Poor Mans Civ!!!

kaschpal

Chieftain
Hi there,
say would it be an idea for someone that knows how to program to make a mod for civ4 in which there graphics are in 2D or really ugly 3D graphics for all of us poor people that cant afford to buy a new computer with it...:rolleyes:

Could be an idea for firaxis too - more buyers...plus would it really be that complicated to stick something like civ3 graphics over civ4 (it still works on tiles....)

And hey I sure that making a mod like that would earn u loads of karma / mudos / brownie points with the gatekeeper of whatever afterlife u believe in!:goodjob: (sorry atheists, youll just haveto do it out of goodwill...)

Well until then long live civ 3...:king:

Well, the graphics engine isn't encoded in python. Going from a 3d to a 2d engine is well beyond the scope of modders. I'd suggest sticking with civ3 if you can't do 3d at all.

As for simplifying the 3d graphics, the game itself has options to reduce polygon counts displayed on screen. I think thats as good as any mod could ever hope to do.

I suspect your real problem isn't polygon counts though, its memory usage. 1gig of memory is about enough to play through a standard size map without lag. Its good enough to begin a huge size map, but it will probably lag out in later eras. 2gig of memory offers a much better late game experience for larger maps. An older machine with less than 1 gig RAM would have a hard time finishing a game at all. And none of this has much to do with graphics, so a graphical mod wouldn't help you.

I think it would be easier to just make your own game if you want it in 2d, probably end up being easier...

Top Bottom