1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post short tips here!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Pragmatic, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMK

JMK Chieftain

I have noticed the same when playing CIV Vanilla, but when I moved to PTW 1.14 I could build Hoover in a city located near a lake.

2. shinji_kun

shinji_kun Chieftain

Heres a dumb question but i couldn't find the answer on the site... how do you get leaders?:egypt:

3. Peebo

Peebo Grand Poobah

im not 100% sure, but while fighting a war, if a unit continues to be successful and becomes elite, he has a chance of producing a great leader when he beats another enemy force and you can rename the successful unit as well. the leader will just appear where the unit is, itll be obvious when it happens, so keep on playing and trying to succeed in battle and you will eventually get one. i think its more likely if you are a militaristic civ...

4. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

hey shinji kun, when asking questions like these, just ask in the "newbie thread" stickied at the top of the main forum, where you will get fast, accurate answers.

5. War_Mongrol

War_Mongrol The Quiet, loud one...

Beware losing workers... always protect them or you might never see them again... I seem to lose a worker to an enemy and magically that worker is transported to the enemy civ's capitol... so unless you want to settle for peace right then and there and trade back for your worker I suggest you keep up tight security on the workers... which in the beginnin of the game are all too precious.

6. marceagleye

marceagleye Underground Economist

JMK sorry I didn't know you could build Hoover with a lake but no river in any version of civ3. I'm playing PTW 1.21f. It's not possible in this version.

7. marceagleye

marceagleye Underground Economist

JMK sorry I didn't know you could build Hoover with a lake but no river in any version of civ3. I'm playing PTW 1.21f. It's not possible in this version.

8. Lenvik

Lenvik Pathological lurker

When improving grasslands, I usually mine the bonus grasslands, and irrigate other grasslands if I need food and I am out of despotism. This gives the greatest flexibility with regards to micromanaging.

However, if you haven't experienced your golden age, consider irrigating bonus grasslands and mining the other grasslands. That way, all tiles will enjoy a production bonus during your golden age.

In later stages of the game, you sometimes find yourself irrigating over mines to increase your food production. Irrigate bonus grasslands rather than non-bonus ones if you haven't had your GA. (Not unusual on deity with a sucky UU).

Finally, the same considerations are important if you plan to mobilize.

9. Frisian Warrior

Frisian Warrior with a cannon

I thought it needed a river, and not necessarily running through the city but anywhere in the city radius.
    A temple? Never noticed that.
    Never noticed that.

10. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

How does one deal with overcrowding?

11. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Build improvements that increase happyness and the complaints will go away....
    Temple, cathedral, colosseum will do fine, but my personal favourite is a marketplace combined with a few luxuries...

12. Bretwalda

Bretwalda Chieftain

This thread is 28 pages currently, therefore it might have been mentioned:

When you stop war tell the governor in the SAME turn to adjust the moods of all citizens: suddenly tons of gold and shortened science turns!

13. Tarkeel

Tarkeel Imperial

Not sure if this has been posted already, but if you hold down shift, it speeds up automated and enemy movement . Great for watching your workers run around and those pesky barbarians running around.

14. Bretwalda

Bretwalda Chieftain

Another one:

When you are razing cities and not building new ones instead (because of corruption effects or else) but you still want to keep other civs out: build outposts on every coastal tile so the civs your are at peace with may not land.

You can do it with captured workers (free) and it is cheaper than parking a military unit on it (no upkeep!)

15. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Also do this after anarchy. Right after telling the game that you want to be a democracy (for example), you still may have entertainers left over from the anarchy. If you re-tell the governor to control moods, those entertainers will be fired.

Also do this everytime you adjust the luxury slider/or gain luxuries, so you know for sure the moods will be adjusted NOW, and not later.

16. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

A river tile must be in it's radius, but I don't think lakes count. I had a game where I couldn't build Hoovers, despite the fact the city was built on a lake (there was no rivers on my island).

17. billindenver

billindenver Chieftain

Interesting Bamspeedy. I thought most good players NEVER used governors and I count you in that group.

18. Siegmund

Siegmund Chieftain

Here's a quick question for somebody:

The Great Library gives you any tech that two of the civs you are in contact with possess.

Does this mean ALL civs you have ever contacted, or only ones you can currently trade with? In other words, do you still receive techs if you are at war with the civs that get them first? (I am sure someone out there who likes always-war games knows...)

19. denyd

denyd Emperor

Siegmund,

It's whomever you've ever met.

On a side note, I learned something interesting about the GL lately during a GOTM. Because the GL doesn't expire until the turn after you acquire it. If you are way behind on tech and take the GL city from another Civ you get all the techs that are known by the AI's you know, which in this case was all the way into the Industrial Age. The next turn the GL becomes useless because you now have Education (and you don't get the culture points because you didn't build it yourself)

DenyD

:beer:

20. Arturo

Arturo gEek

When you are about to get a Tech advance you can often decrease your Science allotment to 10% or so and still get the advance in 1 turn (or 2 or whatever) and get a major boost to your treasury.

I was dropping Science from around 80 to 10, still getting the Tech when I otherwise would have, but getting an extra 1000 gold on that turn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.