[TOT] [Project Civ. 2 ToT] translation to Spanish

rhaul

Warlord

Hello everybody.

Not long ago, asking a user about some bugs in the Midgard events, I realized that this Spanish translation project was not going to be simply changing the texts from English to Spanish.

For this reason, I have been forced to open this thread so that the community can help me and inform me about everything I need to know in order to successfully carry out this translation. Any information is welcome, as an example that such names must match in different txt.

Currently I have almost finished the Describe.txt files for Fantasy, Midgar and Scifi, which in my opinion is the most tedious part of the whole project, or at least that's what I thought.

Greetings and thank you.

@AyCe
I'm trying to load TOT's Midgar scenario (Midgard.scn) with civilization 2 (gold edition) but it tells me my version is older.
What version of civ2 should I use to be able to edit the TOT MIDGARD scenario with the trap mode?

Last edited:
I'm trying to load TOT's Midgar scenario (Midgard.scn) with civilization 2 (gold edition) but it tells me my version is older.
What version of civ2 should I use to be able to edit the TOT MIDGARD scenario with the trap mode?

I'm not sure what you mean by "trap mode", but you can't load Test of Time games with older versions of Civ II (nor can you load MGE/earlier versions in Test of Time).

I guess you mean cheat mode. If you change the .scn to .sav, you can load the game in Test of Time and make changes to the file with cheat mode. Test of Time doesn't have a tool to edit the scenario rules and events in the game, so you will have to do that by changing the .txt files.

theoretically I have to change the name of the units and even civilizations.

For units, you definitely have to change rules.txt (same for civ advances, improvements, wonders, etc). The rules.txt also have places for tribe names, but I think those can be changed within the game (I'm not sure if they must be changed there, however). You will probably do better to ask in the scenario league forum about how scenarios work.

As some events reference cities and potentially civs (not sure) by name, the names have to changed accordingly in the .scn file, which can be loaded normally by starting the Midgard (or any other) scenario, changing stuff, and then saving it again.

It would probably be cleaner to modify the strings in the .scn file with a Hex editor directly, but explaining how Hex editors work if you've never used one is a bit tricky. You can watch some Youtube vids about it. Basically, you can directly overwrite bytes without changing the length of the file, as these old games typically reserve N bytes for a name in the savegames. All bytes inside that "name slot" after the name need to be set to 0.

For example, when the game always reads 10 bytes for a name, and the name is "AyCe", the name slot byte range will start with "AyCe", encoded in ASCII, and then 6x a byte value of 0.

As some events reference cities and potentially civs (not sure) by name, the names have to changed accordingly in the .scn file, which can be loaded normally by starting the Midgard (or any other) scenario, changing stuff, and then saving it again.

As @Blake00 has said, I already have experience with hexadecimal editing but I am more interested in learning how to edit it by loading the game and saving the modifications. Could you explain me how to do it?

I notice @rhaul was behind the Spanish translation of Civ1.. so presumably they needed to use hex editing for some of that so hopefully he knows his way around one. Otherwise yeah this is going to be a tough project!!!
https://apolyton.net/forum/civilization-series/civilization-en-espa-ntilde-ol/9435876-sid-meier´s-civilization-español-traducción-v2-0

I even have the download uploaded to this forum.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/civ-esp-spanish-translation-traducción-al-español.29768/

Last edited:
For changing the city names, just change the city names :p

For the civ names:

Cheat Mode -> Change King -> Change Name -> Edit there

then

Cheat Mode -> Save as Scenario

But you would need to compare the before-after scn files in a hex-y-way. I think it will change more bytes than necessary. It would probably be cleaner to directly hexedit the already-fixed english scn file, but at least the diff will show you where you would need to do the name editing. I think the other changes can be ignored.

Thank you very much for the explanation, it is possible that a future will serve as a reference.
I have looked at the file in hexadecimal a bit and I only see to edit the first city that is founded by default as soon as you start the game, but the names of the cities that you later found cannot be edited.

Do you only have to edit that first city?

Yes, from what I understood from Ayce's explanations, I should do the following (I don't know if I need to do more things):
- 1st Name units must match in Events.txt and Rules.txt
- 2nd name "civilizations" must match in events.txt and Midgar.scn
- 3rd name "capitals" must match in events.txt and Midgar.scn

Is @AyCe and @Blake00 correct?

Last edited:
Top Bottom