Pre-Industrial Age Wars

OH YES!!! i almost forgot. i found a really easy way to keep peace w/o having to pay anything (unless you are weaker) but it helps prevent against those stupid little civs all declaring war on you for no reason

go to the trade screen, and go to the active trades. there should be one about "peace treaty" which is always in effect during times of peace. renegociate it, and they SHOULD say yes, we will accept it, and accept, and you have 20 turns of peace for free. although, i have tried this once, and i offered peace for peace, and they said "NO WAY!" and that kinda messed me up a bit :blush:

(i bet like everyone knew that already, but i thought i'd throw it in instead of starting a new thread)
Good point, Taras!, See my new article "War happines work" that in particular show how to get War Happines via Peace Treaty renegotiations. However, re-negotiation of peace does not mean that they will not attack you: in SGTOM2 it happened with me next turn after peace treaty renegotiation...

lot's of them.

I've never tried it - but I would try cutting roads that lead to where you want to pillage - that should slow down the archers. Wont' slow down horses, of course.

How about wars on another continent? Should I build those galleys/caravels/galleons or should I wait for transports before launching an invasion?

First, clear your continent. Once the dust has settled from that, you can invade with whatever you've got. It can be done with galleys, but galleons are much better. While transports are really nice, I wouldn't wait for them to invade.

i'd say try to quickly get 1 city over there, for a base. that way, if you do invade, when they reach the shore, they can move that turn

AND

once you get airports, if you don't take any cities by then, airlifting can get a MASSIVE army quickly... especially when you're pumping out tanks like there is no tomorrow :p

All arty, even catapults, are 100% accurate. You actually have to aim these things. I posted a reply to the military academy thread mentioned in the first reply in this thread to detail how to do it. I also posted how to use cavalry, defensive units, etc.... You might check it out.

Thing is, I'm not so good at this game, when it comes to building, researching, expanding, etc... but, apparently, judging by all the comments posted on how you all fight wars, I am unsurpassed at fighting wars, (except for that one guy who keeps espousing massive amounts of arty).

once you get airports, if you don't take any cities by then, airlifting can get a MASSIVE army quickly... especially when you're pumping out tanks like there is no tomorrow :p
Once I have flight, any invasion force includes one or more workers to immediately build the airbase and road/rail to it. Much cheaper then hurrying an airport. You can often leave the defensive units at home and just ship the tanks. Once the airbase is operational, fly in a ton of infantry.

I'm playing Civ3. Like I said, you have to aim these things. I've literally fired tens of thousands of these things. There is a specific aiming point. It's actually ever so slightly off-center.

Oh, come on! Wanna produce some kinda evidence? Artillery units have a certain amount of inaccuracy. Catapults are the most inaccurate, followed by trebs, cannons, arties, and radar arties, in that order. Prove me wrong, I dare you!

Look, you don't have to believe me, and I don't have to comvince you. The only difference between the various types of launch platforms, in my experience, is the number of pips damage you do. You can be a little more off the exact aiming point with the more modern stuff, and still get the lesser result, but the fact is, if you want the optimum result, you have to be dead on in your aim. I'm speaking from vast experience, here. I was not exaggerating when I said tens of thousands. This is my input. Scoff if you like. It costs me nothing. But if I'm right, and you try it out via a bit of repetititous application, your combat effectiveness will go way up. The advice is free. do with it what you will.

I should say, even if you ARE right - and I must admit, I have grave doubts - that would undoubtedly be a bug, and a massive exploit in the game. Artillery units are designed to miss quite often; that's what their bombardment rating is for, to determine how often they hit the target. If you find a way to make that bombardment number irrelevant, I'd call it little better than a cheat.

That said, play as you will. I'm just saying, even if you're proven right in your assertion, I doubt you'll convince many players that it's the thing to do.

That said, play as you will. I'm just saying, even if you're proven right in your assertion, I doubt you'll convince many players that it's the thing to do.

Ah but if the Busted Bug is confirmed, then how shall we use our artillery? Deliberately staying away from the sweet spot? Closing our eyes while aiming? Carefully not studying the screenshots (hint ;) ) showing where the sweet spot is? Ah what a pandora's box this would open!
Actually my mother suggested the same thing a couple of years back. Of course I scoffed. Mind you, one of the little games I have always played with myself, to relieve the tedium of bombing with a 50-art stack, is trying to find sweet spots. But it is an idle pursuit: I never believed that there actually was one. And I still don't, but I would be intrigued to be proved wrong.

@BS:

As I said above, I was asking you to prove, right here, right now, how this works. Avoiding me (and now us) is not going to help your cause any. Either you are a charlatan, or you have a valid point. If it is the latter, I cannot see why you have anything of which to be ashamed. If, however, it is the former, then you should be ashamed. AutomatedTeller said in this thread that he could test this:
I'm almost tempted to call his bluff and create a scenario with 100 artillery and 100 infantry and ask him to play 1 turn. If he is correct, every infantry should come back injured.
Why don't you do this? Marvelous idea! You create the scenario and post it on this thread or this other thread, and then play a turn and post the save in the same thread. This will enable others to download both and verify that your claims are indeed correct.

I hereby throw down the gauntlet. Are you going to accept the challenge, or are you going to run?

Top Bottom