problems modifying unit

againsttheflow

unpolitically uncorrect
I've been using FLICster to try to do a small modification to a unit but whenever I

1) export a storyboard,
2) open the new FXM file,
3) make the modification to the .pcx and save,
4) double-click the animation to see the fix applied to the FXM file, and finally,
5) export to a FLC file

then the FLC file invariably plays just like the original without a single change.
Am I missing something?

Can you be more specific... What changes are you doing before generating the New Flc?
You can only enlarge Frames with Flicster not set them smaller... even the enlarged frames will only be larger frames with the same size unit in them.

IF you make changes to the original storyboard, you should see the changes when you generate the new Flc...so I am not sure what changes you are trying to do.

I'm not doing anything to the frame size. What I'm doing is just erasing an arrow that was frozen for several frames in a row in one direction of an attack animation.

Technically I made the changes to the storyboard a while back and when I exported to a storyboard again so as to get an .FXM file it produced, of course, a new one. I simply replaced this new one with one I'd modified and applied to the animation in the .FXM file by double clicking. The arrow no longer froze but disappeared at the correct frame.\

I had thought that exporting to a FLC was all it took but again, I must be missing something cause it didn't work the several times I ran through the steps. The storyboard is completely unmodified except for the little bit of erasing. I displayed just the way I wanted in the .FXM file.

you just need to make the changes to the .pcx storyboard in a graphics Editor...you do not do anything with the .FXM file.
Make changes to the Frames in the storyboard then save (overwrite) the original Storyboard...then generate the new Flc using the same .FXM file with the New Storyboard.

I did nothing to the FXM except double click it to refresh/apply the changes made in a graphics editor.

What I did was use the storyboard I had made earlier and rename it to exactly the name of the old storyboard (after renaming the old one). I did not overwrite it which I guess you're saying must be the issue? It completely stumped me cause the FXM file immediately picked up on the change (which showed I renamed it correctly) but when importing it must completely ignore the file names and go back to the old storyboard. I'll try again when I get home tonight.

I understand that nothing needs to be done to the .FXM file, I was just mentioning everything I did which included double clicking on the .FXM to refresh the preview after modifying the storyboard (it mentioned it in the FLICster readme which I was following).

I have tried everything I can think of since posting including doing everything completely from scratch; exporting, modifying and saving a brand new storyboard, the whole bit. As far as I can tell nothing is working. I've done a little gallery documenting all my steps if someone wouldn't mind taking a look at it. There's nothing else I can think to check.

Attachments

• Problem exporting to FLC.rar
    428.2 KB · Views: 43
againsttheflow... OK, There is Nothing wrong with your Procedure.
You did not show the previous Frames where the arrow was but I am quite certain that it is causing the problem.

After erasing the Arrow in the Frames where it should not be, make sure you Select and move the Arrow away from the East Frame at least 2 pixels.
The Arrow is probably closer than that and this always Causes this problem in Flicster in the East, North East and South East directions.

Other Directions can have the animation touch the Frame and be ok.

IF needed, you can make the Frames larger, which I believe people should do anyway and especially for units that show any projected animation such as the Arrow.

Keep 2 pixels away from the East Frames.

If any problems upload just the attack and I will correct it for you...That would have been easier than downloading your Procedural ScreenShots...but I do understand that you wanted to know what was wrong.

againsttheflow... I found the Unit and corrected that Glitch in the East Direction... It was due to what I posted above. The Arrow was touching the Frame on the East Direction and must stay 2 Pixels away from that Frame Edge.

Here is the Corrected Flc and a small image showing the frame Edge and Arrow set 2 pixels away by erasing 2 pixels there.
...This only took a few seconds to correct.
Your procedures were correct. You just needed to also remove 2 pixels from the Last Arrow Frame as shown.

Edit: I made a Civ Specific Colored alternate units_32 showing the Bow...IF wanted.

Attachments

• AA.zip
    83.4 KB · Views: 46
  • RH_Archer.png
    RH_Archer.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 56
  • RohanArcher_units_32.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 57
  • RohanArcher_units_32.png
    RohanArcher_units_32.png
    608 bytes · Views: 86
If any problems upload just the attack and I will correct it for you...That would have been easier than downloading your Procedural ScreenShots...but I do understand that you wanted to know what was wrong.

By this point I wasn't even as interested in fixing the minor problem as I was in figuring out what was going wrong when I followed instructions to a T. Learning fishing etc.

Thanks for the explanation, it had to be something! I didn't get how making a new .FLC file from a modified .pcx could possibly show what the .pcx was before. Obviously the program didn't use the storyboard when it found that problem.

May i use this topic to ask another thing about editing unit? Which way is the easiest to make a unit smaller.. when i make unit smaller in every frame in pcx storyboard then it's pretty sure that the size of it may change from frame to frame??

Obviously the program didn't use the storyboard when it found that problem.
Againsttheflow...Flicster does use the Storyboard that you change because that is THE Storyboard that goes with the .FXM. It is just that because the Arrow was touching the East Frame, Flicster generated the same anomaly that was there and that I am sure it created when the Unit was first made...again because the Arrow was touching the Frame.

Againsttheflow...Flicster does use the Storyboard that you change because that is THE Storyboard that goes with the .FXM. It is just that because the Arrow was touching the East Frame, Flicster generated the same anomaly that was there and that I am sure it created when the Unit was first made...again because the Arrow was touching the Frame.

Oh ok, I had it backwards then. FLICster actually made the glitch instead of not allowing me to work with it because of the glitch. Makes more sense. Thanks again Vuldacon. :)

Top Bottom