Puzzles, Positions, and...

A nice puzzle I just had on chesstempo.com. The puzzle started one move earlier, 1. Qxe3 Kg7 but I thought those moves were kind of besides the point of the problem.

It is white to play.

Spoiler :
1. Nh5+, gh; 2. Qg5+, Kh8; 3. Rd8, Rxd8; 4. Qxd8+, Kg7; 5. Qf6+, Kg8; 6. Qxf7+, Kh8; 7. Qf8 mate

Or 1. ..., Kg8; 2. Qh6, gh; 3. Qg5+ transposes.

Or 1. ..., Kh8; 2. Qh6, Rg8; 3. Rd8 mates.

Spoiler :
3. Rd8 is good but there is an even more forcing move. After Rd8 black doesn't play RxR but must sac the queen with Be6 after which white is much better but still may have to play on for 20-odd more moves (unless black's a good sport & resigns immediately).

Nice thread.
My apologies for not having contributed before, but it is never to late.
Here is a rather easy one from a game between two very strong grandmasters, White to play and win.

Spoiler :
Doesn't Nd5 win material? Black seems to be pinned in about a dozen directions. If Black captures on c5 he loses the Queen and the Bishop, and capturing on d5 (either way) loses the Rook.

Spoiler :
Doesn't Nd5 win material? Black seems to be pinned in about a dozen directions. If Black captures on c5 he loses the Queen and the Bishop, and capturing on d5 (either way) loses the Rook.
Correct, my friend.:goodjob:
Will post another one tomorrow.
By the way, the position is from the game Chandler - Vaganian, Dubai Olympiad 1986.

Top Bottom