1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with pre-ToTPP scenarios

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by techumseh, Mar 17, 2019.

1. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

Since installing the Patch, I've found that when I try pre-ToTPP scenarios, the road and river movement is unlimited, regardless of the multiplier used in the Rules txt. I do not start the game using the Patch Launcher. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

This place is well and truly dead.

3. Patine

Patine Warlord

I didn't want to say something unhelpful, and as I had no suggestions, I posted nothing. I cannot speak for the rest.

committed hero likes this.
  4. Fairline

Fairline Chieftain

Much like patine I don't have much to say that's useful very often either ;)

Having said that, I have been playing koby's star wars scenario with the patch without the issues you're having with roads tech. This may be because the scenario is a recent tot conversion? I'll try an older scenario after work tonight to see of I can reproduce your problem. Is it a general issue with all scenarios you've tried, and if so, which scenarios?

5. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Chieftain Supporter

The old scenario rules.txt probably doesn't have a COSMIC2 section. This is the one from Over the Reich (remove the \ before the @)

\@COSMIC2
    TradeGoldMultiplier, 0
    TradeScienceMultiplier, 150
    ImpassableAir, 1
    TerrainDefenseForAir, 0
    CityPopulationLossAttack, 1
    CityPopulationLossCapture, 1
    UnitShieldColor, 28
    NoStackKills, 0
    EventHeapSize, 106480, 1
    NavigableRiversIntercardinal, 1
    NumberOfTerrainTypes, 16,16,16,16
    NoIncrementalRushBuy, 1
    MovementMultipliers, 1
    RailroadMultiplier, 1
    RiverMultiplier, 0
    AlpineMultiplier, 0

ProductionCarryOver,1
    NumberOfUnitTypes, 127
    AICapitalizationLimit, 1200
    SDIDefense, 2

Here is the patch description from the launcher

I ran into the same problem with the classic Rome scenario I converted to TOT in order to use for my Lua Lessons. I haven't corrected it in the rules.txt, since I will want to make an example changing it in the events instead.

CurtSibling likes this.
  6. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

Thanks. This is my Red October scenario, and I had the same issue with Curt's Imperialism 2. I have already added the @COSMIC2 field, and that did fix the problem. I'm a little disappointed that pre-patch scenarios will have to be modified manually if ToTPP is installed on your computer. And an additional glitch: the commissar (spy) doesn't function.

7. Knighttime

Knighttime Chieftain

Well, I agree that something seems strange here. But could you please explain why you start the game without using the TOTPP launcher? It seems to me that you would always want to use the launcher, even if you are playing an older scenario created prior to TOTPP. I understand that you may not want/need any of the new enhancements or add-ons that it offers, but the bug fixes alone are really valuable, and since you can check/uncheck specific features, you have full control over what changes are applied.

If you do start the game with the launcher, but uncheck the "Movement multipliers" patch, then I'm pretty sure you don't need to add any additional lines to Rules.txt and roads will behave as you expect. At least that seemed to be the case in my quick test.

I tried to recreate this in a new Original game, but my Spy unit seems to be behaving normally, even when I start the game without the launcher. Not sure what to say about this one, sorry.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  8. Knighttime

Knighttime Chieftain

After thinking about this a little bit more... perhaps when you start the game without the launcher, what you are really doing is running TOTPP with the settings from the last time you did use the launcher, since these are stored in TOTPP.ini in the game directory. I wonder what would happen if you deleted this file and then started the game without the launcher?

It's also possible to have two or more completely independent installations of Test of Time in different folders, one with TOTPP and one without (or with a different TOTPP version, etc.). This would give you an easy way to compare functionality or use the game in its true "native" state.

9. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

Thanks, I'll try unchecking the movement multipliers when I start the next non-ToTPP scenario and see if it behaves normally. This is indicative of a concern I expressed at the outset, which is additional complexity when playing different scenarios made with or without various versions of the Patch.

10. voltar

voltar Drunken Russian

Not dead, still here. Didn't know, now I also know.
    Played some scens didn't observe this issue.
    Civ2 for ever

11. Patine

Patine Warlord

Early morning, out-of-bed post? :p

12. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Chieftain

Hi Tech,

As Voltar, Fairline and Patine indicated, I'm not dead either :lol:! I simply don't recall having encountered this issue before (though to be fair I don't believe I've played a non-ToTPP scenario in the last 2 years).

If I may recommend Knighttime's suggestion to have two Test of Time set ups, one for ToTPP and the other for non-ToTPP scenarios.