Post short tips here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corrections for some people:

U cannot rush any part of a wonder or palace, if you do rush something, you can't switch, this includes de-foresting.

I'll be a monkey's uncle if i'm wrong, but i have NEVER gotten a GL from a barbarian, and i've played many games, so unless the fellow is talking about an older version, i do not believe him.

saving and then waiting till the next turn if you don't get a result you like is cheating. It's that simple.

Any of you who are volunteering strategies should state if you're not playing emporer/diety, because truly it is not relevant otherwise.

Some good stuff though, mostly basic.

gl... see you in ptw.

Quillan

That is true, you can't get GL's from barbarians. I played on a huge map with just 2 civs so both of our civs were taking out barbarians left and right. I had about 20 units that were all elite in a matter of no time, and NOOOOOOOOO GL's ever...

And you can't rush wonders at all... sorry

Originally posted by Quillan
Any of you who are volunteering strategies should state if you're not playing emporer/diety, because truly it is not relevant otherwise.

I am sure that what Quillan means to say is that those volunteering tips should specify what level they play at, because that way everyone can get benefit from the tips regardless of their level of play. After all, no one would suggest that only deity or emperor level tips are truly relevant.

Originally posted by thisismysn20
[stuff]...
And you can't rush wonders at all... sorry

I'm assuming you mean rushing through normal means. GLs not withstanding, right?

Previously posted by Quillan:
...?
To which satchel so diplomatically responded:
I am sure that what Quillan means to say is that those volunteering tips should specify what level they play at, because that way everyone can get benefit from the tips regardless of their level of play. After all, no one would suggest that only deity or emperor level tips are truly relevant.
:rolleyes:
Thank you Satchel. I applaud your clarifying translation (and restraint therein).

EJ

Yea I was excluding GL's... Cutting down trees, speeding up a temple then switching to a wonder... none of that works.

Only two things that do, a GL or starting with a palace then switching over to a wonder.

If you have the problem of large cities revolting and/or switching sides once you take them over, try turning all the workers into entertainers. The people are so happy, they never realize that you are starving them to death. The city never switches back to the original owner, and once you starve them down to a more controllable 3 or 4 level, you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I play on Monarch level, but this tip can be used by anyone. Those old units that can't be upgraded or that you just have lying around can be put to good use later in the game. Many times the AI will try to send units through your civ to either attack another civ or to settle some out of the way piece of land that no one wants. You can go to the diplomacy screen and tell them to remove their units, but then you risk a war. Even if you are much stronger than the civ trying to pass through, each turn you will have to keep going to the diplomacy screen and demand they leave because they can be very persistent.

Instead of using diplomacy, use your obsolete units to create a wall of units that block the AI. I find that the wall can be at any point between where the AI units are and where they want to go. Therefore, just pick a narrow point to block them. Once the last unit in the wall is installed the AI will turn its units and go back home. This can be very helpful if the AI is trying to send many units through your civ to reach another civ that you might want to help, without having an alliance. There appears to be no diplomatic penalty for blocking in this manner.

Originally posted by satchel

Well, i appreciate your attempted mediation of my arrogant comments, but the game is no challenge on the lower levels, unless of course you are new to the civ series. (IMHO, of course.)

Sadly, a lot of posts complain about things that are different at higher levels. Some people go on and on about how easy the game is to win, and how they never get to MA, etc. Maybe they should up their level and play a challenging game that isn't a forgone conclusion before it begins. There are many tricks to the trade that are great on low levels, such as ignoring chivalry and rushing to Calvary, but these are not realistic when each age takes time and you can't dwarf the CPU players from the start.

The AI is flawed so much, that without the bonuses the CPU receives at the higher level, the playing field is wrecked against an intelligent, forward thinking human player. Take the example of workers: The AI does not plan ahead, outside of current city limits etc, and wastes a lot of turns because of it. I believe the same holds true for techs, building units, etc. They seem to research what seems best at that moment, rather than looking down the line to what will be best in 10 turns. Also, ever see a CPU with no usable GDP because it has too many swordsmen/longbowmen in the modern age? It's ridiculous. This happens at all levels though, so the compensation that the CPU receives is necessary to offset this sort of blatant mismanagement.

I suppose my point is that players should teach themselves to play the game and move up the ladder to more difficult levels. Consider the lower levels as tutorials to learn gameplay.

I can't wait for PTW... that sort of fluid combat and diplomacy (in terms of thinking humans) will be brilliant to behold.

Originally posted by Quillan
\
Well, i appreciate your attempted mediation of my arrogant comments, but the game is no challenge on the lower levels, unless of course you are new to the civ series. (IMHO, of course.)

:lol: I'm glad you have taken a civil attitude toward my comments, even though I was exasperated and :rolleyes: at you. Thanks for reminding me how to graciously take criticism.

I still (respectfully) think you are wrong about the usefulness of lower level tips, though. Not everyone's goal is to be the ultimate expert player. Take me for example - I have yet to beat the game on Monarch level, and given how little time I have to play (only a few hours a week, if that much) I probably never will. Thus, deity strategies are overkill to me, they tend to require a style of play I don't need and frankly don't enjoy.

There are many, many other folks out there like me, with limited playing time and modest Civ goals. With my attitude, I'll never become the best player I can be, surely, but I am too busy becoming the best lawyer and best wife I can be, so I don't have the time to devote to mastering Civ at the same level I am trying to master my job. CivIII is not the kind of skill that one must attempt to master in some absolute sense. If someone finds playing at Warlord sufficiently fun and challenging, what's it to you?

Originally posted by satchel

:lol: I'm glad you have taken a civil attitude toward my comments, even though I was exasperated and :rolleyes: at you. Thanks for reminding me how to graciously take criticism.

I still (respectfully) think you are wrong about the usefulness of lower level tips, though. Not everyone's goal is to be the ultimate expert player. Take me for example - I have yet to beat the game on Monarch level, and given how little time I have to play (only a few hours a week, if that much) I probably never will. Thus, deity strategies are overkill to me, they tend to require a style of play I don't need and frankly don't enjoy.

There are many, many other folks out there like me, with limited playing time and modest Civ goals. With my attitude, I'll never become the best player I can be, surely, but I am too busy becoming the best lawyer and best wife I can be, so I don't have the time to devote to mastering Civ at the same level I am trying to master my job. CivIII is not the kind of skill that one must attempt to master in some absolute sense. If someone finds playing at Warlord sufficiently fun and challenging, what's it to you?

All fair comments. I just personally get no sense of accomplishment when i play on a lower level and blow everyone away. So i play on higher levels, and enjoy myself much more. Of course, that is purely personal preference. I suppose my main point was that people were posting 'tips' that really didn't hold much water at higher difficulty levels, and those same people complained about the ease of where they were playing... No matter though.

As for time constraints, i wish i could get paid for playing Civ3 like i did for Diablo II, it's a lot of fun :) SO i can't play as much as i'd like to either... So enjoy whatever level you play on, and as the games become to easy, move on up :)

Lastly, Diety games are mostly losers for me... i generally play emporer. I wish that the AI was better so they didn't have to give them the advantages they do on diety. Thats all.

This works well during middle ages if you have a tech lead and a good tech rate. In my case I'm going for a culture win so I'm researching branches that I'd normally leave for later.

The AI civs will generally try for wonders when they get the relevant tech, and so you can take advantage of this fact. Trade them techs such as Music Theory (JS Bach) and Free Artistry (Shakespeare) after you have a solid lead on building that wonder.

I traded MT to all the other civs after getting about a 10 turn lead building the palace (and I had more production power). Every single civ started building, so they wasted about 30 turns of production in a strong city.

Note that you must make sure they can't cascade to another wonder. In this case, make sure that you'll complete the wonder before they get Magellan, Newton, etc.

Negotiate a military alliance into a peace deal with an AI and they will lock in a war forever. If AI want to get out of the alliance deal they would have to renegotiate peace, they wouldn't want to do that because they are already at war with other AI's. You can cancel this arrangement by removing the alliance after 20 turns and renew the peace deal only or renew the old war.

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's extremely effective as a strategy -

Got an extra city laying around with some decent shields a turn, yet no wonder to build at the moment? Start building a palace. Then, when that wonder comes around, switch production from the palace to the wonder. And, hence, you just got a lot of shields you would have wasted making something like wealth.

Also, if a culture gets your wonder and you are forced to switch production, hence loosing shields that took you thousands of turns to attribute, switch to the palace and then wait for another wonder to turn up. Just make sure you don't end up actually BUILDING the palace. ;-)

This is why I rarely build wonders in my capital.

In the manual and on web pages it says there are benefits from 'We love the King day' I have yet to find out or work out what these benefits are
Can any one tell me the benefits of 'We love the king day' for each government type.

I love playing on Democracy and change as soon as possible. I build up my cities move lights years ahead in technology, and supported military, then revert to Monarchy and kick some Civs in the proverbial`s.

Simple strategies (playing at Regent). May be obvious to you but I just clued into them in the last week or so :

** Worker keyboard short cuts : shift-p will have worker zip directly to pollution and start cleaning up. shift-j will have them seek out + cut down jungles until all the jungles are gone from your territory. ctrl-a (command-a on macintosh), then click a tile will have them build a road or railroad from point a to point b. shift-a will automate but they won't destroy existing improvements.

** If an AI civ declares war on you out of the blue, before you are ready for it, _immediately_ go to the diplomacy screen and contact every other civ in the game. If you're strong and have a decent rep, you can get them into a military alliance (meaning they will declare war on the aggressor immediately) without trading them anything for it. Don't forget to ask for trade embargoes as well. Now, wait a couple of turns and if possible take a city or two from the aggressor. Sue for peace. The other AI civs will continue to wage war against the aggressor civ -- usually if for a long, long time. You won't get dragged back into it because you never signed an mutual protection pact with anybody. Even if they other civs sign peace treaties, those trade embargoes you signed will probably last 20 turns, so that agressor civ won't be able to trade anything with anybody for awhile at the very least. Every time I've done this, the aggressor civ has either been wiped off the map or severely crippled. It's also a great way to play the AI civs off one other.

** You can egg AI civs into declaring war on you. Go to the diplomacy screen every turn and demand that they give you one of their top cities. They'll keep saying no, no, no and get more and more annoyed, eventually declaring war. Doing this gives you a war weariness and rep bonus -- you get less of a hit if you are not technically the invader/aggressor.

** Slap around bordering civs early in the game (see Rear Admiral's post early on). You can cripple the AI's expansion, and sue for peace in 1 or 2 turns (usually before they show up with units to retake their capital/city). During the negotiation, you can almost always to get them to give you all their techs, gold, and extra workers. I've done this many times and it always works. Note that some civs (England, Germany) will carry grudges and won't talk to you if you do this. Also, you risk taking a rep hit for a loooong time.

** Civs in your culture group will be friendlier and more willing to cut you deals in the diplomacy screen. For instance, if you're the Egyptians, then the Romans and Greeks are your buds. For the Americans, it's the Iroqois and Aztecs, etc etc. Work this to your advantage when you can. Of course, they also might be near you at the start of the game, so if you take the advice from the point above and slap them around, this won't hold true.

** Ghandi requires no strategic resources to build his special unit, the War Elephant. Slap him around before he starts building them, because, as was pointed out previously, Ghandi is a prick.

PS: I just spent the last couple of hours reading through all 19 pages of tips. Thanks to everyone who posted. Very helpful all around! And cheers to other Civ addicts who are still reading these tips, 19 pages later in the middle of the night ...

About tip #2 :
If you get out of those wars by suing peace, all the other AIs will hate you for it. Your reputation will take a big hit.
I find it's often better to let the war go on and just not attack, let the other AIs do all the dirty work. You can just sitc back and defend when needed, even better just attack once your ennemy is weak after your friend AIs pillaged them...

Once you start getting some money in and want to start playing with the AIs, it becomes necessary to establish embassies.
I found out it's sometimes better to wait a little while, until it is really needed :
At Regent level (and up) the AIs often build Wonders real fast and you end up wasting a lot of shields...
My tip :
I always write down the year when the game tells me someone is building a Wonder, they usually take at least more than 30 turns (at start of game).
As soon as you have a doubt about when the Wonder of your ennemy will be finished, establish an Embassy : this will give you an insight on the Capitol city where 80% of the early wonders are built...
You can then (i.e) switch to Palace if the AI will be faster than you.
If you are building in Capitol city (not a very good idea..), you can then trade with other AIs to acquire an advance which allows a wonder.
Sometimes a big sacrifice in terms of advance or money/units etc.. is better than seeing your Wonder get taken away just a few turns before completion ! So much waste....:(

In the early game if I have 2 cities producing about the same number of shields, one on the coast and one inland I will set the coastal city building the wonder as it has a greater number of wonders available to it.
Should another Civ beat me to completing the wonder I am more likely to have a wonder to fall back on.
On a few occasions when I have had 2 cities building wonders at the same time and have had to fall back on the Place and Lighthouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom