Problems with pre-ToTPP scenarios

This place is well and truly dead.

I didn't want to say something unhelpful, and as I had no suggestions, I posted nothing. I cannot speak for the rest.

Much like patine I don't have much to say that's useful very often either ;)

Having said that, I have been playing koby's star wars scenario with the patch without the issues you're having with roads tech. This may be because the scenario is a recent tot conversion? I'll try an older scenario after work tonight to see of I can reproduce your problem. Is it a general issue with all scenarios you've tried, and if so, which scenarios?

Since installing the Patch, I've found that when I try pre-ToTPP scenarios, the road and river movement is unlimited, regardless of the multiplier used in the Rules txt. I do not start the game using the Patch Launcher. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

The old scenario rules.txt probably doesn't have a COSMIC2 section. This is the one from Over the Reich (remove the \ before the @)

\@COSMIC2
TradeGoldMultiplier, 0
TradeScienceMultiplier, 150
ImpassableAir, 1
TerrainDefenseForAir, 0
CityPopulationLossAttack, 1
CityPopulationLossCapture, 1
UnitShieldColor, 28
NoStackKills, 0
EventHeapSize, 106480, 1
NavigableRiversIntercardinal, 1
NumberOfTerrainTypes, 16,16,16,16
NoIncrementalRushBuy, 1
MovementMultipliers, 1
RailroadMultiplier, 1
RiverMultiplier, 0
AlpineMultiplier, 0

ProductionCarryOver,1
NumberOfUnitTypes, 127
AICapitalizationLimit, 1200
SDIDefense, 2

Here is the patch description from the launcher

Allows configuration of the cost of movement along railroads, roads and rivers as well as the movement cost for units with the alpine flag.

These multipliers are configured using the @COSMIC2 keys 'RailroadMultiplier', 'RoadMultiplier', 'RiverMultiplier' and 'AlpineMultiplier' and can be enabled individually.They take 2 values, the first needs to be set to 1 to enable the multiplier, while the second value determines the movement cost. E.g. setting 'RailroadMultiplier' to 1, 6 means a unit can move 6 tiles along a railroad for 1 movement point. Setting the movement value to 0 means the movement cost of the underlying terrain is used, setting it to -1 means movement is unlimited.

In game, all enabled movement multipliers are combined into an aggregate movement multiplier (exactly their least common multiple). This number multiplied by the movement rate from @UNITS must be less than 256 for each unit. You'll get a friendly warning when this limit is exceeded.

If Lua is enabled, registers the 'totpp.movementMultipliers' table.

I ran into the same problem with the classic Rome scenario I converted to TOT in order to use for my Lua Lessons. I haven't corrected it in the rules.txt, since I will want to make an example changing it in the events instead.

Thanks. This is my Red October scenario, and I had the same issue with Curt's Imperialism 2. I have already added the @COSMIC2 field, and that did fix the problem. I'm a little disappointed that pre-patch scenarios will have to be modified manually if ToTPP is installed on your computer. And an additional glitch: the commissar (spy) doesn't function.

Since installing the Patch, I've found that when I try pre-ToTPP scenarios, the road and river movement is unlimited, regardless of the multiplier used in the Rules txt. I do not start the game using the Patch Launcher.
I have already added the @COSMIC2 field, and that did fix the problem. I'm a little disappointed that pre-patch scenarios will have to be modified manually if ToTPP is installed on your computer.
Well, I agree that something seems strange here. But could you please explain why you start the game without using the TOTPP launcher? It seems to me that you would always want to use the launcher, even if you are playing an older scenario created prior to TOTPP. I understand that you may not want/need any of the new enhancements or add-ons that it offers, but the bug fixes alone are really valuable, and since you can check/uncheck specific features, you have full control over what changes are applied.

If you do start the game with the launcher, but uncheck the "Movement multipliers" patch, then I'm pretty sure you don't need to add any additional lines to Rules.txt and roads will behave as you expect. At least that seemed to be the case in my quick test.

And an additional glitch: the commissar (spy) doesn't function.
I tried to recreate this in a new Original game, but my Spy unit seems to be behaving normally, even when I start the game without the launcher. Not sure what to say about this one, sorry.

Last edited:
After thinking about this a little bit more... perhaps when you start the game without the launcher, what you are really doing is running TOTPP with the settings from the last time you did use the launcher, since these are stored in TOTPP.ini in the game directory. I wonder what would happen if you deleted this file and then started the game without the launcher?

It's also possible to have two or more completely independent installations of Test of Time in different folders, one with TOTPP and one without (or with a different TOTPP version, etc.). This would give you an easy way to compare functionality or use the game in its true "native" state.

Not dead, still here. Didn't know, now I also know.
Played some scens didn't observe this issue.
Civ2 for ever

Not dead, still here. Didn't know, now I also know.
Played some scens didn't observe this issue.
Civ2 for ever

Early morning, out-of-bed post? :p

Hi Tech,

As Voltar, Fairline and Patine indicated, I'm not dead either :lol:! I simply don't recall having encountered this issue before (though to be fair I don't believe I've played a non-ToTPP scenario in the last 2 years).

If I may recommend Knighttime's suggestion to have two Test of Time set ups, one for ToTPP and the other for non-ToTPP scenarios.

Thanks for figuring this out. I had the same issue.

Cthulu has morphed into the Gerbil Pope!

Welcome back, St. Leo. Long time, no see.

I'm having an issue with a new events file for Roman Britain. I can't get flags to be acknowledged as either on or off. I understand that the CONTINUOUS modifier may not work, but that shouldn't keep them from remaining in one state or another.

I've looked at it a second time and can confirm that the flags in Roman Britain do not work at all. This is much worse than my problem, where only the continuous modifier has failed. I'm beginning to think that we have a serious problem with the Patch Project, and that we should call on the Nameless One to investigate and hopefully fix it. I'll wait for any comments before making a post on the Patch thread. Tootall, you successfully used flags with ToTPP, including the continuous modifier, on your Vietnam scenario. Do you have any thoughts?

Do other, non-flag related events work, or does nothing work? There is an override that makes the game use lua events rather than macro.txt and if you've messed around with the former at all, its possible you may have checked that.

I have also encountered some strange bugs from time to time with pre ToTPP scenarios (like Red Front) but I haven't invested the time to try and work around them.

Top Bottom