PolyCast Episode 278: "Go Deeper"

Have you tried taking a city with a frigate and a crossbow inside it as well as defenses? If I was at all worried I would build an encampment next to the harbor... but I have never lost a city so the whole discussion to me is moot.
I haven't really done much naval combat in Civ6, but my comment was about Civ5. In Civ5 I felt taking coastal cities with naval units was ridiculously easy. The combination of large movement (generally 4-6 points) and no obstacles on ocean to block movement or sight meant that it was generally easy to move in 5-6 naval ranged units to bombard the same city which would take it down very fast, after which you'd swoop in with a naval melee unit to claim the city. The fact that the extra range promotion was only level 3 for naval units, or something like that, just emphasized this even more. A handful of extra range battleships would devastate anything quickly.

Haven't listened to this episode yet, I'm just about to actually. But in regards to being overly critical, I do think TheMeInTeam does come across a bit condescending (he is always right and his way is always best) and too cynical much of the time. It's not so bad it makes me want to stop listening or anything, it's just noticeable. The rest of the cast I think has a pretty good balance generally, I think it shows that you do love the franchise, but don't take it or yourselves too seriously either. Keep it up! :)

I have always taken TheMeInTeam's attitude to be humor and completely intentional. I seriously doubt he truly believes everything he says, he's just being funny. There is another host who DOES always know more than everyone else, rags on most everything (and everyone) and likely takes it as truth, which is not funny. I do think that rubs off on the others a bit at times, but I don't hold it against them.

Regarding the Harbor, I think I like it as it is currently. If you want Gold build a Commercial Hub, if you want Production build an Industrial Zone, and if you want Food build a Granary and/or Water Mill. The Harbor is just there to supplement those yields. Since the Shipyard has different yields than the Lighthouse and Seaport, the only change I would suggest is, unlike the other districts, maybe they should make the Shipyard independent from the other two. If you want Production, you shouldn't need to build a Lighthouse first.

Personally I think it is just fine, it is to make your coastal city more effective over time. production is there primarily to build ships in my view so taking it from the harbour is just crazy. It would also devalue the harbour

in my view, we'd have 2 building lines for the harbour - one focused on making the local waters usable and the other on making navies. That way you could focus the naval line of buildings in cities you need to make units from and leave the smaller coastal cities with improvements for the water.

Personally I think it is just fine, it is to make your coastal city more effective over time. production is there primarily to build ships in my view so taking it from the harbour is just crazy. It would also devalue the harbour
In my suggestion, you'd still need to build a Harbor to build the Shipyard, but you wouldn't need to build the Lighthouse first.
in my view, we'd have 2 building lines for the harbour - one focused on making the local waters usable and the other on making navies. That way you could focus the naval line of buildings in cities you need to make units from and leave the smaller coastal cities with improvements for the water.
Are you suggesting it should be similar to the Encampment where you need to decide whether you want to build Barracks or a Stable? Then, based on that decision, you continue down either the "fishing" line of buildings or the "ship building" line of buildings. So it would be something like Lighthouse -> Seaport or Shipyard -> Drydock.

In my suggestion, you'd still need to build a Harbor to build the Shipyard, but you wouldn't need to build the Lighthouse first.

Are you suggesting it should be similar to the Encampment where you need to decide whether you want to build Barracks or a Stable? Then, based on that decision, you continue down either the "fishing" line of buildings or the "ship building" line of buildings. So it would be something like Lighthouse -> Seaport or Shipyard -> Drydock.

The way the buildings in districts are set up, you can't skip a building without a fairly major overhaul of the systems around it.

And yes, I am suggesting mutually exclusive building lines. We should have more of those in the game; provided they are worthy choices Ofc.

Regarding the Harbor, I think I like it as it is currently. If you want Gold build a Commercial Hub, if you want Production build an Industrial Zone, and if you want Food build a Granary and/or Water Mill. The Harbor is just there to supplement those yields. Since the Shipyard has different yields than the Lighthouse and Seaport, the only change I would suggest is, unlike the other districts, maybe they should make the Shipyard independent from the other two. If you want Production, you shouldn't need to build a Lighthouse first.

I like it currently as well. They are situational so they need to rely on synergy with the main commerce and military districts for flavor.
If you have a Harbor intended for naval production, definitely an Industrial Zone is good, although I would lean more towards an Encampment still because the production is more "secure" there, unless you have Communism.
For what it's worth the Lighthouse could grant additional food to work mines for production and I'll point out that the military policy cards regarding naval units always give 100% production bonuses instead of 50%.

Top Bottom