Portugal with a naval UU? Oh-oh...

Personally, I would rather see a UU per leader rather then each civ having a land and sea based UU. As already mentioned, some civs just didn't have suitable sea UU's to warrant giving them a sea UU.

As for the Portugese UU. I think it sounds very interesting. It's sounds like it the unit is going to be based around expansion and not naval battles, so it will fit perfectly with Jaoa's leader traits, and not be rendered useless as a UU by the deficencies that are currently seen in naval warfare. There is the case that if you are landlocked, or on a Pangea map then it won't have a use, but, UU's such as the Praetorian, Keshik and Immortal, that all require resources, can't be built if you don't have access to it. Personally, I don't see this as too much of a problem.

Not unless you seriously expanded the naval exploration/trade/warfare part of the game.. Maybe that's something for Civ V. It would certainly reflect the vast importance of navies historically.

Got nothing to do with UU's, but I would really like more realistic trading - ie. trading units. Today we have worker, explorers and military - trading has been just as important as those other factors. Just like you need a work boat to hook up sea-based resources, I think there should be a trading galley to hook up trade routes and even be able to trade certain resources, and horse/camels could be used to make land-based caravans. Would make this part of the game more interesting, and some peaceful civilizations could also have trading UU, just like India got the fast worker.

And what about some air based UU´s? Now that they don´t triger golden ages, the US could really need a P-51 or B-17.

You guys have made a list of civs that could boast a naval UU.
Those are:
Vikings, Portugal, England, Spain, Netherlands, Arabia, America, Korea, Carthage, Germany and Japan. I'd like to add the Ottoman empire to that list. They raided Iceland once..I was playing Age of Empires III the other day and their ships aren't weak :lol: And don't forget France, Byzantine Empire (wouldn't even be surprised with a Naval UU for them!) and Greece (The Athenian navy was and is famous). Rome could easily have a naval UU, and Egypt too (it would have to be a medieval ship, though) and of course Russia and China..

That leaves us with: Mali, Inca, Aztecs, Mongols, Persians, Babylonians, Sioux and some others.

I'm sure Firaxis could sort that out..

But it's not a good idea, though. Those "extremely naval" civs; Vikings, Carthaginians and now Portugal all have something naval. I think that the Byzantine Empire could have a naval UU; Dromon and Spain should get something naval. England and The Netherlands as well. But I think that's all. To be honest, I don't see the Turtle ship as Korea's UU. Or Germany having a Submarine UU. :)

Portugal,Holland,Vikings and England all deserves a naval UU.
In any case I hope also Netherlands get a naval UU.
About units balancement i agree that a land unit is always better but a naval UU can be made really powerful.A Carrack which can transport instead of 3 units, 5 units and has +1 movement wouldn't be so weak IMO.

Extra movement, extra cargo, extra line of sight, bombard capability and earlier availability.
2 of these would make it a strong UU in... water maps.

I just hope the UB is good in pangea, giving funds or hapiness to support the settlers boom possible by the traits!!!

PS: Have you consider all civs having 2 UUs. 1 terrestrial and other to the seas or the air?

Extra movement, extra cargo, extra line of sight, bombard capability and earlier availability.
2 of these would make it a strong UU in... water maps.

I just hope the UB is good in pangea, giving funds or hapiness to support the settlers boom possible by the traits!!!

PS: Have you consider all civs having 2 UUs. 1 terrestrial and other to the seas or the air?

yes but i'd prefer 2 on land and 1 of land

Why don't give every civilization 2 UUs without any resrictions: one civilization could have 2 UUs on land, another 1 on land and 1 in the sea, another 1 one land and 1 in the air etc.

i personally think that Atl's idea is perfect. also remember in civ 3 that ships could bombard to a degree as 2 shell cities destroying pop, buildings and improvements? sorry bout the run on

I was disappointed to see coastal bombardment all but disappear from Civ4 (you can still hit cities). I shelled production mines and luxury resources all the time in Civ3 from the coasts. It gave the small navy I had a purpose. Now, they just pillage fishing boats. Still useful, I guess, but not nearly as much.

I was disappointed to see coastal bombardment all but disappear from Civ4 (you can still hit cities). I shelled production mines and luxury resources all the time in Civ3 from the coasts. It gave the small navy I had a purpose. Now, they just pillage fishing boats. Still useful, I guess, but not nearly as much.

cough dromon cough :p

That leaves us with: Mali, Inca, Aztecs, Mongols, Persians, Babylonians, Sioux and some others.
I figure they are wide open to military units that haven't been seen.
Plasma infantry. Submersible aircraft carriers. Hydrofoil cruisers. Laser anti-aircraft batteries. Remote control fighters .

I figure they are wide open to military units that haven't been seen.
Plasma infantry. Submersible aircraft carriers. Hydrofoil cruisers. Laser anti-aircraft batteries. Remote control fighters .
Dude. You did not just suggest plasma remote-control hydrofoil cruisers as UU for the Babylonians. :beer:

Wodan

Dude. You did not just suggest plasma remote-control hydrofoil cruisers as UU for the Babylonians. :beer:

Wodan

They need something to hope for if they're going to survive that long:lol:

It would keep the late game interesting. Multi-players would want Babylon on their team just to build and gift....

Well, for civs that ceased to exist you could look to the modern civs that have later arisen in the region. Many of these believe themselves to just be modern continuations of their ancient roots (Saddam Husein was rebuilding Babylon, and actually claimed to be Nebuchadnezzar reincarnated. He had his name carved next to the king's on several ancient monuments which he was restoring). So for Babylon, you would use an Iraqi unit like the Republican Guard replacing Infantry. Of course, who would want a UU with a special ability like always loosing to any American troops. ;) Actually, I they would be pretty cool if disbanding them in a city just before an enemy captures it could greatly lengthen the time the city stays in resistance.

Personally I would love it if each civ had something like a UU for every other age, or perhaps an average of one per age (which would mean America might need about 2 per age from the renaissance up). When there are 2 per age, it would probably be best to make then very different types of units, perhaps 1 for land and one for sea.

MagisterCultuum said:
Well, for civs that ceased to exist you could look to the modern civs that have later arisen in the region. Many of these believe themselves to just be modern continuations of their ancient roots (Saddam Husein was rebuilding Babylon, and actually claimed to be Nebuchadnezzar reincarnated. He had his name carved next to the king's on several ancient monuments which he was restoring). So for Babylon, you would use an Iraqi unit like the Republican Guard replacing Infantry. Of course, who would want a UU with a special ability like always loosing to any American troops. Actually, I they would be pretty cool if disbanding them in a city just before an enemy captures it could greatly lengthen the time the city stays in resistance.

Personally I would love it if each civ had something like a UU for every other age, or perhaps an average of one per age (which would mean America might need about 2 per age from the renaissance up). When there are 2 per age, it would probably be best to make then very different types of units, perhaps 1 for land and one for sea.

Holy thread resurrection Batman! :D

I think you may have had one too many threads opened! :p

Top Bottom