that much of an air force, not because they're bad.

At least stuff like the Bowman and the Landsknecht replaces units that you would actually build (Archers, Pikes) and thus have a chance of being used. The Zero and the War Chariot replace units that I already never build because they simply aren't useful. I'm not going out of my way to build them just because they're unique.

how can fighters be better than zeros??

I voted for the war chariot. It comes too early in the game to be effective on anything other than barbarians. Egypt isn't really an offensive oriented civilization, so that takes them out of an invasion force. War chariots aren't around very long either.

I tried one game to milk the war chariot for all they were worth. I brought them to the front lines, got them a ton of xp, had logistics and everything. They still sucked.

See, this is what grinds my nerves a bit... I get why people don't like modern units... at the same time... maybe I'm alone... but I love late game.. I like using modern units and waging modern warfare... So it's nuts... I like the B17, Panzer and Zero... because I love modern warfare... but the game ends in 2050.... which is annoying... I sometimes wish Civ went just a bit further into the future... just long enough to make modern units slightly more desirable....

(Voted b17)

Seems like we're missing a few here...since you've included the Inca and Polynesia UU, where are the ones for the Spanish, Danes and Babylonians? :confused:

Seems like we're missing a few here...since you've included the Inca and Polynesia UU, where are the ones for the Spanish, Danes and Babylonians? :confused:
Babylon has one of the best UU. Spanish & Danish UUs are great too. However Incan UU sucks & Poly UU is not that great.

Chariots are mobile archers. As a builder, I use them all the time to defend against early rushes. (And use archers when starting in rough terrain.) Few units rack up promotions as quickly. This allows them to stay viable long enough that I often hesitate to upgrade them to knights. War chariots are the faster version. Never mind them being the worst - I really like them.

The same goes for War Elephants, for the same reason - great defense against early surprise attacks if you're a builder (as India and Egypt often are).

once the poll reaches a 150 votes i'll make another one with the recommendations i get here (like i said)

i don't want to start a poll with all choices but only one vote so consider this round one.

I don't get why the Minuteman is on this list. Since the road movement was patched, they're pretty much objectively better than the Musketeer, as they get a promotion that's awesome if you promote them to Mechanized Infantry, whereas the Musketeer is not only a musket unit, but one without a unique promotion.

Yep.. I very much dislike the fact that Musketeers have no promotions whatsoever associated with them. As soon as their short, late era is up.. it's upgrade time. Looking at some of the ridiculously overpowered promos that other unique units have (Keshiks come to mind), I feel like the French got robbed on this one.

With the French, I think it's worthwhile to skip Rifling until after you have Infantry. Build a Musketeer Army and conquer with Cannons. Then try to invade another continent with Foreign Legions and perhaps naval support (like a Battleship or two). The problem is you'd have to pass up on Dynamite and Fertilizer, which would often be inexcusable. The plus side, if you're going for a cultural victory, is the wonders you want are in the same place on the tree as the Foreign Legion.

Top Bottom