1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

PolyCast Episode 124: "Patch Your Eye Out"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by DanQ, Jul 16, 2011.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Ever alert. The one-hundred-and-twenty-fourth episode of PolyCast, "Patch Your Eye Out", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua" and Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew with returning guest co-hosts Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney and "MadDjinn"; it has a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m22s | News
    Initial impressions following first playthroughs of the substantial June Civilization V patch. Starting with Social Policies, the conversation then moves onto science and technology, including Research Agreements (13m22s); Infinite City Sprawl, also known as I.C.S. (25m22s); difficulty levels (29m42s), and finally Declarations of War (34m58s).
    - 44m01s | Forum Talk
    What to think, and make, of CivV's starting bias for civilization placement on maps.
    - 50m12s | Miscellaneous
    Weighing in on the substantial examination into stock image use in Civilization V.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    A warm welcome back to a Very Important Person to the show, soundalike mishap, and setting priorities.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

2. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

Thanxs for the post I enjoy the show a lot

3. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Likewise - looking forward to listening to this episode.

4. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Thanks to you both. :king:

Are you long-time listeners, recent arrivals to the show or somewhere in between?

5. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

my firt episode i saw had as title pounce like a tiger. So i am new... Civ 4 Was my first civilization game and then civ 5 wich i really looked forward to because i found the combat in civ 4 just random... But now I thinx diplomacy is to random in civ 5 something i didnt liked at all. Diplomacy was the reason why i started playing civilization 4 i usally play real time strategy games and wished to play a game with actually diplomacy that made sence

6. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

I came around fairly late - probably around episode 95-100 somewhere, right around when CIV V was coming out.

7. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Ah, you are both relative new listeners then -- welcome, welcome. I expect perhaps you came across the show from the news items on CFC's homepage?

Do feel free to browse the archive of episodes for others of interest as well if you are so inclined and haven't done so already. :) Thanks for the support!

8. vonbach

vonbach Chieftain

I just started listening to this show I like it a lot.

9. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

The social policy bug MadDjinn talked about was solved by the recent hotfix. The developers comments rumoured were this:

10. vexing

vexing knows

also the cost increase was very minor (exponent went from 2 to 2.01). culture victories are significantly easier after the patch.

11. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Chieftain

I'm glad MadDjinn was added to the podcast, he lends quite a bit of experience and insight. His Let's Plays are well known. :)

12. JamesG

JamesG Chieftain

Great show, thanks!
    Looking forward to the next one.

13. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

To both of you, thanks. :cool:

Thanks for noting these points in the update. During the week between the recording of this episode and its post-produced version release, the hotfix you both refer to was released.

Yes, MD was the guest on this episode's panel which, particularly given the CivV patch focus, was most welcome.

14. HitmanDan96

HitmanDan96 Chieftain

i love listening to polycast while playing civ V

15. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:hatsoff:

A winning combination in my view as well.

16. bcaiko

bcaiko Chieftain

First Polycast I've listened to and turns out I'm mentioned on it! :king: Thanks for the mention, y'all; I'm glad I could spark a discussion.

Subscribed to you guys on iTunes now. :)

17. utberguy

utberguy Chieftain

This is my 1st polycast & I really enjoyed it.
    I went on to listen to the CivWorld review, which I couldn't agree more

18. HitmanDan96

HitmanDan96 Chieftain

im also an ontarian civ fan:goodjob:
    :cheers:

19. Brichals

Brichals Chieftain

Great I will try this now. I love the podcast really but I haven't listened since Civ5 came out. I kind of always connected the Civ5 hate brigade with this podcast for some reason. I don't know if that's valid because as I say I never listened to it since 5 came out. I often read the notes though and it gave me that impression. Nothing against you guys on the podcast which is a brilliant endeavour, just the bad attitude in general towards Civ5 in the wider community.

20. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:D, timing can often be everything! You are welcome for the mention.

:king:

Thanks kindly to you :cool:, another new listener.

Receiving such feedback after first impressions is always welcome as there is only one opportunity to make it, and they are so important to maintain and further build an audience.

:)

I can well appreciate this perception. Between the show's regular panelists and many of the guests, there are a number of criticisms of Civilization V past and present given but are done in a constructive manner. Some of us are more positive about the game's current status and future prospects than others, but I would say that any negativity that comes across is about one or more aspects of the game wanting to be added, modified or removed as opposed to dismissing the game outright.

Hope you enjoy this episode and will return to the show's listening base. :yeah: