1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Vehicle Requests for SnafuSmith

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by snafusmith, May 23, 2006.

1. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

I updated the second post on the thread for the first time in 5 years. :)

Next up is definitely the challenger 2, I started it tonight.

2. stolenrays

stolenrays Deity

Not sure if you are interested, but I have recently made 3 units, which are textured by their materials and not.dds files. They are for a mod I am completing. I've included the .nif files and some good reference pics.

I am not so good at skinning and am hoping to get these skins:

Mirage F1 (Iraq)
    A-4 Skyhawk (Kuwait)
    Hawker Hunter (Kuwait)<--.nif appears fine in game, but very dark in nifskope

Any help is appreciated.

3. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

I'll see what I can do, I'll probably take look tomorrow sometime. I'm close to done with the challenger 2 model and have started the skin for it. When that's done I'll work on yours.

4. stolenrays

stolenrays Deity

Cool.

5. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen Chieftain

I have a request for a modification of an existing unit. I really liked the rocket-firing animation you used on the Mil8 and was wondering if you wouldn't mind making a version for your Mi24

6. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

@stolenrays - I took a look at your models, they're pretty good. I think I might be able to work with your Mirage F1, but the other two I think it'd be easier if I just made them myself - you're models are good but high poly. It's easier for me to make them myself versus removing polys from an existing model. I can't promise anything soon but if you're willing to wait I might be able to work on the F1.

7. stolenrays

stolenrays Deity

Thanks for looking at them and I appreciate you comments. I converted them from google warehouse collada files. Any help is appreciated so by all means go ahead and work on the F1 and the other ones if you'd like to. I can always update my mod if I release them before the new models/skins are done.

I'm curious what benefit reducing polys has? Easier unwrapping/texturing and higher compression? I tried it a bit with my models, but it made them look clunky.

8. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Lower poly models work better in game- ideally you want them between 750 and 1000 polys, though that was the guide back when civ4 came out. I'm sure most users computers at this point could easily support much more. Lower poly models are also easier to skin, though it's generally less of a problem on aircraft. For vehicles and ships that have more separate parts it can be a pain if it's highbpoly.

If they start to look clunky, work on smoothing out your mesh. It's one of the easier things to learn and can really make a difference with your work.

9. Hian the Frog

Hian the Frog TR Designer and XML

Hi Snafusmith,

I have two requests:
    - could you make a list of your awesome units ? ;) You create sooooo many units that i'm a bit lost.

- I would be pleased with this unit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAESAR_self-propelled_howitzer
    I don't know if it is doable but it can be a very interesting add-on.

10. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

First, thanks! Glad you like my units.

On #1 - I used to have a thread on here that had links to all my units, but it was tough to maintain, and I honestly forgot about it for a couple years. The best way to find my units (I think) would be to check the download database. Although I made a lot before the DB came out that are just posted in the threads here.

On #2 - I plan to make the AMX 30 AuF1 self-propelled artillery for the French, though I have looked at the CAESAR as an option. I'm definitely making the AuF, though I have no idea when.

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I totally second this!
    It would be really hard for anyone but you Snafu to track down and organize all your units...

12. mamba

mamba Deity

13. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Alright, I admit, just want to see everything organized ;)

14. stolenrays

stolenrays Deity

15. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

(Sorry for bringing back slightly dead topic and the massive request)
    Could you make the Sherman tank, P-51D Mustang, B-24 Liberator, B-25, and B-17? I use skins like these for my own purpouses and I'm thinking of making an America mod which starts with you being in control of Jamestown and you try to survive through the years, using all historical events.
    By the way-for info use wikipedia and the likes.

16. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

There are good graphics for the Mustang, Flying Fortress and Sherman in the Road to War mod. I'm not sure if anyone has ever made a B34 or a B-25.

17. dacubz145

dacubz145 Deity

To Second dumanios, all of these have been done, most of them several times, and yes the b-25 has which dumanios was unsure about, havent seen a b34 though

18. Healz

Healz General

I can't recall that anyone ever made the B-36 Peacemaker. It did fly over Russia as a spy plane and had great range. Healz.

19. ChaosSlayer

ChaosSlayer King

20. Voyhkah

Voyhkah Political Activist

Dude, this thread was just brought back from the dead and Snafusmith hasn't been seen in I don't even remember how long. For your information, there is at least one Mark V unit, probably many reskins. I think I saw it in RevDCM...