Putmalk's Sengoku Jidai (Upcoming Scenario)

Putmalk

Deity
Release Date: September 28th, 2012​

The rivers run red with the blood of the many samurai who fought over them. Castles are eerily silent at night, and the threat of a shinobi stalking shadows unnerves even the most calm of guardsmen. War rooms are busy, with eager generals discussing their next plan of attack. War is the only law which governs these lands. A country, split apart by various political differences, has been thrust into an all-out melee over control of the various provinces that divide the land. Rocky mountains and hills, thunderous earthquakes and devastating tsunamis make the very land a danger to overcome. This is the beautiful yet perilous land of Japan, the land which you and your people will call home.

You take control of one of the many clans in Japan. Build you clan up from the start of the 11th century to the middle of the 17th, building your armies and unifying the land. Only with your decisions and tactics can your clan hope to survive in the perils that Japan holds. As a country divided, it is up to you to unify the land through force. Will you take up the mantle of Daimyo? Will you forge alliances and break them, will you conquer your foes and lead your people to their destiny, to unify this land and bring an end to the age of warring states in Japan? Will you become the next Shogun of Japan?

Sengoku Jidai: Sword of a Shogun is an upcoming scenario modification by me, Putmalk. Some of you may remember I created the old Ancient World mod for Civ V. The Sengoku Jidai scenario draws heavy influence from Shogun: Total War 2 and the Sengoku Jidai scenario for Civilization III. The scenario has been crafted with the spirit of them in mind; almost every military unit has been changed to resemble the Japanese armies during the medieval period (credits: danrell for his amazing unit art!). Every new asset will feature it's own unique unit flags, unique icons (credits to sukritact and jpbar81 for their help with this!) and unit artwork to make this as authentic and easy to play experience as possible.

Dominate the landscape of Japan (through conquest or time victories) over 300 years. Featuring a massive recreation of the map of Japan, fight your way through Kyushu as the Otomo or Shimazu, conquer Shikoku as the Chosokabe, or fight for your life in the crowded Tokaido region as the Hojo, Takeda, Imagawa, Oda, or Tokugawa. You are in control of your clan's destiny.

The scenario is not completed, but it is very much progressed in its development. I cannot say when it will finished, but consider this a reveal thread. Looking forward to its eventual release!

This scenario will require the Gods and Kings expansion and the Korea DLC.

Attachments

• Sengoku_SS1.jpg
    Sengoku_SS1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 7,740
  • Sengoku_SS2.jpg
    Sengoku_SS2.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 534
  • Sengoku_SS3.jpg
    Sengoku_SS3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 354
  • Sengoku_SS4.jpg
    Sengoku_SS4.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 298
  • Sengoku_SS7.jpg
    Sengoku_SS7.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 382
  • Sengoku_SS6.jpg
    Sengoku_SS6.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Sengoku_SS5.jpg
    Sengoku_SS5.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 361
Thank you for the support. :egypt:

I will be updating the original post with new content as I decide to release it. Screenshots will be posted on a regular basis.

If you would like to contribute, I really need icon art. If you can make icon art that is close in quality to the original Civ art then I can use any help I can get. The goal is to make the mod look as authentic as possible.

Every contributor will receive credit in the mod. There are a lot of art assets that need to be done. :)

Warrior Monk​
Combat: 18
Moves: 2
Cost: 240 :c5faith:
Available: After majority Religion spreads to one of your Cities

Help
Powerful Melee Unit that receives a combat bonus when attacking in rough terrain, and has the ability to move across mountains. Earns 50% of opponents' strength as :c5faith: Faith for kills. May only be obtained by purchasing with :c5faith: Faith.

Strategy
Can be purchased with :c5faith: Faith in any city with a majority Religion. Can cross mountains, but takes damage if they end their turn on a mountain. Slightly less powerful than the Samurai, the Warrior Monk automatically receives the "Drill I" promotion, giving it a bonus when fighting in rough terrain. Warrior Monks earn :c5faith: Faith for each unit they kill, constantly advancing your religious goals while at war (and allowing you to train more Warrior Monks, as well).

Civilopedia
Divided into two categories, "Sohei" and "Yamabushi", the warrior monks of Japan were armed religious soldiers, spreading and defending Buddhism. Sohei are traditional warrior monks, fighting in large armies for certain daimyo. Yamabushi were hermits, living in the mountains and practicing Shugendo, a mostly Buddhist religion that mixes elements of Shinto, Taoism and Tendai Buddhism. Warrior Monks used the naginata and tachi as their primary weapons, but some were known to be very skilled in archery, daggers, and horseback.

At the start of the Onin War in 1467, the warrior monks were forced out of neutrality as the fighting was very close to the temples in Kyoto (most notably, the Enryaku-ji Temple on Mount Hiei). Many Warrior Monks defected to the Ikko-Ikki clan, who rose up against samurai rule. Oda Nobunaga, in 1574, brought an end to the Ikko-Ikki through a massive campaign which starved most of the Ikko-Ikki soldiers. With the fall of the Ikko-Ikki, the monks split allegiance with Tokugawa Ieyasu or Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the two biggest rivals in Japan. Following the victory of Tokugawa Ieyasu and his subsequent control of the country in 1603, the Sohei were all but eradicated in Japanese warfare. Today, there still exists small sections in he mountains where the Yamabushi call home.

Author's Note
The Warrior Monk is designed to provide an alternative play style that allows you to remain competitive in battles. In order to prevent this from becoming a strict war game from start to finish, Warrior Monks provide you an option to focus on building your empire's religion in the early game and gaining access to a very powerful unit that can compete with every unit in the game once you've founded a Religion. Once your Warrior Monk begins eliminating enemies, it allows you to build more Warrior Monks faster, and along with their ability to move across mountains and their bonus in rough terrain, Warrior Monks become a feared opponent that rewards you for investing in religion!

Attachments

• warrior_monk.png
    warrior_monk.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,422
  • warrior_monk_combat.jpg
    warrior_monk_combat.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,355
Looking foward to this mod. How big will the map be?

Massive. :D (bigger than Huge, for reference) It actually plays pretty smoothly though, there's loads of ocean.

You'll get screenshots of the map soon enough. All in due time.

This scenario now features LUA support.

Attachments

• dutch.jpg
    dutch.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,252
The mod looks absolutely awesome right now, great work! I'm sure Sukritact wouldn't mind if you took our icons for the Japanese wonders (Horyu-ji, Itsukushima and the Golden Pavilion so far IIRC) and I know that Ambrox has made Kiyamozu-dera, which could be used. I must say I'm thoroughly looking forward to this, and I'm willing to offer help any way I can, although I'm pretty sure you've got it all covered where I can.

The mod looks absolutely awesome right now, great work! I'm sure Sukritact wouldn't mind if you took our icons for the Japanese wonders (Horyu-ji, Itsukushima and the Golden Pavilion so far IIRC) and I know that Ambrox has made Kiyamozu-dera, which could be used. I must say I'm thoroughly looking forward to this, and I'm willing to offer help any way I can, although I'm pretty sure you've got it all covered where I can.

I'll check it out. Thanks for letting me know about these Wonders.

Thanks for the support guys. :) I won't disappoint.

More screenshots!

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Land SS1.jpg
    Land SS1.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 1,156
  • Land SS2.jpg
    Land SS2.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 1,352
  • City Attack SS1.jpg
    City Attack SS1.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 1,329
Due to the nature of this scenario (practically a war game) and the complete ineptitude of the AI at managing a war game, I have made the difficult decision to make the AI have a very large advantage at the most difficult levels. More specifically, you start with less units at higher levels and they start with more. The AI still maintains it's innate advantages from playing at a higher difficulty, and so they will expand and be more aggressive at this difficulty. This does not mean it is impossible to beat the AI at the higher levels, but just much harder. You will have to focus on survival at first and attempt not to get overwhelmed, and then you will have to make your final push during the later stages of the game. You win by having more score than the AI, so it should be your attempt to settle and conquer as much land as possible.

As it stands right now, you can gain additional score by capturing and holding Kyoto (a city-state). Capturing it grants an immediate boost of 200 and you receive 10 additional VP every turn you hold it. Hence, it may be imperative at high levels to attempt to conquer it. Being allied with Kyoto, at this moment, is useless (I can change this if you think it's better to do this, but I always liked the idea of having to conquer it, not dish gold out on it).

Of course, this also means that some starts are inherently easier than others. This is true in Shogun: Total War 2, which this mod is heavily based off of, so it should not come off as a surprise that this is the case. It is up to you to decide which civilization you are comfortable playing as, but it is nice to know that every civilization grants you a different play style each time you play as them.

Lastly, it is worth noting that icons seen in the screenshots I just posted are placeholders.

New video up of the mod. Hope you guys enjoy what you see.

Enjoy my sexy voice. :p

Link to video.

Awesome video Putmalk! And you asked for ideas for the Dutch, how about resources like firearms or something that they have that allow the player to build gunpowder units?

Actually sounds like an awesome idea. I'll get on that.

Top Bottom