Preserve District

On a minor note, it somewhat annoys me that other than brazil, you always chop rainforest then replant woods for the appeal boost. Perhaps after a certain mid to late game tech/civic, they stop being negative appeal and act like woods.
This would be good, could also be incorporated not just to the parent city but globally to all cities for Chichen Itza, however I'm against creating "must have" wonders. But let me offer an alternative: With a certain mid- to late-game tech/civic, rainforest (or extended to every tile that is affected by a negative appeal hit) tiles generate +1 science for every -1 (or-2 if that works better for balancing) appeal hit to that tile. Maybe +1 science for every -1/-3/-5 etc appeal hit and +1 production for every -2/-4/-6 etc appeal hit. The reasoning is that faith generation has become more and more potent as the game has developed, and the benefits of having lush global appeal has also become more and more potent. While this is a good teaching tool for kids, there should be a way of playing the game where throwing caution to the wind in terms of environmentalism could unleash an alternate approach that generates an industrial powerhouse. It also addresses my personal qualm that mines are horrible now - this is somewhat tangential so I'll let you skip it if you want.

Spoiler why mines are horrible :
First and foremost, output: mines provide one more production and a second production very early on with apprenticeship, and eventually an extra 2 with more advanced technologies. There's the bit about Ruhr Valley, but that only affects the mines of a single city and requires the investment of an industrial era wonder. In contrast, a lumber mill provides +2 production upon unlocking, making classical era lumber mills give as much of a bonus as medieval era mines, and also can make 2 more production with more advanced technologies, so both improvements eventually reach their potential of +4 production, however, the lumber mill is equal or ahead for most of the game except for the timeframe of when you have industrialization but not steel. EXCEPT, having a lumber mill implies that there is a woods on the tile which is +1 production, meaning that the total yield of the tile will always be better, but just equal during that short window, albeit at the expense of a chop. Second, availability: mines can only be on hills and minable resources, which early on is more frequent than woods. But you eventually earn the ability to plant woods, whereas you never gain the ability to "raise hills." Finallly, mines always add a negative appeal hit, which can add up with clusters of mines, whereas lumber mills not only don't hurt appeal but inherently add to it (for woods not rainforest) as the tile has woods which adds to appeal and later adds a second for woods that were there from the beginning.

I thought this was fun. My plan was to use the incas to put preserves everywhere. That didn't really happen for reasons outlined in this thread, but I found this spot which I think is about perfect for them (I built petra because I wrongly thought the effect would apply to desert mountains as well). Well, I know it's not exactly good gameplay but now the plan is to beeline conservation just to make the sanctuary.

This would be good, could also be incorporated not just to the parent city but globally to all cities for Chichen Itza, however I'm against creating "must have" wonders. But let me offer an alternative: With a certain mid- to late-game tech/civic, rainforest (or extended to every tile that is affected by a negative appeal hit) tiles generate +1 science for every -1 (or-2 if that works better for balancing) appeal hit to that tile. Maybe +1 science for every -1/-3/-5 etc appeal hit and +1 production for every -2/-4/-6 etc appeal hit. The reasoning is that faith generation has become more and more potent as the game has developed, and the benefits of having lush global appeal has also become more and more potent. While this is a good teaching tool for kids, there should be a way of playing the game where throwing caution to the wind in terms of environmentalism could unleash an alternate approach that generates an industrial powerhouse. It also addresses my personal qualm that mines are horrible now - this is somewhat tangential so I'll let you skip it if you want.

Spoiler why mines are horrible :
First and foremost, output: mines provide one more production and a second production very early on with apprenticeship, and eventually an extra 2 with more advanced technologies. There's the bit about Ruhr Valley, but that only affects the mines of a single city and requires the investment of an industrial era wonder. In contrast, a lumber mill provides +2 production upon unlocking, making classical era lumber mills give as much of a bonus as medieval era mines, and also can make 2 more production with more advanced technologies, so both improvements eventually reach their potential of +4 production, however, the lumber mill is equal or ahead for most of the game except for the timeframe of when you have industrialization but not steel. EXCEPT, having a lumber mill implies that there is a woods on the tile which is +1 production, meaning that the total yield of the tile will always be better, but just equal during that short window, albeit at the expense of a chop. Second, availability: mines can only be on hills and minable resources, which early on is more frequent than woods. But you eventually earn the ability to plant woods, whereas you never gain the ability to "raise hills." Finallly, mines always add a negative appeal hit, which can add up with clusters of mines, whereas lumber mills not only don't hurt appeal but inherently add to it (for woods not rainforest) as the tile has woods which adds to appeal and later adds a second for woods that were there from the beginning.
I agree that mines seems to be worse off than lumber mills. Outside the early game, mines seem like the worse option if they arent on some resource. I am guessing they made it this way to try and make people think twice about chopping all the forests away for massive boosts. Of course now they added several benefits to having untouched and uncut tiles so idk if its still needed anymore. Your approach to having boosts to have more and more negative appeal is interesting. It would invert the boosts of having a cluster of woods to a cluster of mines. The trick is to not make it too strong, or people will just go back to chopping all no matter what.

I thought this was fun. My plan was to use the incas to put preserves everywhere. That didn't really happen for reasons outlined in this thread,

I had the same experience. I would've thought Inca preserves would be amazing, but, nope.

I too thought the Preserve would be game changing for Inca, enough to make them competitive at a Culture victory. Sadly it is not the case.
the needless nerf to Earth Goddess has maybe made the Preserve worth considering in marginally larger number of cases now

Top Bottom