[Civ2] Program crashing when modding - how to debug?

Noob1

Chieftain
Not sure I'm posting in the right forum so apologies if not.

I'm trying to make a modified version by editing the text files. I've altered things like tech tree, unit capabilities, terrain stats, etc. Usually when I make an error in the text file, the program crashes with a "failed to start" message on startup and I can find out by trial-and-error which line is crashing it. But I'm also getting crashes with a different message - "Civ2.exe has stopped working" which happen either immediately after game setup or a few turns into the game. From switching files around I've confirmed it must be the Rules file causing the problem, but other than this I've no idea.

Does anyone know what causes this kind of error, or how I could find out?

I'm on Windows 7, x64, and running "Civilisation 2 Gold Edition". The only other time I've had the same error in a standard game is when I built airports in the maximum number of cities and then tried to airlift something.

When modding on MGE gold, then I have a similar issue when say building seven cities and fully populating the infrastructure plus adding in improvements with the grid of up to 21 tiles. It triggers the cpu flaw as it seizes up lots of memory. When modding, you do a few things, then test it, then exit and make new changes, and rinse repeat. It's easy to make critical errors when messing with the tech tree. Having just done a major job overhauling a mod, which them causes new units tobe available,then it's easy to make errors with the rules, and the unit.bmp. You really need to draw the whole thing out on paper first or you will create lots of errors.

Don't forget that certain tech then have their own functions like railroads or airports or partisans. Then you have to adjust the improvements and wonders as well.

Whatever you do, be sure to neutralize the units with diplomacy attributes and make them expensive and late in the game too. Otherwise they will steal tech early on and totally unbalance the tech. It'sway better to start with embassies and contact and peace and disable the diplomats until way late on the game for bribery and sabotage. The diplomat/spy should be the last unit available after a lengthy tech tree. Still the AI will cheat on Emperor mode and will still bribe units while you can't.

In MGE there is an upper limit of 255 cities, and even though there is a patch that claims you can have more, when I tested it extnsively, it then does insane things like robs gold from other civilizations for unit costs. Make sure your civ.exe is not that patch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom