Proper Installation

Does 0.32g break BtS 3.13? After downloading that, I can't load BtS anymore. Tried installing 3.17 and deleting FfH2 altogether and it still doesn't load. Do I have to reinstall the whole game?

Hello Everyone,

I've spent pretty much all day trying to get this mod to work but no dice. I choose play now get through all the choices then it seems to start to load the map. Then the screen goes blank and then says the age of ice has ended followed by an error message that comes up saying " Blah blah... sorry for the incoveince... do want to report this to MS.

I'm using BtS 313 and FFH 2032, Please someone help me I specifically bought Civ:BtS for this mod. Thanks in advance. Peace.

Nothing you do in FfH should EVER affect normal BtS in any way shape or form. Kael is very careful not to touch any files outside fo the Fall from Heave 2 032 folder

Thanks for the info...
The game and 0.32h running with no problems now, who would've guessed that a cracked CD would cause problems :rolleyes:

@Heavy Mettle: I would suspect that the issue for you is a graphics problem with the movie. Quite common for many people sadly. Disable the movie and it might solve your issues (there should be intructions in the second post of this thread)

Alright, i've tried pretty much everything, but nothing seems to be doing anything. I'm having the same problem as many, the game crashes as soon as i launch the game and turn 1 should begin. Ive downloaded patch 3.17 for bts, FfH2, and patch "h". It gets about halfway through the loading bar before crashing. A few things i found strange, the main menu screen is now always the original BTS menu screen, yet at one point i remember seeing it as a red demon. Not sure what i did to get rid of that menu, but now its stuck as that building. Another thing thats bothering me is that my shortcut isnt working, i followed the steps to set it up but it says the destination is invalid (i've checked over and over) and also, i know it should be a picture of a demon, but my shortcut has no picture whatsoever. Im not sure if it matters, but im using Civ 4 Gold edition, maybe thats screwing it up. The fact that the menu and the shortcut are busted makes me think that certain parts of the mod arent in the right place or something. Ugh...

Edit: Figured it out. Was installing Patch h to the FfH2 folder, not the mods folder. I'm pissed it took me so long to figure out something so basic, but whatever at least it working :)

I have the Resource and Assessts folder, but the game still crashes when loading up

FfH should now be ready to play!
(Launch via shortcut you just set up, or from in BtS, "Advanced --> Load a Mod" menu. Not from "Single Player --> Play a Scenario," where you launched AoI from)

I bought BtS only to play FFH. In 0.22 the installation routine was working well. But in German - as I use to play - the directory is not "program files", but "Programme". BtS worked, but FFH not more. So it was frustrating to delete all files etc. a second time. :cry: Therefore I continued to play .22.

A simple new mistake in the installation routine caused many problems.

Is this now updated or not?

Thank you for any comment!

I have the Resource and Assessts folder, but the game still crashes when loading up

Please see my comment of today. Maybe you are using not "program files" as file location? In my German file names it did not work unfortunately.

There are certain things I cannot understand: Civ IV and BtS know what language is installed in the OS. They then cange the wording of the installation file automatically. Before BtS resp. .3x everything was OK and working, one could change the game file as one wanted it. But then the installation routine was changed and it was forgotten to think about other users' languages.

I had to delete several times the whole installation procedure. How nice!

Therefore one question: Why not take the first installation routine which worked properly everywhere and anytime?

I wasn't aware that FfH had ever used an installer which would check the registry for the correct install location. But if it had, I am not sure why Kael has moved away from using it. Such is a frequently requested feature.

So am I understanding correctly that you have figured out the problem with your installation now, or do you need help still?

I feel dumb at the moment. I have installed the main .32 w/o any issues, but when I run the patch file it looks like it works, even get the word doc, but the mod itself is not updated when I play. I am going to try downloading the files anew and reinstalling the whole thing again after work (yeah yeah productivity down the tubes right now.) but that didn't work last time I tried it, so I'm trying it again. If anyone knows please fill me in.

So your Readme file says that you have the latest patch, but when you run the game there are things which you know were patched in missing (or things removed still present, like Acrobat & Sect of Flies)?

If that is the case, it is a bit wierd. Best guess is that you have it installed in 2 locations, and the one you are updating right now isn't the one you are running in game

Can you tell me please,
where I can download the FFH2016 version. I would like to play this old version of the mod.:confused:
sorry if I post my question in the wrong forum.. I'm new to this.:)
thank you anyway
bye

There are 2 sections to this guide. This first post is for those who have not yet installed FfH. Post #2 is for those who attempted to install the mod, but are now unable to play.

Installing Fall from Heaven

Requirements: Minimum & Reccomended Specs are unchanged from Civ IV : BtS
Civilization IV
Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, Patch 1.17
Note: Warlord's Expansion is not required. However, if you Uninstall Warlords, you must do it BEFORE you install BtS, otherwise you will cause both FfH and BtS to be unplayable due to missing files.
Latest version of FfH (2.032 as of last edit of this post)
Latest Patch for FfH (H as of last edit of this post)

Media pack is not required for gameplay, but provides extended movies for Wonder Creation and Religion Discovery.
The latest version can be found in the main forums in a stickied post Called the "Bug Thread"

Downloading from GameFlood:
First off, some browsers do not work with Gamflood for downloading without thier special download manager. Opera & IE 6 are known not to work, while Mozilla Firefox and IE 7 are known TO work.

If you have issues with the downloads, please PM GF_Nate on the Gameflood site, or GFGuy here on the forums for direct assistance. Or post here.

For the Mod Files:

For the Media Files:
Just click on Download and save the file to disk, Remember to be careful to install to the right location in the next section of this guide!

Installation Procedure:
  1. Locate the directory that Civ IV: BtS is installed in. (Typically C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword. If elsewhere, I advise you re-install CivIV & BtS in this location, but it is not required)
    A quick way to locate the installation location is to right-click on the shortcut for BtS, Select Properties, then click the Find Target button. (or Open File Location button if you use Vista)
    NOTE: All files will be installed to the folder at this location titled MODS. (Typically C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 032.)
    • If you used Steam to acquire BtS, you will have to install the Mod in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 032
  2. Install the latest version of FfH's main file (identified by numbers only. i.e: FfH 2.032)
  3. Install the latest patch for FfH (identified by a letter only. i.e: patch f)
  4. Optional: Install the media pack

Setting up the Shortcut:
In the folder that FfH installed to (i.e: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 032), there is a shortcut with a demon face called Fall from Heaven.

If the location of your BtS folder B that listed in step 1 above, just copy this file to your desktop (or preferred location).

If your install location is different, you must edit the shortcut.
  1. Right-click on the shortcut
  2. Select Properties
  3. In the line for Target, change: "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Fall from Heaven 2 032 to have the correct location of your BtS instill, which should only require modification of the parts in Red. Be very careful that the quote marks are left in the proper location.
    • If you are using Steam you will have to use this guide to set up your shortcut.

(Launch via shortcut you just set up, or from in BtS, "Advanced --> Load a Mod" menu. Not from "Single Player --> Play a Scenario," where you launched AoI from)

If you are having problems downloading from Gameflood, 032 has also been hosted on Filefront, and uploaded as a Torrent
If you are uncertain of the validity of your source file, the MD5 Sum should be: e9c42ca4652dc4456df9ffdbcaf5b624

yeah exactly the acrobat and sect of flies is how I can tell. I only have one ffh folder and the word doc shows up in it saying the current version, but the game itself is not modified.

I wasn't aware that FfH had ever used an installer which would check the registry for the correct install location. But if it had, I am not sure why Kael has moved away from using it. Such is a frequently requested feature.
So am I understanding correctly that you have figured out the problem with your installation now, or do you need help still?
Thank you, you are very kind :), it works now. But needed several deinstallation work. Was frustrated about it and continued to play .22.

Adrogans: You use Vista don't you? I just remembered when I was Modding my brothers Vista computer. Just posted the same advice for someone else in another thread.

If you are using Vista, you have to enable the Security Controls to allow General Users to edit the file. Otherwise it saves as a seperate copy that the game will not use.

Right click on the file, choose properties, go to the Security Tab, Edit Access Privileges, and check all the boxes for general user.

Top Bottom