Post short tips here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use stealth aircraft to bombard enemies rather than usual aircraft. It is harder for SAMs and fighters to bring Stealth's down (a 5% per cent chance by default ).

The Shift-U upgrade command will even upgrade units that have already used their turn!

Yet another great use for Sun Tzu's... start your war with Knights, and get as many of them into the new cities on that continent that have barracks now, no matter how damaged they are. Upgrade, and all the ones damaged will be upgraded like Taxi said, BUT they'll also be fully healed at the same time and raring to go the next turn!

If your territory borders neutral land, you can build a road on the first tile out which will benefit the movement of your units but not movement of others.

If you have spies in other countries but the foreigners just refuse to listen to your propaganda even though they still are a backward republic and you a glorious democracy, wait until they are in transition to democracy. The odds of succesful proganda are greatly increased during their period of anarchy.

Settlers

Something else I do, that I haven't seen posted.

Does any else do this? It's not 'exactly' cheating...

...I always save the 4000BC opening (with the small amount of area around your first settler unit, worker - and maybe scout depending what CIV you start with) and then go off and explore for half an hour. You then save the game again after most of your immedaite area has been revealed (I usually save it with 'map' in the file name as a reference). Then you can plan where to put your initial settler and subsequent settlers and start from the 4000BC save again. You can always refer back to 'map' save if need be.

Is this naughty? What do you reckon?

Some useful stuff to wade through on this thread.

I never tire of the game, so any new theories are always well received.

I've got to admit to using the 'barricading wall of border control' to stop settlers getting in on 'my turf' - provided you can build the units quick enough. At the very least you need 5 units in the shape of a 'U' (3 in front, 1 to the left and 1 to the right of them) to prevent them advancing any further. But, yeah, finding a natural bottleneck helps.

I've noticed as well, if you have another CIV close to you at the start of the game, that you can keep them from building their second city for twenty or so turns if you can suss out where their settler unit (and spearman) are headed. Head for this square with one of your units and then 'dance' on and off this square each turn. Because the AI was programmed to build on this square if it is available, you can have them going somewhere else, then back again, then off somewhere else, then back again. Until eventually some other instruction kicks in that tells them to build elsewhere. By this time though, you've got several archers or warriors ready to attack their capital city (the only one they've built) - and as a result, force their 'new beginning' to crop up elsewhere on the map, well away from all the uncultivated land that you want to expand in to.

I also use the build cities 'round the coastline as well, whenever possible. But it's frustrating as hell when they sneak settler units in with caravels into the area where you've not quite finished marking as your territory.

This thread is not for discussions I believe, but I must say this:
Yes, deadloss, the reloading trick you describe is as naughty as it can get imo. But he, it 's your game. Enjoy.
Number Person, the War Elephant can start your Golden Age, that 's another difference with the knight. And even in empires where all resources are local, some towns may not yet be connected to them.

Back on topic: a short tip:
If you want to trade maps with somebody who has no money but you know your map is more vaulable, offer them 50 gold (or whatever you think your map is worth) as a gift first. They will go polite or gracious and you can get the money back in the maps trade.

edit: another one:
If you are certain a town is going to fall to the AI ,sell all improvements you have built there. Especially the barracks. (I 'm surprised I didn't find this one when I browsed this valuable thread.)

I wouldn't have said it was 'cheating,' exactly.

As 'barren of ideas' posted, I always thought of it as reconnaisance or a 'look-see' to get an idea of whether it was worth playing the game that has been generated for me.

Why spend days and days (and weeks) of endless battling against AI CIVs when you've been given a bad start? Especially as the AI has its own version of a 'specially reccy.' You see, the AI always knows which is your weakest/least protected city to attack. It always knows where to send settlers even though you haven't traded maps with anyone, and have the WARWALL in place. It has numerous other advantages too.

I honestly thought of it as an early scouting mission just to see whether it was worth playing and whether the land suited building cities on but I have to bow down to the general consensus.

I'll stop doing it. It might make the game more interesting than it is.

I must admit I used to hate people using the 'settler cheat' and various others that plagued CIV I.

Originally posted by ivory
edit: another one:
If you are certain a town is going to fall to the AI ,sell all improvements you have built there. Especially the barracks. (I 'm surprised I didn't find this one when I browsed this valuable thread.)

Along those same lines- If you are sure you are going to lose a city, move your soldiers out, and gift the city to a different civ who you want to assist you in the war.

I dont know if this has been posted (probably has) but this is a good strategy to protect yourself if you are on an island or have a ton of boats coming at you in an invasion.

Get all your artillery over to the coast and start bombarding their ships pronto~ once the ships have about 1 to 2 health left they will simply turn around and go home - even if they are full transports! It's very easy to deter an invasion this way as their troops will never land.

If you have a city on one of those two-tile islands, you don't need many troops. Place a worker on the tile that is not the city and nobody will be able to land before they have marines (and berserks in PTW).

edit: eqphreak, only now do I see that the above is your very first post. Great stuff! Welcome to CFC!

Originally posted by billindenver
If you are sure you are going to lose a city, move your soldiers out, and gift the city to a different civ who you want to assist you in the war.
Good point, only one word of caution: you gamble away your chances of recapturing that town.

Someone posted a tip that you need to get the Great Lighthouse if you are on an island. Excellent point, but as I discovered last night, you can only build the GL in a coastal city :eek: ...right on the water.

Another thing... if your city won't grow,:cry: irrigate from the nearest river, even if that river is 10 squares away. Just daisy chain the irrigated squares till your food producing squares have water.

Bugsy,

There are other wonders with prerequisites:

Hoover dam must be on fresh water (lake, river...)
Must have a chapel in the city to build Sistine Chapel
Colossus must be on the ocean
Magellan must be on ocean
I think the Oracle requires a temple in that city

Most of the minor wonders also have non-tech requirements

:wallbash:

Thanks denyd!

Saves at least another bit of frustration :D

Originally posted by ivory
If you have spies in other countries but the foreigners just refuse to listen to your propaganda even though they still are a backward republic and you a glorious democracy, wait until they are in transition to democracy. The odds of succesful proganda are greatly increased during their period of anarchy.

The tip is nice and clear. But how can I fiind out what kind of government do they have - republic, democracy or anarchy?

Originally posted by Sphynx

The tip is nice and clear. But how can I fiind out what kind of government do they have - republic, democracy or anarchy?

Go to the military advisor screen you will find this info there.

Hey denyd, (and all others) you cannot build Hoover Dam without a river. A lake simply will not do. Once as the Americans I had 3/4 of a continent while the Aztecs had the other quarter and the only river on the entire continent. In the whole of my territory the only fresh water I had was a one tile lake, on the shore of which I built the city of Detroit. In this particular game I was leading in tech and production and was eager to build Hoover's in Detroit, but I could not. I had to conquer the Aztec capital and hurry the wonder with a leader. So even though a lake eliminates the need for an aqueduct, It doesn't have the current needed for a hydro plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom