Pre-Industrial Age Wars

When i am talking about stopping unit production, i do not mean stopping in the middle of a war you have to win. I mean after you produced at least 50, maybe more than 100 knights and conquered say 30-40% of the world (if you manage to take half, you can push trough at all costs to reach the 66% probably), but now with gunpowder the defenders you meet are too strong to proceed and between them are maybe the french. In that case, you certainly can take a break in your unit production until you have a new opportunity.

The workers are interesting for sure. When i am on a big continent, i want a long and straight road crossing that continent. One long highway for my armies to follow. When there is nomansland between you and the first enemy, it is good to start building that road before you move out. Usually i like to have 2 stacks of 3 workers, together, they can build 1 road tile every turn. In captured enemy territory, try to gather the captured slaves to make the needed connections between the extisting pieces of road there as fast as possible.

how to win Industrial Age Wars?

Air Superiority.... NEVER fails

my latest game, i sent over about 30 some Marines, against the second largest army in the world....

There were Riflemen, Musketmen, Cavalry, Spearman,(and some infantry) loads of them, defending the coastal cities.... i sent over a few carriers loaded with bombers (and 1 fighter to see what i wound/kill) and bombarded the heck out of 1 city, and took it, and landed lots of troops there.

the next thing i did, was send a MASSIVE wave of bombers into the city, and it was filled.

the counter attack came very swiftly, but w/ the tons of marines in the cities, the resistance ended quickly.

I airlifted infantry, tanks, cavalry and everyother weapon of war over there you could think of. the war was on.

Every single unit they sent over, was killed in the same turn by my massive waves of bombers...

By the time my cavalry and tanks got to the cities, the bombardment of bombers had already wiped out every single unit, and i didn't have to fight any battles (unless it was against like a redlined unit)

it was one of the easiest wars i ever fought

the best part is, the AI hardly ever builds a good Air Force, so its not like you should get very much resistance

Pre-Industrial Age is not for wars, it is for industrialization of the country!

How do you industrialize a country in pre-industrial times? :confused:

I expect he means, roading, mining etc ... nah you do that in the AA ... while having AA Wars ... :splat:

Pre-Industrial Age is not for wars, it is for industrialization of the country!

What else are the middle ages good for than the glorious battles of my proud and brave knights, conquering vast nations, bringing understanding to the infidels, fighting for honor, spreading our culture and religions, raping the women and children .. ehm well, you get the picture.
There are dozens of movies displaying the beauty of medieval war now, how can you think the middle ages are not to fight wars ? :)

There are dozens of movies displaying the beauty of medieval war now, how can you think the middle ages are not to fight wars ? :)

i never said they weren't... i said Pre-Industrial Era is to build up industrialization, that's it. In fact i think the same way you do

i see it reasonalby as this:

Ancient Age:
EXPANTION!!!! and City Defense if absolutely necesary

Middle Age:
Early Middle Ages is for massing pikemen to defend your cities

Mid-Late Middle Ages is for massing offensive units, like Knights, Medieval Infantry, and if you can, Cavalry

Industrial Age:
Early Industrial Age is for building up railroads, and a HUGE road network, making EVERY worked tile improved!!!

Mid-Industrial Age is for setting up alliances/building up gold, and trading(and finding the next victim of your wraith)

Late Industrial Age is for massing huge Air Forces, resonably large navies, and a good sized army

Modern Times:
Early Modern Times is for getting Modern wonders

Everything else is free game, because usually, you have a complete nation, most cities have everything built in them they need, tiles are all worked, science and money is good, and you're army is all upgraded

PS-I meant Pre-Industrial Age as early industrial age, if you were confused :mischief:

Why not this?

Early Ancient Age:
Expansion, build units only to: explore/make contact, clear the occasional barbarian, keep the AI from attacking because you are weak (you don't need a lot for that, as long as there is still open land around)
Road and improve every worked tile.
LateAncient Age:
Conquest with horseman, more expansion. Build up massive forces.
(I make no distinction between offensive force and defensive ones, Horseman and knight can do both better than spear and pikes)
Early Middle Ages:
Conquest with knights. Road all remaining tiles.
Mid Middle Ages:
Conquest with Cavalry
Late Middle Ages:
Continue conquest, but start building a workforce for Rail effort (assuming, for the sake of this argument, the game is still lasting)
Early Industrial Age:
Rail everything, while your cav's continue on.

If you want to see more pre industrial warfare, just look up some gotm games, preferably some that were played on pangea maps and read reports of some good conquest/domination results.

Yeah .. Ancient Age is for beating guys over the head with swords while they only have clubs. Knights are for getting rid of most of the opponents, and Cavalry are just for clearing up loose ends.

Besides all the military knowledge, concentrate forces, upgrading, poor man´s army and so on, never overlook the importance of a good and fast logistical support, roads, workers going along you´re advance and a settler or two to build a healing station/camp in enemy ground while also providing less turns to get to the nearest city.

In pre-industrial wars its all about location, location and location.

Hell all my wars are preindustrial. By the time I hit industrial, wars can't be risked fighting. Bombarding is a pain in the ass when it starts to destroy city improvements.

Hell all my wars are preindustrial. By the time I hit industrial, wars can't be risked fighting. Bombarding is a pain in the ass when it starts to destroy city improvements.

bombarding is probably the whole war for me... not with artillery though.... bombers make up the bulk of my army...

with a HUGE fleet of bombers, there is no stopping you :evil:

with a HUGE fleet of bombers, there is no stopping you
Beg pardon..... All I need is a huge fleet of fighters, and after a few turns, you'll be lucky to have a quarter of your bomber fleet left. Meanwhile I, with my ground artillery, will have crushed all your border cities. :p

... Meanwhile I, with my ground artillery, will have crushed all your border cities. :p

well... will you bombard with artillery, my last 1/4th of my bomber fleet, and the other 3/4ths before they died, wiped out a large majority of your offensive units, and utterly weakened your outer cities... when my tanks come rolling in, my coastal cities will be regained, along with yours too :D

best watch out when i get stealth bombers and fighters

plus when is the last time you saw the AI build a large airforce of ANY kind?

I counter that with: "since when was I an AI?"

I agree. Constant unit production is key. Wars also tend to be much easier before the industrial age. Riflemen and later infantry can really screw you up.

I agree. Constant unit production is key. Wars also tend to be much easier before the industrial age. Riflemen and later infantry can really screw you up.
Would anyone rather have 40 cavalry and 4 artillery or 40 artillery and 4 cavalry? I think 40 artillery would be more useful because you can reduce infantry and even mech infantry down to 1 life before attacking, thus bringing your odds up. But yes, constant production of units in ANY war will give you an edge. Unless you have some democratic government. But after the industrial age build 2/3 bombers and 1/3 tanks.

While ancient-middle age wars really only need tough units like swordsmen and knights, late Industrial-Modern games need alot of artillery and bombers

Top Bottom