Post short tips here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some tips of mine ...
NOTE: some may have been listen previously. I'm not sure.

1. Don't cause wars with anyone. Just let the computers fight. And if someone is fighting on your border keep settlers on standby so if the city is burned down you can build a city there.

2. Prior to the preview tip, if you let the computers fight you can offer your alliance for a price.

3. Surround your best cities with fortresses with 3 military units each. This will make it extremely difficult for your opponent to take the city. But make sure you have enough protection on the fortresses, because if those are taken over they will have better defence while attacking your city.

4. Get airplane before everyone else so you can control the air.

I hope these tips help some people. :egypt:

Originally posted by DaveMcW
Advanced techs are worth a lot... the hard part is finding a civ rich enough to pay full price.

Yesterday I got what I believed to be an awesome deal and I thought I'd do some boastin' postin' t'day but then I DaveMcW's incredible 450 gpt trade. I only had half of that.

My tip is on the same line: Keep monitoring your other civs gold status, and if someone is getting rich while falling behind in tech, that is the time to offer them one. Trading can make or break your game when it's in the balance.:egypt:

Calculate how many turns it will take for you to invent next technology that includes a wonder, then calculate the difference required between the shields of palace and that wonder. Then see how many shields some city of your produces. Calculate when it will be most rational to start building palace and then after you have invented some technology that allows building a wonder, switch the palace production to wonder production. If you calculated right, your wonder will be built the turn after inventing the technology!

Calculate how many turns it will take for you to invent next technology that includes a wonder, then calculate the difference required between the shields of palace and that wonder. Then see how many shields some city of your produces. Calculate when it will be most rational to start building palace and then after you have invented some technology that allows building a wonder, switch the palace production to wonder production. If you calculated right, your wonder will be built the turn after inventing the technology!

Yep, that's called pre-building... But make sure you don't miscalculate and some wonders are not as expensive (shield-wise) as the palace, so make SURE you got your calculations right!!!!

Cheap trick

I was trying to finish off Babylon with only two cities left, when the Ottomans declared war on me. Most of my offensive power was far away from the long shared border with the Ottomans. Sending them back ( by road or even through jungle ) would take to much time.

This is what I did : got a bunch of troops in a recently captured city and then gave it to a neutral civ -> bringing all my troops automaticly to my capitol from where I could reach the border with the Ottomans close enough to protect workers or letting the troops take over the defences of nearer cities while the current defenders run for the border.

Pretty lame but it saved about 5 industrious workers and maybe a size 11 city. And it gave me enough offensive capability to kill several Ottoman UU's or send them back behind their borders. It seems I overestimated the size of there initial taskforce.

I wonder if this works on other continents...

I don't know if these have been posted but here goes:

1) In the beginning do an infinite city sprawl...have your cities build nothing but warriors and settlers...hold off on building any upgraded military units, workers or improvements...On higher levels the AI seems to have the ability to create cities at superhuman rates and the first few years is critical.
a. Do this only for as large as you wish to make your empire...Larger is not always better
b. Always build a city as close to your capital as possible...this will optimize shield production (remember corruption)
2) Once you have your empire set up have each city build a worker and build roads to connect them all first thing. Then TRY and maintain a peaceful development...
3) Alternate between building improvements and building military units (obvious I know but some people get obsessed with building the lastest greatest improvement then losing it to their neighbor because they thought those two pikeman would defend it.
4) GET GREAT LIBRARY...I can't stress this enough..If you get great library then you can coast all the way to education (when great library becomes obsolete)...set research to zero and bask in the glory of money money money...

Sometimes when declaring war, it is necessary to enlist the other powerful civs in a MPP, for no other reason than to keep your target from doing so. The problem is, if one of these powerful civs happens to be on the same continent as you, there is a good chance they will scramble to take a few of your target's cities before you can get to them, especially if you gave them ROP. This is where obsolete units come in handy - line up those obsolete units along a slim spot of the continent, and block your new ally's troops from advancing - those Cavalry are especially nice for this purpose, once you have tanks. They won't take any of your target cities, their troops will turn around and go home, and you are free to take all of your enemy's cities without worrying about your neighbor jumping in and seizing a few.

Nice tip metalhead.

I usually use obsolete units by disbanding them in captured, resisting cities to rush a worker (reduce pop) or a temple (when you finish a temple it almost always ends resistance).

Originally posted by xCHUCKLEHEADx
Here are some tips of mine ...
NOTE: some may have been listen previously. I'm not sure.

1. Don't cause wars with anyone. Just let the computers fight. And if someone is fighting on your border keep settlers on standby so if the city is burned down you can build a city there.

2. Prior to the preview tip, if you let the computers fight you can offer your alliance for a price.

3. Surround your best cities with fortresses with 3 military units each. This will make it extremely difficult for your opponent to take the city. But make sure you have enough protection on the fortresses, because if those are taken over they will have better defence while attacking your city.

4. Get airplane before everyone else so you can control the air.

I hope these tips help some people. :egypt:

This may be the worst advice I've seen anywhere on this site......

NOTE: This tip only works for Scientific civs.

When playing above Regent, keeping up in tech is always tough, so you might as well make the most of your 3 free techs if you are a Scientific civ. Well, this strat doesn't work entering the Middle Ages, but will pay off handsomely entering the next 2, provided you are less than 5 techs behind, or can muster a few hundred gpt.

What you need to do is keep close tabs on your rivals. Most of the time, all of the top dogs will enter the next age on the same turn. Your first turn after they get to the next age, crank your science down to 0, find the richest AI non-scientific civ, and call them up. Even if you are 2, 3, even 4 techs behind, trade as many gpt as you have to to this civ to get into the next age. You will now have no income, but will be in the next age, and you will also have a tech that the civ you just gave all of your money to doesn't have.

If you get Nationalism for free in the Industrial Age, you've hit the jackpot - immediately trade it back to the civ you just gave all of your money to. You will most likely get all of your gpt and lump sums back (unless you had to buy 4 or more techs), plus a nice bonus, and you just parlayed 1 free tech into 2-4 free ones, plus a nice cash bonus, plus the tech you would have gotten anyway. If one of the other Scientific civs got a different tech than you (you did check for that, right?), hey, trade for that as well.

Going into the Modern Age, doing this with more than 2 techs is dangerous, because they are so expensive, and the tech you get when advancing to the modern age may not offset the cost of buying your way into the age, but a similar process will yield some nice returns if you're careful not to spend too much, although it admittedly works better going into the Industrial ages.

As a scientific civ, declare war on your scientific neighbor when you get chivalry. If you can't kill them, at least cripple them so they don't get Nationalism before you do. This probably won't work if there are 3+ other scientific civs.

Discover territory as fast as possible e strategically position your troups (even a little warrior will do to block someone from passing when you don't wont to and when engaging a war is not worth the deal for the AI)

Speeding up the making of spaceship parts.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this little tip, but...
If you're waiting for an science improvement to be discovered in order to build further parts for your space ship, I usually get a heavy sheild producing city(s) to start to build a unit or improvement to will take as long as the discovery takes to make. Then when it has been discovered, you can change the city's production to any of the space ship parts that you need.

Also, in modern times, I usually make a note of all the high sheild producing cities, so that I can quickly allocate the production of Wonders and other high shield required improvements.

GET LUXERIES AND HAPPINESS IMPROVEMENTS!!!

they are one of the most important things u need to run a successful republic/democracy

I tried somebody's "fantastic" tip tonight. I first traded 2 inventions for 20 turns of saltpeter. Then I cut the road leading to my saltpeter source and immediatly re-made it. This caused my relationship with Egypt totally **** up and after doing that they wouldn't even give 1 gold in exchange for all of my luxuries.

So don't even try it.

I have no PTW yet (it is not available in Poland - grrr!!!) so I can't check if it is possible to do that non stop or maybe only once a turn.

Make an agreement with some other player. Build a new town connected with both capitals, give it to the other player, he will give it back to you etc. After you get the town it has a regular defensive unit, after you give it the unit is transported to your capital.

Best regards,

Slawomir Stachniewicz.

In the begining of a game use your original worker to turn at least three tiles into tiles with road+improvement, build a settler and then join the original worker to the city and start building a second settler right away. This allows you to build 2 cities in the space of time where you would only have one. Ofcourse this is not wise when next to a millitaristic civ in confined spaces;)

Building the Palace improvement in any city is good as you can accumulate a lot of shileds in the city, then invent something that allowes you to construct a Wonder and switch. I've played this hundreds of times, building both Palace and Forbidden Palace in two cities and then steal two wonders from under the Rotten AI's nose;)

When starting a game it's often the best distribution of wealth to give full throttle to inventions, especially if you have a road near a river. This will give you a critical 4-8 turns advantage at least on the particular invention.

When there's only 1 turn to an inventions pull the invention funding to as low a percentage as possible whilst still maintaining that 1 turn status. This will give you a great economical boost! I've received as much as 500 gold for one turn in medieval times:) Just don't forget to put it back up for the next invention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom