Promised Land victory strategies

Duskblood

Chieftain
Promised Land Victory 101.....Completed my first Promised Land Victory. Here's some strategies and lessons learned.....

Tips:
  • It takes awhile to build the Exodus. As you are getting close to doing so, start making your trade routes local to the city that will build it to increase production and get it built quicker.
  • Make sure to have land put aside before gate completion for your earthlings to put their settlements on.
  • Even though you need to settle 20 different earthlings, you can combine 6 of them into one settlement. So theoretically you only need land for 4 settlements.
  • This may sound stupid, but I suggest you bring over your earthling settler at the beginning of each turn. It is easy, esp. if you are playing fast, to hit the Next Turn button only to realize you wasted a turn not bringing a settler over.
  • Don't put another unit on the Exodus Hex. I had a Lev Tank that ended his turn on it and it wouldn't let me bring over a settler that turn.
  • Make sure to build your Exodus close to the land you will settle your earthlings on to decrease travel times.
  • In addition to above, build roads/magrails to the land areas to decrease travel times.
  • Build your settlements away from borders, and if possible surrounded by your existing cities. If I am correct, other civs may capture your settlements and you will lose credit towards the victory in that case.
  • Aliens don't like Earthlings much. In my game, I was friendly with aliens the whole game, but once new Earthings got nearby, they attacked.

On a side note, the other Civs in my game did nothing to stop my victory. Although I was a lot stronger, I thought they should still realize I'm about to win and do everything they can to stop it.

Here's the video of my game. Hope you get some good tips!

Link to video.

All good tips. Having military surround the area you've set aside for the settlement area is a good idea too.

People say that Promised Land is the most annoying VC, and it is true that it does require the most clicks. But it is my favorite VC because so many of the others you just end up spamming F and end turn near the end. In my opinion, PL requires the most "complete" empire, because you probably should raze few of your neighbor's cities to make room for your earthlings. Since if you had space within your own empire, those should have been settled as regular cities 100+ turns ago.

you probably should raze few of your neighbor's cities to make room for your earthlings. Since if you had space within your own empire, those should have been settled as regular cities 100+ turns ago.

Disagree, if you keep your cities spaced to cover maximum tiles at minimal science/culture penalties you should end up with enough space between your cities to place most, if not all, earthling settlements and with much less risk to boot, or at least that's usually how it ends up going for me.

Promised Land is my most common victory condition.

Even at half the score of the top AI on Apollo I usually don't face a declaration of war when I build the Exodus Gate.

I've found that if Promised Land is going to be the victory condition you need to plan for it well in advance. Magrails are great for short distances from the gate, if you can manage that, and are better than phasal teleports since you can move and settle in the same turn at short range. The other thing is trying to have a few places in your empire that are well protected and don't overlap with cities.

Though with the AI, I've put Earthling Settlements on coastlines and nothing bad happened.

Anyone even know if the settlements can take damage or if they're completely helpless?

I finally finished an Apollo game with a promised land victory after basically winning a ton of games but quitting before I won.

I sat there for like 30 turns waiting for the settlers to come out of the gate until I just googled it and found out how you were supposed to do it.

Moderator Action: Moved to Stores & Let's Plays and VidLP tag added

Promised land victory simply makes me more happy about winning. :)

F*** these other scrubson the new planet ... How dare they go against and complain at their kin, the Earthlings? :mad:

I enlarged America quite a bit in that first game I won... Enlarged by the amount of another whole pangea... :ar15:

'
EDIT: yes the other civs were the bad guys, not America, in my game... Veritably it was so... Polystralia was guilty of becoming aliens and Africans became cyborgs... I'm pretty much innocent in taking over their land as purity America :blush:

Top Bottom