Proper Installation

Wierd. So you click your shortcut to launch the game, it brings up the little window that says "Loading Fall From Heaven 2 031 lots of Junk"

Then it pops up the standard Civ 4 background, but the upper right corner says "Fall From Heaven 2 031?"

Yeah. That's what happens - I finally figured it out though.

Somehow the .ini file settings got set to NoCustomAssets=1. Argh. And I didn't even touch the .ini file before I opened it up earlier.

That fixed it for you? It is meant to be set to 1, which keeps the mod from loading anything which is installed to the Custom Assets folder. Since the entire mod is meant to be installed in the Mods folder.

If that did fix it for you then I am going to guess that it is installed to the CustomAssets folder instead of where it was meant to be installed, which might be why the mediapack caused problems, if it attempted to install in the normal location. But I suppose it all could actually work fine from CustomAssets as long as you didn't have anything else installed to there as well.

Hello!
BtS is giving me nightmares.. I've been experiencing the same problem as ShaKadelic: game crashes as soon as it starts to load a map. Weird thing is, BtS itself works fine -at least until I install FFH, at which point both the game and every mod crash. I figured something in FFH somehow changed the main game setting, but even deleting FFH's folder under MODS will still cause the game to go bandicootland.
ARGH! I've tried everything, even changing the .ini file, but to no use (no, not really: changing the .ini file causes the game to crash in a different manner, now NOT closing the loading screen but just standing there; returning to desktop gives me a dandy "This program has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. Do you wish to save a diagnostic file?" message.)
*shakes fist at heaven* Why? WHY?! Last thing I can think of is de-install everything, re-install it again, make a backup of the .ini file (changing its name, that is... stupid computers), install FFh and changing back the .ini, but I'm too depressed right now...
Please, please... I'm begging you... any help would be really appreciated...
EDIT:
Okay, after some experiments I think I've narrowed the possibilities. BtS crashes after installing patch 3.13, not FFH. I'll just have to disinstall the damn thing, re-install it, re-download the patch and try again. I'll even try FFh without the patch, but I doubt I'll get more than a headache.
EDIT2:
So, step 1 is ok. Unpatched, freshly installed BtS works fine. Since installing the patch makes it crash, I'll try to donwload it again. Meanwhile, I'll see what happens running FFH without 3.13.
EDIT3:
Step 2 was to try FFH without patching BtS. Obviously, it doesn't work (crashes at load map screen, as usual) but at least BtS is still functioning so I desume the problem must lie within BtS Patch 3.13. I'll try to dowload/install it through BtS Menu/Advanced/Check Updates. Pray Lugus...
EDIT4:
Just found my god for 10 years worth of games. My prayer did work, BtS patched through the main menu works fine. Now I'll copy the*.ini file and try installing FFH. Pray Lugus..
EDIT5
This is getting amusing. Really. After installing FFH, now even BtS does not work. I tried to sobstitute the post-FFH .ini (which, curiously enough, changed in sixe from 6 kb to 8 kb) to a pre-FFH, but nothing. I even deleted the whole damned FFH folder under mods, but nothing. I am completely at loss here, how can installing a mod invalidate the core game? The only thing I can imagine is my "FallfromHeaven2031" 323 Mb file being somehow tainted by an evil force. I'll try once again meddling with the .ini, copy/pasting xienwolf's content in it.
EDIT6
HURRAY! Game works, evil force defied!
Okay, pasting xienwolf's .ini into my own made vanilla BtS go smooth, even with the FFH folder deleted -so I came to the conclusion that installing "FallfromHeaven2031" somehow changes the initial .ini file into a twisted, dark parody of its former self. Anyway, I sobstituted the .ini, re-installed "FallfromHeaven2031" and loaded the mod. I cut the game some slack, started a Play Now! game with random leader and "oh, who cares!" map and all, and it worked! It can be done! *cue lightning*
EDIT7
No man should defy the Dark Force. I'm starting to believe this is some "world domination" ploy by Perpentach to drive me insane. I have been chosen! Mwahaha!
No seriously, this is AMAZING! The .ini file somehow demonstrates a "genetic memory" which automatically sets a game's default statistics to Archipleago, Monarch, Quick [even though there is no trace of these words in the file itself]. Even worse, the game crashes as soon as I found the first city! Argh, is that due to the game not finding the city's name? Duh, my brain's dead. I can only call for help, maybe someone with a raw, untouched .ini could post it here? Meanwhile, I'll just try some genetic engeenering between BtS and Civ4 's .inis.

Well, are you running Vista? If so you might have to disable the UAC. I'll go dredge up a link to how to do that one and place it in the second post with the other questions :)

You did your re-install and properly managed to patch 3.13, then you jumped straight to messing with your .ini. I would have advised that you try just installing FfH at that point and hoping that it did happen to work. FfH really doesn't change anything outside of the Mods/Fall from Heaven 2 031 folder, I promise :)

Which 3.13 did you use first? If it was the one from this site then I can only hope the problem was an imcomplete download, though it should have refused to run in that case. If it was not, then I highly advise you use this one, if only for the fact that you can then have a copy saved to your Harddrive in case of future re-installation needs.

Wow.
Okay, so in order: no, I dont have Vista. I use Civ4, BtS and FFH on my portable, which uses Windows XP.
I went straight to the .ini, true ("meddling" being a most fitting term :)), but that's just because precedent, shall I say... experiments proved the install-patch-FFH direct path to be a complete failure. But everything I've tried today was a comlpete failure, so I'll start from scratch dowloading the patch and keep you up to date. Can't remember which I used first, sorry -but I think it was the one from Firaxis.
By the way, where can I find the BtS patch on this site? Or do you mean the CvGameCore DLL by Bruhic? Forgive my ignorance :)
Anyway, I've just tried it.
So:
Vanilla BtS works just fine.
Unpatched BtS won't load FFH, as stated & expected. [mod crashes on loading map]
Patch from Firaxis.com causes the game to crash. [game crashes on loading map]
CvGameCore DLL dowloaded from civfanatics under "Unofficial 3.13 patch" causes the game to crash. [on loading map]
Patch dowloaded in-game, from Advanced/Updates, makes the game crash as soon as 1st city is founded.
All of these happen without meddling with the .ini file,and I've double-checked them all.
EDIT
Wow. It doesn't matter, somehow I've been able to make it run properly. Thanks anyway.

Just bought Civ 4 + Beyond the Sword. :)

EDIT: I just cant believe it. I installed everything new (Civ4/BtS/FoH), but i get the SAME DAMN ERROR as before!
Starting a game with BtS/FoH = crash. What the hell, i`m desperate... :(

Hi all,

I've just finished reading the thread and I didn't find anything which concern my problem.

(my civ4 version is BTS 3.13 and I'm using XP)

After downloading the mod on the official link here on this forum, I try to launch the .exe file but nothing happens ! So I can't even install the mod !
Here is the bug message I read:

I understand what it means but as I already said I've downloaded the correct file.

Someone did have already this problem with the mod ?

thank you very much for your help. :)

Right click on the .exe, select Properties.

Ensure that it reads:

Size: 323 MB (338,709,805 bytes)

Size on Disk: 323 MB (338,710,528 bytes)

The message doesn't mean that you've downloaded the wrong file, just that there is a problem with the file. Typically that problem will be that it is not the complete file.

I know that you have downloaded twice, but Gameflood can be quite a nuisance sometimes. I personally tend to often get to 85% or so (very slowly unfortunately) and then it just randomly decides that it is done. If I do not delete the partial file then all subsequent attempts to save over it wind up stopping at the same point :(

thanks for your answer xienwolf !

the file is only 118Mo...

I didn't use the gameflood download manager, should I ?

I use firefox and it "told" me that the download is finished.

Actually when I used the download manager (the one time that I did) it managed to get a whopping 2% done, then I temporarily lost connection (was doing it during class, in a concrete buildng...). You would imagine that as a Download Manager it would notice the file was incomplete and let me resume, but sadly it decided to save what it had finished and then remove all knowledge of ever having even touched the file. :p To be fair, I may have set things up wrong as I have never used it before.

Just give it another shot, and rename the target so that it creates a brand new file. It'll work eventually.

I tried with IE, but nothing more: 208mo :D

I'll try your way by renaming... I'll let you know !

Due to my UK version of BTS getting scratched, I had to buy Civilization IV Complete here in Thailand.

The retail release is already 3.13 and no patches are available through the game update function.

I installed the new FfH in: D:\Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

D is my games drive and C doesn't have the space to put large program files and mods in.

The mod loads fine.

Either way, going through Play Now, or setting up a Custom Game, when the game loads and the first screen says "The Age of Ice has ended", it then immediately hangs, black screen, moments later a crash message.

I would appreciate getting some info on work arounds, or if the Complete version is not supported, can you let me know as my brother is coming over to visit me in Thailand next month and might be able to bring me a new BTS.

Obviously, I'd prefer to get it working under Complete as it will save me lots of money! ;)

Edit: Ok, turning off the movies does let the game load. Has anyone found out the reason why this is preventing some people from playing the game under FfH. I have played vanilla and all other mods with movies on, so there's something that FfH is calling that is unusual.

New thread to deal with this as it is clearly not an installation issue

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=275851

I've installed Fall from heaven correctly, following all your instructions. I've also updated Civ IV to the most recent version (which in this case is 3.17, just released yesterday). I start the game, mod loads correctly, and I can choose a game mode and civ. When I start the actual game, however, Civ IV crashes. What's the deal here? Everything is installed correctly (according to this guide) and civ is updated.

As I said in the thread you started to complain about this, you Civ IV is too updated.

FfH II 0.32 and earlier are not compatible with the BtS 3.17. You'll either have to reinstall 3.13 over it, or just wait for the next version of FfH. Sadly, Kael is in Utah for his job and doesn't have access to his Civ IV computer or the FfH source code at the moment. He has said that he will begin making FfH compatible as soon as he gets back. (I'm guessing that 0.33 and on will be 3.17 compatible, since he has said that he was planning on releasing a new version instead of another patch pretty soon anyway.)

Well, to be fair I was smart enough to specifically state that you need BtS to be patched to version 3.13 :)

3.17 breaks Fall from Heaven. I imagine Kael will have a version .33 out sometime around Tuesday which will require 3.17 to work instead, but no work will be done on that end until at least Saturday.

EDIT: Ninja posted while I read webcomics!

I'm posting from work, so forgive me if the question has been asked before, but I don't have time to search:

A colleague at work is interested in FFHII, but he has the Gametap version of Civ4, and can't figure out how to get the mod going, since the normal folders don't show up. Can FFHII be used with this version, and if so, how?

Thanks.

Yes, it can be used with any version of Civ4 BtS (I am not familiar with GameTap though). If he searches for folders with the names of the Mods included with BtS (Age of Ice, Final Frontier...) then he will find where to install FfH at.

Top Bottom