Production speed at a marathon game

pirke

Prince
When I play a game I really like the marathon speed and huge maps, if there was an option to get even longer games, I'd take it ;)

However, I often find that researching technologies goes too fast in comparison with the build speed of the buildings, especially in the early game. I can research two or three technologies in the same time it takes me to complete 1 building... what civilization took 400 years to build something simple like barracks? It did take 400 years to make a technological breakthrough, so that part is good I guess. Also, I can adjust the science to spend less money on research, but I can't do anything to adjust the production speed of my cities, and it wasn't so hard to build a temple or a barracks...

How is research in the early game funded with money anyhow?

well one way to look at it is that all of your cities are putting energy into researching that one tech...whereas each city is producing it's buildings on their own.

the early methods to increase the production speed of your cities is to:
A) chop forrests down for hammer bonuses.
and
B) use slavery to sacrifice population to rush the production of the building.

I agree that production speed should be increased in Marathon, or a new speed should be introduced. Maybe like techs cost 3-5 times as much :science: as on Standard, but buildings and units are 1-1,5. That'd be fun. Talk about epic wars :)

yeah it's weird that Epic speed it the opposite of that....tech rate almost normal but production slowed down.

the quick and dirty way to mod it so you build at normal rate but tech much slower is to go into CIV4TechInfos.xml and simply add an extra zero to all the tech costs =)

...If I was able to change the XML files (haven't got a program for it yet), would it be possible to add an entire new speed?

"Truly Epic: All :hammers: costs remain the same as on normal speed. All other aspects, including :culture:, :science:, amount of turns, and so forth, is defined as in the Marathon speed."

I'd be overjoyed and would eventually drop out of college.

i'm not sure how the speed settings are controlled so i don't know if it could be done strictly with xml...python or sdk might be required.

oh and ps: you don't need a special program to change xml files...you can open/edit them with notepad(or any text editor) =)

It's fine as it is.... It's already cheaper to produce units and buildings than on Epic and Normal speed. (Techs cost 3x more but units and buildings only 2x)

"Truly Epic: All costs remain the same as on normal speed. All other aspects, including , , amount of turns, and so forth, is defined as in the Marathon speed."

It would be AI unit spamming themselves to death.

P.S. There are several mods out there that have to do with the game speed and tech/unit costs, you might want to check that out if that's your thang. :)

Then every city would have every building, and wonders would be extremely easy to crank out. Getting a wonder tech first would be as good as getting the wonder for free upon researching it.

...If I was able to change the XML files (haven't got a program for it yet), would it be possible to add an entire new speed?

"Truly Epic: All costs remain the same as on normal speed. All other aspects, including , , amount of turns, and so forth, is defined as in the Marathon speed."

I'd be overjoyed and would eventually drop out of college.

Don't have a program for it yet? There are free text editors on the internet...

http://www.xmlcooktop.com/

Heck, you can use notepad....

Just take note that playing with the various speed settings require either expert mathematical knowledge, or a lot of trial and error.

I personally play FexFX's 1200 turn game with his extra huge maps.... but even there, I have gone in and tweaked the techs to take slightly longer and the builds to take slightly less time.

Naturally, taking 400 years to build a barracks is unreasonable.... but it's just an arbitrary time, the same as it taking years for a troop to move to the next tile. Or taking hundreds of years to train a club-wielding warrior!! :lol:

Top Bottom