Post a picture of your empire

This is Germany, 860 AD. I'm having some trouble with this game. :( I got a horrible starting location and just so happen to be squished between two of the most powerful civs in the game. Note the divided empire due to the huge mountain range. :mad: Extremely annoying that mountain range is. It's a Huge map with all 16 civs, Pangaea, most aggressive AI. Luckily, I just got access to horses from another civ (Egypt), and the Hittites to my south don't have iron. All of those three-man chariots are heading through my territory to someone to the east. I recently finished a war with them (the results were unimpressive, to say the least, lol) and would have to give up too much for a right of passage. Not worth it. I already tested it and if I asked them to leave, they would declare war on me and I'd be screwed. The Russians to my north are the most powerful civ in the game (that I've met; there's still 2 I haven't met). The English have already been destroyed (by the Aztecs), and the French have just one city left that I know of (almost completely destroyed by the Hittites). The Indians are almost dead, too. I don't even know the eastern part of the continent, as you can see, where there's a huge war raging.

EDIT
My empire in close-up. Note the long string of three-man chariots moving through my territory.

The western "core":

The eastern fringes:

The northern valley:

You could work on your city placement and make more optimal use of that river and desert area near your core. I see river tiles that no city can reach!
A floodplain wheat that is not yet irrigated right next to your capital, thats 6 food from one tile, that can be used to let 5 other citizens work mined dessert tiles.

You could work on your city placement and make more optimal use of that river and desert area near your core. I see river tiles that no city can reach!
A floodplain wheat that is not yet irrigated right next to your capital, thats 6 food from one tile, that can be used to let 5 other citizens work mined dessert tiles.

I probably could've fit in another city along the west coast between Berlin and Heidelburg and take advantage of that fish resource, but I never got around to it. Expansion was slow in the beginning; not because of not building settlers fast enough, but because the land was so bad that I had to jump and grab the good areas first before I became completely surrounded. I slacked off too much in that respect; I almost ignored the areas really close. Note the ruins next to Hannover, and that Chelyabinsk isn't a German city name...

For the most part I don't see that much of a problem with my city placement. Care to elaborate? I needed to grab good land fast before the computers got it.

And how would +1 food from an irrigated wheat flood plain free up FIVE citizens? Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're saying. Generally, I don't irrigate wheat flood plain; they already give me 5 food, might as well use my workers to improve stuff that actually needs improving.

The land around your core IS good.
When you start the game, you are in despotism, the despotism tile penalty means that it is only worth improving land that is either below the penalty or can break through the penalty. And the floodplain tile can break through it!
When you settle a city, it has 1 citizen, that one citizen can then work the floodplain tile and produce 4 food, or 5 food with irrigation.
5 surplus food in the early AA means a settler factory!
You should improve tiles citizens are working, otherwise the improvement is wasted. Citizens should be working the best tiles. --> the best tiles should be improved first!

That floodplain tile should be one of the first tiles to be improved when you just started the game!

once past despotism, it will produce 6 food, enabling 5 citizens to work on 0 food tiles.

Cheiftan, tiny, conquest win.

The colored dot's represent who had what city. Brown is the Netherlands and pink the Arabians.

North and South America only make up 30% of the world? Wow.
America, as in North America + South America makes up 27% of the world's land mass in real life. Don't forget about the cartographic projection, on a map (so on a civ map too) North America looks much bigger than it actually is and Africa looks much smaller than it actually is.

My current game as the Celts (cyan in the north), the war with Greece (white) was just over and now Scandinavia (purple) declared on me.

The land around your core IS good.
When you start the game, you are in despotism, the despotism tile penalty means that it is only worth improving land that is either below the penalty or can break through the penalty. And the floodplain tile can break through it!
When you settle a city, it has 1 citizen, that one citizen can then work the floodplain tile and produce 4 food, or 5 food with irrigation.
5 surplus food in the early AA means a settler factory!
You should improve tiles citizens are working, otherwise the improvement is wasted. Citizens should be working the best tiles. --> the best tiles should be improved first!

That floodplain tile should be one of the first tiles to be improved when you just started the game!

once past despotism, it will produce 6 food, enabling 5 citizens to work on 0 food tiles.

Actually, I think I see what you're saying. It never really occurred to me for some reason. Irrigate all of the flood plain tiles and even in despotism that's a bunch of extra food. Might've been able to grab some of the land faster.

But you've got to admit, outside of those flood plains, I've got some pretty horrible land.

Histograph victory, Scandanavia

Only 38% of the world. I had about 6 boats chocked full of mech infantry and tanks sitting right outside Britain I wanted to use, and it would have PLOWED through Rome or Greece, both of whom were still stuck in the late Industrial Age, but for some reason I didn't follow through.

Screenshot from my current solo game. I toyed with the idea of doing a Stories and Tales thread on it, but I think the game is too far along for that now. I'll post here instead...

Game settings: Deity, Standard-sized 60% Water Continents, 7 pre-selected Science opponents.

Goal: get my first Space win at Deity.

Having cleared my starting continent of the Babylonians, Byzantines, and Greeks, I must prevent the culturally-rich Sumerians from getting 100K on me.

I own ~45% of the land area and 50% of the pop, but Sumeria is at 55,000+ empire culture and getting 700 culture per turn.

If I can prevent the 100k, I think this one is in the bag...

If you managed to clear your continent, what's stopping you from the Sumerians?

A fair question indeed. I'll try to give just a brief explanation so that I don't bore anyone. :)

I have about 65~ turns before Sumeria hits 100k. I intend to land on their shores and simply raze cities, no territory capture needed. Sumeria is strong, so I'll need a good stack of Infantry, Artillery, and Cav armies to do it.

The main thing preventing me from landing right now is a lack of transports. The backbone of my current army is a few 4-unit Cav armies, partially because I stopped the military production to make infrastructure. Of course, for the cav armies, loading in the 4th unit makes them untransportable with galleons, a tradeoff I accepted because they allowed me to conquer the home continent that much faster.

Anyhow, having just built the ToE, I should be able to trade my way to Combustion very soon, once I resolve a little diplo snafu I got myself into...

Once I get Combustion, I'll mass the troops and go a pillaging. Honestly, I don't think this will be too tough, just close enough to 100k to give me a little pause. ;)

The layout (with the extensive railroad network) looks really good.

Who are the other two civs? One looks like it might be the Incas (I think they are purple, only played one game that involved them), and whose the orange? Might be able to convince the Incas (assuming that's who they are) into a MA against Sumeria. Though I don't know if they are as willing to war against the ai on Diety. Highest I've played so far has been a one game Emperor, and I didn't fare very well in that game.

Hope you can raze enough before 55 turns are over, to be on the safe side of course.

Who are the other two civs? One looks like it might be the Incas (I think they are purple, only played one game that involved them), and whose the orange?
Those are the Koreans.

The orange civ I would guess is the Netherlands or England.
Hope you can raze enough before 55 turns are over, to be on the safe side of course.
Yeah, if you manage, the game will be a close call! :eek:

Purple is indeed Korea. Orange is the Ottomans (science civs...)

Mazeura said:
Might be able to convince the Incas (assuming that's who they are) into a MA against Sumeria. Though I don't know if they are as willing to war against the ai on Diety.

I have had MA's against Sumeria at various times. At the moment I actually want peace between Korea and Sumeria because Sumeria is running over Korea. I'd much rather maintain a balanced status quo over there until I can come in force to help Korea out.

Bartleby said:
The AI is usually swift to Mobilise, that'll slow their culture too.

That would be nice. Sumeria is Fascist at the current moment too...

I'm the Ottomans (orange-Monarch).

I thought about quitting a couple of times (6 techs back, no luxuries, no saltpeter), and glad that I didn't. Currently in 5th, but will be moving up due to egypt being at war with me on one side, and the french and russians on the other. All the other civs are at war as well, game has gone from relatively peaceful to all out world war.

Top Bottom