1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pyramids can be built only on desert tiles

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Krajzen, May 12, 2016.

1. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

Bear in mind that these screenshots are always heavily staged to show us certain aspects of the game and aren't necessarily meant to be taken at face value.

2. isau

isau Warlord

This doesn't sound different to me than having to search for specific resources early if you want them (horses, iron, etc). If you're a wondermonger, place your cities where they make sense for what you need.

3. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

I dont really understand this post. You have to have a costal city if you wanted to build the great light house, the colossus, or any other naval wonder. I dont really see how this is that much different on land (desert for petra, mountain for machu pichu). And it also fleshes out the resources for wonder production thing. Whats the beef?

4. meatpardle

meatpardle Chieftain

Makes sense to me. Anything that drives diversity based on civilization choices and terrain locations is a good thing.

5. meatpardle

meatpardle Chieftain

Absolutely, they'll be created to show a variety of things in a single screenshot, and as such that may never be possible in the finished version.

6. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

where is Petra on the tech tree and where is the Pyramids?

in the context of early (early as in position on the tech tree) wonders it will add nothing. almost always these wonders will be build by the capital that satisfies the tile requirements due to the generosity of the map generator.
    there is another issue that some terrain types are better (based on yields) than others. all else being equal, spending one grassland tile among many, on Stonehenge is preferable to spending one desert tile among many, on Pyramids.

early wonders should be requirement-free. classical wonders and beyond may have tile requirements.

if all else fails, moders should fix the game.

7. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

Modders should never 'fix' the game, they should expand and enrich it :p Fixing the game and making it not terrible is the responsibility of devs and no game should be defended by the argument 'mods can fix it'. If anything, it should be last resort desperate consolation 'the base game has huge flaws, ehhh at least modders will probably fix it'.

Anyway,

the responses in this thread actually convinced me, partially at least, that wonder restrictions may not be bad thing. Or even if I disliked it, that other people would enjoy such limitation, so I shouldn't use the argument of 'common good'.

8. BttLsht

BttLsht Chieftain

Terrain requirements for all wonders are a welcome change in my book as it allows for more balance, but the real problem will always be that certain wonders would be inherently stronger than other thus making spawn bias again something way too important than it should be.

9. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

what if... multiple wonders give the same or approximate version of a buff?

Can't build the pyramid? no problem, Mausoleum of Halicarnassus gives an approximate buff.

Design wise, it would be easier to balance 4-5 major types of wonder buffs per era, although actual buildable wonders could easily be double or triple that

10. BttLsht

BttLsht Chieftain

No no no :(

What you just described is pretty much the opposite of what wonders are supposed to be, they should be completely unique and separate from each other allowing for niche playstyles.
    they shouldn't give you an improvement in every department but should make some playstyles more viable with them.

11. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

As someone who fanatically builds wonders, this is going to have a huge effect on my playstyle and I look forward to adapting to the challenge. Building wonders will become an increasingly tactical decision, as each city can only support a certain number of them, wonders take away tiles needed for other purposes, and wonders have restrictions where they can be built. Despite my fondness of building every wonder I can get my hands on in my capital, I rather like how this will more realistically distribute wonders.

12. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Yup, same boat here, I'm curious to see how this changes my gameplay.

Now if only it was closer to release :mischief:

13. dexters

Alternatively, they will go down the path of what they've been doing in BNW, which is to lock wonders behind playstyles.

So Civ6's equivalent of Civis/social policies/governments could very well allow you to allot certain districts that would make it possible to build a wonder of a certain type .

The pyramid on sand thing is a bit of a red herring IMHO. A whole lot of wonders will be more dependent on districting than on just terrain type

14. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I think that the wonders need more restirctions so that you can't plop say the Statue of Zeus on a your only Snow tile and still benefit from all the other areas around your city.

I think it's a balance thing that could make more opportunity cost, "you want Artemis and the extra food? but you gotta sacrifice a hill for it!" kind of thing (ToA bonus a reference to Civ 5 btw)

15. dexters

I think the district spanning wonders is already the opportunity cost.

I'm talking more generally about the complaint upthread at Pyramids only on desert is too restrictive and responding generally about how wonders might operate.

Ed Beach and his team has been moving away from Wonders as the be all buildings and toning down their power a bit, while also spreading the wealth by locking some wonders behind certain policies/strategies/geography, so it's really a continuation of that.

16. AlphaShard

AlphaShard Chieftain

They did not say that Stonehenge needed to be on grassland, they said it had to be built near stone. Not to mention in Civ IV there was a resource bonus to building it faster if you had said stone.

17. Trappisto

Trappisto Chieftain

I think they want early and mid game civs to be somewhat a product of their environment and actions. I think this is kinda cool, but the effect should certainly diminish from mid game onwards.

18. Karmah

Karmah Chieftain Supporter

Except stonehenge has a early 1 engeener point which usually turns into an engineer early renaissance , late middle age. My point being , its a strategical choice to get a religion and another wonder like sixtine or forbidden palace.

19. unpossible251

unpossible251 Chieftain

Theres a lot of criticism floating around, but i'm quite excited.

The restrictions? Hopefully not too restrictive, and still leave most every civ start winnable or playable. Lots of jungle give angkor watt a bonus, while desert civ takes pyramids. Whoever got copper and the coast takes the colossus, while statue of zeus next to iron inland. Not sure how it will work, but im excited

20. Denkt

Denkt Reader

You will have to adept more to the terrain. If you start near tundra it is not likely that you will build the pyramids for example.