Proposal: Warmonger Reduction: Aggressor/Victim distinction, modifying Wonders/Cards

SirWill90

Warlord
l ask for a very significant reduction in warmonger penalties against any civ (player or AI) who takes an enemy city during a war in which the city taker was declared war upon by the city loser. I think that in a game that concerns itself so much with the supposed immorality of war, that there should be a clear divide between victim and aggressor. If Civ VI "warmonger" penalties were transposed to the actual world, then after the US and USSR helped to defeat the Axis powers, the United States would have collapsed into anarchy in about 1957 instead of being in the middle of a real-life Heroic Age at that time, and the Soviet Union would have been in utter ruin instead of dominating a huge portion of the globe for 30 years or so after the war ended. This is just one of an abundance of examples of the merits of defensive/responsive war. I would say that there are an equal number of examples of evils descending upon nations that have undertaken offensive war; however I am not sure that history would bear such a statement. Hence, I also ask for a reduction in the severity and persistence of warmonger penalties in general, as in reality war seems as many times as not to have been of benefit to aggressors. With that said, it seems to me that from a gaming standpoint, a sense of fairness would seem at the least to support a reduction in warmonger/city taking penalties for a defending Civ (i.e. one that has been declared on in the current war by the owner of the city being taken).

If not, give us policy cards or wonders to significantly (like at least 50%) reduce the persistence of the penalties, or reduce their initial severity (again, at least 50%). Don't force the player to have to resort to complete war, or if you must, do some very serious work on the AI, strategically and tactically (I realize this latter is quite unlikely to happen.) Ideally there should be some combination of both of these; reduce the warmonger effects, and improve the AI war fighting ability.

It does cross one's mind that the whole purpose of warmonger penalties is to force a human player to stop crushing an AI opponent so as to prolong the human's interest in the game by way of forcing him/her to pick another way to win, as the clear and obvious one has now suddenly been removed by a schoolmarm-type rule. It's kind of like a shell game. The AI is so woefully inept at building a military and using whatever units it has to fight, yet the AI keeps declaring joint wars it cannot win. I would suggest that since the strategic/tactical AI is so bad and is most probably beyond salvage, that at least the AI could be given some kind of incentive not to start wars with human players that it can't possibly win (i.e., unit value/number check of some kind prior to DOW.)

OK I guess that's it. I kept editing and adding to this because no one responded the whole time. Sorry, is that bad form? Heh. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I don't disagree that warmonger penalties are too high, but just trying to understand your proposal - are you talking about external diplomatic penalties, or internal happiness penalty from war weariness? Because it seems to me you mix the two up a bit when you talk about how US would have collapsed into anarchy? Imo. warmonger penalties needs to be scaled with the warmonger score the target civ has earned. I.e. if a civ has been a heavy warmonger, it should cost you much less warmonger hate to target him aggressively.

Top Bottom