1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with creating leader traits

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Eetu, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Eetu

Eetu Chieftain

I've been learning modding and creating a bundle of new civilizations for civ 5 using XML. Artwork, unique units, unique buildings and the like are easy enough for me to make, but even with the help of guides I can't manage to create truly unique leader traits. I'm not talking about traits that straight copy existing traits, but not about anything too revolutionary either. Some of them copy existing technologies or policies and shouldn't be too hard to replicate, but I can't seem to find a way to do it. I'll leave the ideas for the traits here in the hopes that one of you can help or guide me how to do it. The traits are following:

Gain an additional Delegate in the World Congress for each Diplomat acting in a foreign Capital.
    Exactly the same as the Globalization technology, but shouldn't replace the tech once it's reached.

Combat bonus against barbarians.
    Not the whole trait, but this part gives me trouble even though it's similar to unlocking the Honor policy tree.

+50% Food or Production from internal trade routes.
    Once again not the whole trait, but the part that is hard. Similar to the Iron Curtain tenet.

Boosts Science gained from Research Agreements by +20% to both parties. Trade routes to your cities generate +2 Science to you and the Trade Route owners receive +1 Gold.
    A bit similar to the Moroccan trait and the Scientific Revolution policy I guess?

After researching Philosophy, opening a new policy tree triggers a Golden Age.
    Not the whole trait, but most of it, can't figure this one out either.

Can pillage own tiles. Pillaged tiles in your territory yield +1 Gold and give a defensive bonus of 50% to your units.
    One of the harder ones to create, especially the part where the defensive bonus is for your units only. Maybe a unique upgrade?

Resting point for Influence with all City-States is increased by 5. Friendly City-States boost Great Person generation by 5%, except for militaristic City-States, that gift units twice as often when at war with a common foe.
    In my opinion the hardest one to create. Other parts resemble policies and tenets, but the GP one is pretty unique compared to my other traits.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. LeeS

LeeS Imperator Supporter

Pretty much everything you've outlined cannot be accomplished by xml alone, nor by using sql alone. It will require a combination of xml/sql and lua scripting. Whether you use xml or sql will not matter as both xml and sql add or alter the game's database.

You will need to add things like dummy policies, dummy buildings, and perhaps dummy technologies to the game's database, and then add these as needed to your civs or thier cities as appropriate via lua scripting.

Pillaging one's own tiles is not a thing the game understands. While this can be done via lua, it will be pretty advanced modding in terms of the lua needed, and will likely need a re-write of the game's base UnitPanel.lua file as part of the mod. Re-writing a base-game lua file is possible, and including the re-written file as part of your mod is also possible but it will make the mod incompatible with a whole series of other mods.

3. Eetu

Eetu Chieftain

Thanks for the answer! It seems I will have to expand my knowledge on mod creation...