Pred - 03: Demigod everything random

As long as every one keps playing 4 is enough, but if someone wants to join it's fine by me.
Got it, will play today.

1790BC
Why are we learning CB? should have gone for philo for a free tech.
Contact Persians get CB for Pottery
Sell pottery to France to get science to max
Change Canton to rax,Shanghai to settler
move warrior to settle point of last city so Vikings can't claim it.
Trade writing to america formysticism, IW and 10gold.
Now only vikings have horsback on us, but they don't know CB, but they won't trade.
1750BC
Viking settler pair move back.
1725BC
Persians learne horsback now too, can buy it from Vikings now, but expect Persia to sell it to France whichwill decrease price even further.
1700BC
send curagh on suicide mission
1675BC
spot new land
1650BC
make it across save!
1525BC
Vikings move into our territory, expect them to attack,Demand they leave but they declare. :mad:
Shanghai Settler->archer
Kill 2 warriors, loose 1 archer, gain 1 elite.
block path of viking spear
1500BC
keep blocking need some time to get a couple more archers.
Settler is in place for last city, philo in 6 (vingers crossed)

We need another 6 turns to get some more archers, then take out Bergen first. It's a strong city for them, then claim Copenhagen and Reykjavik and make peace for Horseback and MapMaking or maybe even Oslo. (techs more important for mee).

Didn't know about the z-key, thanx. :goodjob:

predesad said:
is that our third city? we have room for 4, although it will be tight, we can have one on the plains at the southern tip & another on the hills at the southern tip, or at least in that general area.
Yep, it is our third, on the hill. I was building a settler for the plain spot. I always build tight :D

I'll be skulking this one.

I've got to to point where Monarch games are just simple and would like to advance to DG. Going through your thoughts on a totally random DG game will be educational.

pre-flight:

-contact foreign advisor, foreign advisor relays a message from the Vikings, "We have you by the balls and we know it."

-contact military advisor, there is no answer, upon going to his office I find it deserted with a letter on his desk:

Dear Mao, We have 3 archers, & 3 warriors, our intelligence has reported that the Vikings began their meager civilization with more units than that. I have sent a message to our worker top inform him to learn to use his pick axe to defend himself, he's on his own. In the meantime, I just realized I was due some vacation time.

-contact domestic advisor who gives a thorough report, "We are building bows & arrows to arm our soldiers as fast as possible, production is as good as can be expected given the improvements made by our one worker. However, it costs us 20 shields to arm one unit of archers, while it only takes the VIkings 14 to do the same."

-contact trade advisor, he is a complete mess and will only make odd ramblings, "Our roads, they will be destroyed, incense, taken away, trade is gone, it's gone I tell you!"

-contact cultural advisor, he's really pissed, seems to think we should have built a tmeple where the poeple would at least have a place to assemble and pray before being slaughtered

-contact science advisor who only has one thing to say, "Sir, it is good that we are researching philosophy. This way the people can learn to think for themselves and realize what a bunch of idiots are running this country."

After processing all this information and opening the save and hitting enter, I decided to take a skip. I hope you guys dont take this the wrong way, I am not saying our situation is hopeless, but what I see happening is this: The Vikings are going to come against Shanghai. Once they either destroy it or we abandon it before it gets destroyed, they will then plant a city of their own in roughly the same spot, further limiting our already cramped space and making life even harder for us. We could move all our units to defend Shanghai (all 6 of them, not counting the worker) but then that would only mean they would attack our capitol instead, which would likely be worse.

Having said that, I am hoping another player with more skill than I have can possibly see a solution to our problem and get us out of this mess. I know if I play the turnset, we aren't coming out looking very good. So, I'm not exactly trying to pass this off on someone else, I just know when I am over my head and I am willing to let someone else take a try instead.

nerovats: I would have risked them attacking and not tried to boot them.

1: nerovats - just played
2: predesad - skipped due to overwhelming odds against being able to make anything but a disaster out of the current situation
3: woobi - UP
4: mastertyguy - on deck

I was temped to risk it, but archers just have 1 defence, and I was almost 100% sure they would attack. Situation is not yet hopeless I think. Vikings started with a lot of units, but mostly warriors.

nerovats said:
I was temped to risk it, but archers just have 1 defence, and I was almost 100% sure they would attack. Situation is not yet hopeless I think. Vikings started with a lot of units, but mostly warriors.

i agree it's not hopeless yet, which is why i posted a skip, perhaps if i had kept the turn for awhile i could have come up with a good way to face the threat, but i am a player who in a situation like we are facing would spend 2-3 days thinking about it, open the save several times just to look, etc, etc. meanwhile the game stalls, so i thought i would let someone else try. if i had played last night nothing good would have happened i would have needed serious thinking / planning time.

i disagree with your decision about the certainty they would declare war and the boot attempt for the simple reason that the units the vikings had in our territory are all warriors with the exception of one spear according to what you have in your turn log & what i saw in the turn. if they had brought archers in , then i would have been more inclined to think they were going to attack. instead of trying to boot i would have switched production to spears from archers so that if they did attack with those warriors there would have been a very good chance all they would have accomplished would be to have sacrificed their warriors to promote a couple of our spears.

anyway, i am not trying to debate the issue or say you did the wrong thing & i hope you have not taken offense at any of my comments. i just wanted to point out my thoughts on the situation & say what my approach would have been. since moving up to emporer i never try to boot an enemy who is stronger than me according to military advisor, if they come marching through my territory i just try to prepare for an attack in case it happens. this move up to DG is a learning process for me, even if it is my last intended game, perhaps i am wrong in my thinking.

i just hope we can get out of this war without taking too many loses. then when we get math & can build some cats, add a couple spears to archer stock, then we can get revenge. if we lose a city, like Shangai, i think we have to look at squeezing in another city or two to help our economy if nothing else.

Alright...

I only played a few turns...

But here's what I did...

Saved our asses from defeat...

We still have our luxery, and all our cities, plus one more...

I also, maybe it was the wrong thing to do, made peasce with the Vikings...

I traded Philosophy for mad making and horseback riding...

We did not get the Philosophy free tech...

Hope I did well...

1: nerovats - on deck
2: predesad -
3: woobi - just played
4: mastertyguy - UP

Sounds just fine to me.

@predesad, I play SG's to learn so any debate about strategy is great. Please mention if you think someone makes a mistake as I will. There's is not just 1 good way to play this game, which makes it so good. In this case you might have been right, but if you were wrong we might have lost our second city that turn, then it would have gotten rather hopeless.

okay, you kept all our cities and got one more, i would like to know how??

when i had hit the space bar to end the turn one of our archers was immediately killed by a viking archer and several units came marching into our territory already outnumbering us. could we have a turn log or something please?

nerovats said:
Sounds just fine to me.

@predesad, I play SG's to learn so any debate about strategy is great. Please mention if you think someone makes a mistake as I will. There's is not just 1 good way to play this game, which makes it so good. In this case you might have been right, but if you were wrong we might have lost our second city that turn, then it would have gotten rather hopeless.

i fail to understand how we could have lost our second city, we had enough units to stock in there if their warriors attacked to prevent that. according to your turn log you only killed off one, there were only 2-3 more warriors in the area. but i stand by what i said earlier, if they were going to declare war they would have brought archers.

Presad...

I got one more by settling it...

And we are definetly at peace with the Vikings...

1325: nothing
1300: finished spear in Beijing
1275: France finished Pyramids, cascade takes Oracle, Persia goes for the Mausolleum
1250: Every body starts lots of wonders, finish spear in Shangai, start archer
1225: finish archers on Canton and Beijing
1200: suicide curragh...
1175: lost, but discover new lands
1150: finish a few units
1125: Vikings finish Great lighthouse

After my 10 turns, we now have 8 archers, 4 spears and 1 warrior

Woobi said:
Presad...

I got one more by settling it...

And we are definetly at peace with the Vikings...

what i would like to know is how you were able to hold off the vikings, save our cites, & get peace. perhaps i will take a stab at the turnset this weekend just to see what i could have com eup with given enough time, but my intial thought was, "we are going to lose a city no matter what i do."

anyway, in case i didnt say so earlier - good job

Top Bottom