PTW - Vista - Freezing after Victory

EvilConqueror

Warlord
Whenever I win a game in PTW on my computer with Vista and try to go beyond the screen where the guy hits the hammer, the screen goes blank and the game crashes. I don't have the problem in Conquests and also didn't have the problem on a computer with XP.

I tried a search for this issue but didn't find anything helpful. If anyone could give me some advice on how to fix this, I would be most appreciative. :)

Sounds like you don't have write permissions to the PTW directory, so it can update the highscores.cv3 file. Or that file is read-only (essentially the same thing...). Ensure you can write to the file, and you should be okay.

I see the the highscores.cv3 file in the Conquests folder but I don't see it in the PTW folder. I'm guessing that since I've never been able to complete a game, it hasn't been created yet?

I tried copying the Conquests highscores.cv3 file to the PTW folder and made sure it wasn't read-only but the game still froze.

Edit: I think I got it working. I'm not sure exactly what happened but I loaded the High Scores screen from the main menu and then was able to finish a game. I see that two files (something in and something out) have now disappeared from the PTW folder. :)

I'm having the same problem. I set that folder to not be read-only anymore, and that didn't solve it. I tried where you right-click and select "run as administrator", and I couldn't find my save files, but it still wouldn't get to the high-scores screen. I also tried loading the high scores screen, but it doesn't have anything to show because I haven't been able to end a game.

Do you have any idea which files disappeared? Or can someone send me a high-scores file that I could put in the folder to get it started?

I'm having the same problem. I set that folder to not be read-only anymore, and that didn't solve it. I tried where you right-click and select "run as administrator", and I couldn't find my save files, but it still wouldn't get to the high-scores screen. I also tried loading the high scores screen, but it doesn't have anything to show because I haven't been able to end a game.

Do you have any idea which files disappeared? Or can someone send me a high-scores file that I could put in the folder to get it started?

Have you tried finishing a game since you loaded the high scores screen? As soon as I did that, I found that the problem was resolved. Old scores won't be saved (since they were never recorded due to the issue) but new ones should get saved.

I don't recall the exact names of the files (I didn't realize they were going to disappear so didn't have a chance to record them) but I remember that there were two with the same file name. But one had "in" and the other had "out" in the name.

Do you have any idea which files disappeared?

The issue came back so I was able to get the names of the files:

bic_in.tmp
bic_out.tmp

Deleting those two files fixes the problem temporary. If the problem comes back, the files were probably recreated and you'll have to go in and delete them again.

Hi, trying to play conquests under windows 7. The exact same problem. It freezes after the warrior hits the hammer. The conquests folder was indeed read only. So I unchecked the flag, and the first test game went OK. However, in the second test it froze again. Checked the folders and they reverted to read only again. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I have this issue. However, I've deleted the bic.in and bic.out files, made the highscores.cv3 file read-only, and I still have this issue. Would setting it in compatibility mode help at all?

I have this issue. However, I've deleted the bic.in and bic.out files, made the highscores.cv3 file read-only, and I still have this issue. Would setting it in compatibility mode help at all?

Sometimes I have to delete them several times before it finally works.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I have to say "thank you!"

I just installed Civ3 PTW on my new computer recently (I was playing it on an older laptop previously, without any problems). The new computer has Win7 x64, and it installed fine and played fine. But after I won the game via domination, the game froze at the point where your historical ranking is calculated (Wang Kon the Cruel!). Anyway, I was frantically searching for some resolution to this - and I stumbled upon this thread (been a member for a while, but never posted until now!).

So yes, this "fix" worked for me, and allowed my score to be recorded. So thank you!

B.

I guess I'm going to do a little necrophilia here, and dig up this old thread (sorry!)

I have the same issue, and will try the fix. I don't have bic.in and bic.out folders, so I'm wondering if there's anything else I have to do.

Had the same problem, only it was with Conquests. Thanx for the fix, gang. Solved my problem after playing C3C for the first time in months.

Sorry to revive this thread yet again, but...
I have been running C3Complete on a laptop in Windows 10 for about a year and in my last game it froze on the victory ranking screen (guy with the hammer ). I can't find any bic_in.tmp or bic_out.tmp or highscores.civ3 files in ether the PTW or Conquests directories. Can anyone give me a file tree to locate these or any other fix for the freezing?
Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Top Bottom